[SOLVED] constant bsod with different stop codes.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 22, 2019
ive been having constant crashing on a new ryzen7 build, every crash is a different stop code i have clean installed windows several times, got new ram, psu, and gpu, still having a constant crash at random intervals but mostly when the system is strained like playing games or sometimes while just watching a video, i know its not a thermal issue to as im always around 50-60c at load. im at a total loss for this i feel i have tried everything with no results and just want to be able to use my pc again.

specs: Ryzen 7 3700x

evga 2080 super

Arorus x570 elite

G skill 32gig 3600mhz

rmx750x psu

Samsung 500gig, ssd Wd 2t hdd

Solution
I've seen these kinds of deals turn out to be anything, lots of different off the wall goofball things that you'd never think. Bad cable somewhere, bad PSU, motherboard standoff in the wrong spot under the motherboard or extra standoff where there is no hole for one in the motherboard and shorting something out, bad drive, bad external USB device, lots of things.

But, I really feel like this is either bent pins or a faulty CPU. It certainly COULD be memory, but it's difficult to believe that two different sets of memory (Yes, that first set with a bad stick might well have NOT been a bad stick) on the same system would be faulty.

Colif

Win 11 Master
dumps show no indication of a driver to blame

If BIOS is new, its not showing any sysinfo data to the dump file as gardenmans file would show info if it was provided.

Any reason why you running win 10 Insider preview? You have version 19041 installed, it was only released 7 days ago - https://blogs.windows.com/windowsde...ows-10-sdk-preview-build-19041-available-now/

Insider builds can cause errors that the rtm build don't have.

Yes, if you are running insider builds, that is almost certainly why you are having issues. It's probably not stable with your hardware. I would highly recommend that you do a clean install and do NOT install an insider preview. Use the media creation tool from the microsoft website, opt OUT of the insider preview through your account settings in windows security and update BEFORE doing the clean install so it does not try to update you to the slow or fast ring previews after you install the stable build version over again.

Dec 22, 2019
dumps show no indication of a driver to blame

If BIOS is new, its not showing any sysinfo data to the dump file as gardenmans file would show info if it was provided.

Any reason why you running win 10 Insider preview? You have version 19041 installed, it was only released 7 days ago - https://blogs.windows.com/windowsde...ows-10-sdk-preview-build-19041-available-now/

Insider builds can cause errors that the rtm build don't have.
I was doing some searching for my problem and saw that insider can sometimes fix problems but I had more issues with insider than with stable windows and I had thought I was back to stable windows with a clean install a few days ago( before the dump files were created ) maybe I did not fully opt out of insider's. Any reason why it wouldn't show sysinfo if the bios is up to date?

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current build number is 18363.535

If you any higher than that, you still on insider. You may need to follow Darkbreezes instructions to revert to normal

Use the media creation tool from the microsoft website, opt OUT of the insider preview through your account settings in windows security and update BEFORE doing the clean install so it does not try to update you to the slow or fast ring previews after you install the stable build version over again.

Dec 22, 2019
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter
current build number is 18363.535

If you any higher than that, you still on insider. You may need to follow Darkbreezes instructions to revert to normal
So it says I'm not apart of insider's anymore but my version is 19041.1 and that's definitely a insider's build lol I'll do a nother fresh install and see what's happens

I would go into my settings in Windows settings, on the Security and updates applet. Click on the Windows insider program option and if it says you are enrolled, opt out of it. THEN, log into your Microsoft account in your browser. Find the options for the insider program and make SURE you are not listed as enrolled there either. You might ALSO have to contact Microsoft technical support, and tell them you have done both of those things, and are still being updated to insider builds so they can manually unsubscribe you from it.

THEN, do a clean install. Otherwise, it does no good to do a clean install if it is simply going to update you again anyhow.

Dec 22, 2019
I would go into my settings in Windows settings, on the Security and updates applet. Click on the Windows insider program option and if it says you are enrolled, opt out of it. THEN, log into your Microsoft account in your browser. Find the options for the insider program and make SURE you are not listed as enrolled there either. You might ALSO have to contact Microsoft technical support, and tell them you have done both of those things, and are still being updated to insider builds so they can manually unsubscribe you from it.

THEN, do a clean install. Otherwise, it does no good to do a clean install if it is simply going to update you again anyhow.
Okay so I'm back down to stable windows (18363) and still crashes but I think I have a Lead as to why, when I put my pc under load I hear a coil wind coming from the chipset part of my mobo, I swapped to older gpu(thinking my 2080super was the cause of the coilwind) and it still persists under load. I think this all stems from my mobo now...

I'd pull the CPU cooler and CPU, and make sure there are no bent pins. If there are not, then it could be a motherboard problem. It's uncommon to hear anything from the motherboard, but it does occasionally happen. When it does, it's generally from something drawing an abnormal amount of power through the voltage regulation and power delivery section of the board, or a faulty board.

Dec 22, 2019
I'd pull the CPU cooler and CPU, and make sure there are no bent pins. If there are not, then it could be a motherboard problem. It's uncommon to hear anything from the motherboard, but it does occasionally happen. When it does, it's generally from something drawing an abnormal amount of power through the voltage regulation and power delivery section of the board, or a faulty board.
So an update to this mess, got new mobo and problems still persists but now memtest is giving errors on test 8 specifically cpu6 is the address, stick one first pass and, stick 2 the 2nd or 3rd pass. So I think the cause of this is my cpu unless you guys have another idea.

Are you 200% certain there are no bent pins, not even minimally bent, on your CPU? If the CPU was the problem then you should have been getting errors on Memtest before, same as now. Changing motherboards would not have suddenly caused Memtest to start failing if the problem had not already been there with the other motherboard as well. At least not normally. Maybe CPU wasn't bent before but is now?

Download Prime95 latest version. Run it. Choose the "Small FFT option", not "Smallest FFT", just "Small FFT". Disable the AVX and AVX2 options by removing the check next to one and then the other down below in the options on the pop up window you get when you run Prime95.

Try running it for an hour or two and see what happens. If it passes, choose Exit from the file menu. Don't just click the X in the top right corner. That won't shut down the program, it will continue to run in the system tray.

Then open it again and choose Blend mode this time. Disable AVX and AVX2 again. Run it for as long as it will run without an error. If there are ANY errors on either test, stop the test immediately and close Prime95 as there is no point in continuing after an error occurs.

Dec 22, 2019
Are you 200% certain there are no bent pins, not even minimally bent, on your CPU? If the CPU was the problem then you should have been getting errors on Memtest before, same as now. Changing motherboards would not have suddenly caused Memtest to start failing if the problem had not already been there with the other motherboard as well. At least not normally. Maybe CPU wasn't bent before but is now?

Download Prime95 latest version. Run it. Choose the "Small FFT option", not "Smallest FFT", just "Small FFT". Disable the AVX and AVX2 options by removing the check next to one and then the other down below in the options on the pop up window you get when you run Prime95.

Try running it for an hour or two and see what happens. If it passes, choose Exit from the file menu. Don't just click the X in the top right corner. That won't shut down the program, it will continue to run in the system tray.

Then open it again and choose Blend mode this time. Disable AVX and AVX2 again. Run it for as long as it will run without an error. If there are ANY errors on either test, stop the test immediately and close Prime95 as there is no point in continuing after an error occurs.
500% sure there are no bent pins, and I will try prime95 now.

That sounds very much like a problem with poor grounding or something caught between the motherboard and the case/motherboard try, OR, bent pins on the CPU. Could also be a problem with the front panel I/O but you changed cases didn't you?

What else is left that has not been changed at all so far?

Beginning to MAYBE start lifting an eyebrow in the direction of that RMx as well.

Dec 22, 2019
That sounds very much like a problem with poor grounding or something caught between the motherboard and the case/motherboard try, OR, bent pins on the CPU. Could also be a problem with the front panel I/O but you changed cases didn't you?

What else is left that has not been changed at all so far?

Beginning to MAYBE start lifting an eyebrow in the direction of that RMx as well.
So the case is new from when I initially build this system in, but I haven't thought about it being a i/o problem as the case and the cpu are the only thing I hasn't been replaced at this point.
replaced items, psu, gpu, ram, mobo, ssd

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019
And you've done a clean install of windows along with installing all fresh latest drivers? SINCE changing the motherboard?
Yes made a usb drive and put it all on the new m.2 my friend let me have that he didnt need.
He also mentioned trying to disable half the cores and it has yet to crash when it would have already crashed with all cores on.

Well, that X570 elite isn't a particularly capable board. It's totally possible that the issue is simply related to that board not have an adequate power delivery and voltage regulation module (VRM) configuration, or just a problem with the board period. That's the ONLY thing that would have any effect on you disabling the cores, unless there is something wrong with the CPU.

Dec 22, 2019
Well, that X570 elite isn't a particularly capable board. It's totally possible that the issue is simply related to that board not have an adequate power delivery and voltage regulation module (VRM) configuration, or just a problem with the board period. That's the ONLY thing that would have any effect on you disabling the cores, unless there is something wrong with the CPU.
The new mobo I have is the x570 MSI ace meg, and I feel like that is the only culprit left as I have replaced all but cpu and my case at this point.

Dec 22, 2019
So I've been doing more messing around in ryzen master with cores and all and I re enabled them all and it run great, so I went and turned off "game mode" in masters and crashed soon after, got back into windows enabled "game mode" and haven't crashed while playing anything even 2 games at once

Ok, so you did change out that Aorus elite board. Ok, one thing less to worry about.

As to game mode, that's helpful, since it helps, but it's also a problem. If you HAVE to enable game mode for it to work right, then there is 100% a problem with either the CPU, memory or motherboard.

Game Mode does two things: firstly, it adjusts the memory configuration. Rather than seeing the DRAM as one uniform block of memory with an ‘average’ latency, the system splits the memory into near memory closest to the active CPU, and far memory for DRAM connected via the other silicon die.

The second thing that Game Mode does is disable the cores on one of the silicon dies, but retains the PCIe lanes, IO, and DRAM support. This disables cross-die thread migration, offers faster memory for applications that need it, and aims to lower the latency of the cores used for gaming by simplifying the layout.

The downside of Game Mode is raw performance when peak CPU is needed: by disabling half the cores, any throughput limited task is going to be cut by losing half of the throughput resources. The argument here is that Game mode is designed for games, which rarely use above 8 cores, while optimizing the memory latency and PCIe connectivity.

Dec 22, 2019
Ok, so you did change out that Aorus elite board. Ok, one thing less to worry about.

As to game mode, that's helpful, since it helps, but it's also a problem. If you HAVE to enable game mode for it to work right, then there is 100% a problem with either the CPU, memory or motherboard.

Game Mode does two things: firstly, it adjusts the memory configuration. Rather than seeing the DRAM as one uniform block of memory with an ‘average’ latency, the system splits the memory into near memory closest to the active CPU, and far memory for DRAM connected via the other silicon die.

The second thing that Game Mode does is disable the cores on one of the silicon dies, but retains the PCIe lanes, IO, and DRAM support. This disables cross-die thread migration, offers faster memory for applications that need it, and aims to lower the latency of the cores used for gaming by simplifying the layout.

The downside of Game Mode is raw performance when peak CPU is needed: by disabling half the cores, any throughput limited task is going to be cut by losing half of the throughput resources. The argument here is that Game mode is designed for games, which rarely use above 8 cores, while optimizing the memory latency and PCIe connectivity.
Yea wish I had forked over a little more cash in the first place with that board but nothing else was available when the ryzen first came out lol
I think we can totally rule out the motherboard as its brand new, my buddy is going to lend me his ram so I can test my ram against his ram and if it's still an issue then we can deduce it's the cpu.

I've seen these kinds of deals turn out to be anything, lots of different off the wall goofball things that you'd never think. Bad cable somewhere, bad PSU, motherboard standoff in the wrong spot under the motherboard or extra standoff where there is no hole for one in the motherboard and shorting something out, bad drive, bad external USB device, lots of things.

But, I really feel like this is either bent pins or a faulty CPU. It certainly COULD be memory, but it's difficult to believe that two different sets of memory (Yes, that first set with a bad stick might well have NOT been a bad stick) on the same system would be faulty.

Solution
Dec 22, 2019

Yea I've been trying to rule out any possible problems before I can confirm 100% it's my cpu, tomorrow I'm going to re pull my mobo and make sure there isnt a standoff somewhere extra, test my current ram and the old set as well as my friends set but I'm almost certainly sure it's not ram. I'm even going to use my test bench and see how thing run to rule out psu, cables, i/o, or anything case related. I'm just really ready to be done with this lol