[SOLVED] Constant BSODs - whea uncorrectable error hal.dll and pshed.dll

Oct 30, 2019
Hi there,

Here's the link for my mini dump file - https://upload.cat/3c1a6d42e89f8f7c

The MEMORY.DMP is a bit too big for me to upload. Is the mini dump file okay?

Here is the WhoCrashed report:

On Wed 30/10/2019 16:04:55 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103019-9875-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x47FE8)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFD78E2607F028, 0xBA000000, 0x11000402)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 30/10/2019 16:04:55 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: pshed.dll (PSHED!PshedBugCheckSystem+0x10)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFD78E2607F028, 0xBA000000, 0x11000402)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\pshed.dll
description: Platform Specific Hardware Error Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

I have a Dell XPS 9570. I have done three fresh installs and updated all drivers and windows updates each time. These BSODs still persist.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend! - just ensuring I have the correct laptop, is it this one: Link XPS 9570 ?

I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) here: https://pste.eu/p/4Leu.html

Summary of findings:
WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
"A WHEA ERROR is almost solely hardware based. It is possible in rare circumstances for this to be a driver, however it is very unlikely. It is often caused by:
  • Component overheating
  • Unstable overclocking or XMP profile
  • Faulty hardware"

Some things to consider:
  • Consistent WHEA errors are usually hardware problems, so this is likely where we'd have to look.
  • Unfortunately the errrec record is showing an Internal Unclassified error which basically means the type of error is not publicly released in Intel documentation.

• First port of call is to verify that your temperatures are within a safe range, have you monitored CPU temperature for example? Overheating is a common cause of WHEA errors.
  • Do you have latest BIOS installed?
  • Do you have any XMP or overclocks enabled?
  • Are you using a wireless dongle or is it only the inbuilt WiFi?

Whilst we are probably looking at hardware, you could get updates for these first:
ibtusb.sys05/06/2018IntelIntel Bluetooth Filter Driverhttps://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=ibtusb.sys
Netwtw06.sys07/06/2018IntelIntel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 wifi driverhttps://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=Netwtw06.sys
RtsPer.sys30/01/2018RealtekRealTek RTS PCIE READER Driverhttps://www.sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=RtsPer.sys

Oct 30, 2019
Hi there, thank you for the response. I have just updated the Wireless, Bluetooth and Realtek drivers with the latest ones.

I should maybe mention that I have installed Intel wireless ac 9260 in late 2018 because the Killer wifi card that the XPS 9570 came with was terrible. However, the BSODs started after the release of Windows 1903. I did that update in August 2019. Before that, my laptop ran perfectly. Ever since then, it BSODs about once a day. I have done three fresh installs and it still BSODs.

My temps are great. I run a tight ship and they are never above 70. They idle at about 40-45 max. I used to undervolt, but no longer do. I don't overlcock. I never use a WiFi dongle.

I ran HD Tune Pro , Intel Processor Diagnsotic Tool and Dell pre boot diagnostics and they all came back fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hi, as PC asked, are you on newest bios?
WHEA errors can be fixed by updating bios.
WHEA can be hardware or software. 3 installs and still getting errors, sure looks like hardware. UNlikely to get same bad drivers 3 installs in a row.

I would look at PC tailors paste file and see what it showed, except for some strange reason Bitdefender has decided to block the page so I can't. It only started this week.

are killer drivers showing as installed PC? possible the 1903 update might have installed drivers?

Any errors showing in device manager?

Oct 30, 2019
Hi,

Yes I am on newest BIOS. And the Killer drivers are not installed. No errors in device manager.

You would think it was hardware, given the fresh installs. But the coincidence of this happening the same day I updated 1903. It's too much. I had never had a single issue with this laptop for 6 months. It ran like a dream.

Oct 30, 2019
Hi there,

Can anyone help in identifying the cause of this BSOD?

WhoCrashed Mini Dump File -https://upload.cat/72d9e88490fa6a91

Wndows Event Log - https://upload.cat/0f9a1af622e28a05

WhoCrashed:

On Wed 30/10/2019 21:43:56 your computer crashed or a problem was reported

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\103019-8500-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms2.sys (0xFFFFF806202B9C62)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x62DD8F71B, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF806202B9C62)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 30/10/2019 21:43:56 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: dxgmms2.sys (0xFFFFF806202B9C62)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x62DD8F71B, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF806202B9C62)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
description: DirectX Graphics MMS
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have run the dump file(s) and you can see the full report(s) here: https://pste.eu/p/or95.html

Summary of findings:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
"Typically this is driver based, as it is when a module tries to access an invalid address when the IRQL is too high.

If a driver responsible for the error can be identified, its name is printed on the blue screen and stored in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver.

It is recommended that you view the third party modules to see which drivers may be misbehaving."

Some things to consider:
- The DX is your microsoft graphics, it appears that when this comes into the stack, there is a page fault that then leads to the bug check. It may be worth trying to revert the GPU drivers to the last state and see if this helps, but could also indicate a GPU issue, especially if your previous errors were WHEA.

I have installed Intel wireless ac 9260 in late 2018 because the Killer wifi card that the XPS 9570 came with was terrible.
  • So you manually installed a different wireless adapter? This might be a problem, but it's case of gradual elimination.
  • Have you ensured all other drivers are up to date? There is an older PCIe driver present:
RtsPer.sys30/01/2018RealtekRealTek RTS PCIE READER Driver

Might be worth running Driver Verifier to see if it pulls anything out, if it doesn't i'd still look at hardware:
https://www.sysnative.com/forums/threads/driver-verifier-bsod-related-windows-10-8-1-8-7-vista.29/

Colif

Win 11 Master
he has latest Nvidia Drivers, I would be more inclined to think it was them than the intel drivers. I am sure they must work for someone but all i seen is trouble. Try doing this and instead of installing drivers from Nvidia, run windows update and let it find the card's drivers - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I decided to enable the viewing of paste.eu until I can find an alternative

Solution
Oct 30, 2019
he has latest Nvidia Drivers, I would be more inclined to think it was them than the intel drivers. I am sure they must work for someone but all i seen is trouble. Try doing this and instead of installing drivers from Nvidia, run windows update and let it find the card's drivers - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

I decided to enable the viewing of paste.eu until I can find an alternative

You know, I have this gut feeling that it's related to the video drivers.

Just had a crash right now, whilst watching something in VLC. Pressed rewind and then a BSOD. No crash report though, stayed at 0%.

I do have the latest nvidia because they badger me about the "latest game ready driver".

If I use DDU (which I have in the past), Windows will automatically download a driver for Nvidia as soon as I log in. So, should I let it do that, then not update it with geforce experience?

The reason I download geforce experience is because after I have used DDU, the nvidia control panel often disappears and only seems comes back when I install an nvidia card from their site.

Right now I'm running version 441.08 for the 1050 Ti.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If I use DDU (which I have in the past), Windows will automatically download a driver for Nvidia as soon as I log in. So, should I let it do that, then not update it with geforce experience?
Correct.

There has been a mixed bag with latest NVIDIA drivers. I know many who haven't had a problem with it, but myself and Colif have come across multiple where the latest NVIDIA drivers appear to be at the forefront, so it's a possibility.

The reason I download geforce experience is because after I have used DDU, the nvidia control panel often disappears and only seems comes back when I install an nvidia card from their site.
The NVIDIA control panel is built into the NVIDIA downloadable driver installer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It is a trap, I see Nvidia drivers and I feel it is almost too obvious.

recently I seen a lot of people with 10 series cards and many had problems associated with newest Nvidia drivers. At some point they start supporting the newer cards over old, its why I no longer bother updating drivers for my GTX 980 as they work. I might only see the problems here though :)

The drivers from MIcrosoft are just old Nvidia drivers, so they include the control panel.

Oct 30, 2019
My god, I think it has worked. Rolling back both the nvidia and intel graphics drivers to the default 2018 versions. Especially the nvidia.

All this time. Nvidia. Why god damn you.