Question Constant BSOD's with no dump file

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Icy_Tuna

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Alright so here's the long story of my crashes:

To start off, here's a Speccy snapshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/yr3A6dMmgAiCZpzooyeh3Dr

I upgraded to the mentioned GPU a few months ago now, along with a new PSU. Ever since though, Every 2 weeks or so I get a bluescreen right out of the blue (saying CRITICAL PROCESS DIED), not doing anything in particular. Rebooting the PC afterwards gives me another BSOD after about 5 minutes. Here's a short list of what I've tried so far:

-Reinstalled Win10
-Reset and updated Bios
-Bought new SATA cables
-hecked every single cable in the PC
-Ran check software on every piece of hardware including RAM
-Reinstalled GPU driver several times
-Contacted AMD support, their methods didn't help
-Ran all the usual stuff like sfc, chkdsk and so on
-Stayed in Safe Mode for a long time to check if the hardware was any problem, which worked fine
-Checked all the temps, was fine

The big problem now is that my PC also cannot create dump files for some reason.
When I leave the BSOD screen running (even over the night) it stays on 0% constantly and if I hard reset, the event viewer says this: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
I'm honestly so tired of this happening, especially since I just cant find out what the problem is. The only thing that kinda stops the constant Bluescreens is simply waiting for some reason (sometimes reinstalling the GPU driver helps for some reason but that might aswell just randomly appear so)

I am seeking help from you guys now, any help would be much appreciated!

Icy_Tuna

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Are you still getting the windows boot manager at startup thing?

I would love too have a crystal ball and tell you what cause is. I think its related to the ssd though, as now you clean installed there should be nothing to stop it making a dump.

https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-dump-file-creation-failed-due-to-error-during-dump-creation/

I assume you aren't using ccleaner

to test if its sys file corruption
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

As for the 3rd reason, you appear to be on the newest BIOS now.

If windows is corrupted right after a clean install it would make me think there is something wrong with the ssd.

The problem with critical process died BSOD is it can be caused by a range of windows processes, some are used for logon, some are used for user services and others relate to boot up. Because you can't actually get any dumps and they weren't showing as errors in that sysnative report I am sort of locked out of knowing which process is crashing. I could guess its login but only as its confirms my idea its the ssd. But I am not sure.
Hey, I have tried your suggested fixes and no errors occured since then, but I wanted to give it a bigger "sample size" and wait a few more days to see if the problem persists.

Weirdly enough, it just happened again, this time with a completely different message though:
VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE
possible cause amdgrfxg.sys

Also, I FINALLY received a damn dumpfile! :) I'm sending it here in the hopes that you or somebody would be kind enough to analyze it for me :)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArtlRH9ETk7fkBJ5ptFHcaMKbez_?e=l6NQQ5

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://colonicasianelephant.htmlpasta.com/

File information:033020-6703-01.dmp (Mar 30 2020 - 06:16:58)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_TDR_ERROR (116)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for amdgrfxg.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-B360M-A/
It appears you have the latest BIOS already installed, version 2603.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Icy_Tuna

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020

Icy_Tuna

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Thank you! Have now tried doing a clean install of an older driver, but it did crash again right after, so I cant really tell if that helped yet.
Edit: Nope. still the same issue.
Since MOST of my crashes still are "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED" I have decided to just get myself a new SSD new (the Samsung 860 EVO) since I kinda figured my current one just sucks. I really hope this fixes my problem then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
If I had to guess, I would say it is a good chance it is ssd. Only as if you keep getting the same error, and that error is caused by corrupt files, and you get it on 2 installs, and don't use same USB to install both times (removing chance the corrupt install is caused by USB), then it has to be the storage you are using.

At least we started to get dump files after 2nd install. If they had remained impossible to get, I would be pretty sure its ssd.

if it wasn't so destructive I would suggest installing win 10 on hdd and see if you get same errors. But thats a lot of messing around. 2nd ssd isn't a waste really if you find it doesn't fix... I could use 2 myself.

Icy_Tuna

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
If I had to guess, I would say it is a good chance it is ssd. Only as if you keep getting the same error, and that error is caused by corrupt files, and you get it on 2 installs, and don't use same USB to install both times (removing chance the corrupt install is caused by USB), then it has to be the storage you are using.

At least we started to get dump files after 2nd install. If they had remained impossible to get, I would be pretty sure its ssd.

if it wasn't so destructive I would suggest installing win 10 on hdd and see if you get same errors. But thats a lot of messing around. 2nd ssd isn't a waste really if you find it doesn't fix... I could use 2 myself.

Hey again, thank you so much for still sticking around with me, I felt like letting you in on some progress so far and I'd love to hear some feedback since your support so far has been outstanding.

So before I actually went and bought the SSD I also figured that my PSU might have been an issue since I was well below the recommended wattage of my GPU. Installing it has proven to not be the case however, since the problem persists in just the same way.

Currently I'm also running Memtest86 to check my RAM again to rule that out entirely too. Looking good so far though.
One thinf I'm wondering is however, how can CrystalDisk and such detect perfectly healthy drives yet I get this weird issue of BSOD's? That's the only thing keeping me from instantly replacing the SSD, the fact that all checks seem to be alright.

Would you have any insight on why exactly the SSD could still be at fault? Is it even possible despite the fact that tests show a healthy drive?

Cheers

Colif

Win 11 Master
Tests aren't perfect? I have helped people before who have tested the hdd (for example) using 2 different programs and yet replacing it fixes issue. It normally applies to ram though.

This is why I don't like blind suggestions. I would be more likely to get PC repaired and ask them to help identify cause, than to buy new parts and hope they fix problem. People have done that very thing after we troubleshooted here just to find a part we found was fine, was the problem. Testing from a distance is only so good.

Icy_Tuna

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
Tests aren't perfect? I have helped people before who have tested the hdd (for example) using 2 different programs and yet replacing it fixes issue. It normally applies to ram though.

This is why I don't like blind suggestions. I would be more likely to get PC repaired and ask them to help identify cause, than to buy new parts and hope they fix problem. People have done that very thing after we troubleshooted here just to find a part we found was fine, was the problem. Testing from a distance is only so good.
I fully understand, as the recipient of suggestions I personally also don't want to hear "Yeah I know EXACTLY what your problem is, do this->".
So once again thanks for your continued awesome support and guidance.

Btw, just installed the new SSD and even did a clean install again instead of transfering data just to be safe. So far everything looks good! Also I'm getting MUCH better read/write speeds so generall the SSD was a good purchase, just have to see if that fixes my crashes, I have a good feeling though.

Also a funny thing I thought I could share with you: For the longest time I apparently also had a usb lamp plugged into my PC (Usually I'm not at all that reckless/stupid, but I was so focused on fixing that machine that I always kept plugging that lamp back in, not knowing what the cable was even for o_O) And right after I did that, the current crash "period" ended. Whether that might've been an issue too or not, I will never find out but at the end of the day I couldn't care less if my PC is stable again :LOL:

Colif

Win 11 Master
USB devices when they dying can cause the weirdest behaviour. maybe it was drawing more power than it should and it was enough to cause other parts to be odd. I had dying speakers in the past cause windows not to load desktop. That had me looking at GPU when all along it was something else. I had a mouse cause my monitor to turn off.

As i said, peripherals can be odd.

Or maybe its nothing.
We don't have enough evidence.

Sometimes I do know exactly what problem is but that is only if its a software problem :)

Icy_Tuna

Prominent
Jan 8, 2020
USB devices when they dying can cause the weirdest behaviour. maybe it was drawing more power than it should and it was enough to cause other parts to be odd. I had dying speakers in the past cause windows not to load desktop. That had me looking at GPU when all along it was something else. I had a mouse cause my monitor to turn off.

As i said, peripherals can be odd.

Or maybe its nothing.
We don't have enough evidence.

Sometimes I do know exactly what problem is but that is only if its a software problem :)
Alright, here's a kinda weird update that might give you a clue:

I think I told you before, the crashes always seem to go a certain way, first, my PC restarts without a BSOD or anything of the sort and after that I get the BSODS 5 minutes after booting for about a day.

Well, with the new SSD that kind of changed. What's happening now is that I still sometimes get the random restart (mostly while playing intense games) but after that no issues at all. Now this already is a MASSIVE upgrade for me since I can deal with the random restart no problem.

It does seem interesting to me though, possibly the crashes itself are caused by something else, but the Bluescreen I kept getting was due to the old SSD not being able to handle said crash?

Colif

Win 11 Master
restarts with no BSOD tend not to be windows.

Have you cleaned inside case recently? Heat can cause restarts.
You could run HWINFO in background during a game and see if it logs any low voltages in the power rails
download this - https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/hwinfo64-download.html
when you run the program, tick next to sensors only and click run.
in the next window, along bottom are icons.
On the icon to the right of the clock, cclicck the button that show "loggin start" as a hover over text.
this opens file explorer and lets you name a log file so you can track it. - you would need to start this each time you want to save recordings.
It saves files as CSV which can be read in Google docs orr Excel.
If you want, upload the results and I see if I can see a reason. If anything, there is tmi in the files. Its easy to drown :)

Another reason for restarts is GPU and you already had Video TDR errors on the previous install or was that this one?