Question Constant Fan Activity after Installing HP updates through Windows Optional Updates

LucidLCD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013
Hello everyone,

I own an HP Pavilion Laptop model 15-cs3001nj. Yesterday, I installed the following HP updates through Windows Optional Updates:

HP Inc. - Firmware - 15.21.0.0
HP Inc. - HIDClass - 2.1.17.3
HP Development Company, L.P. - System - 7.0.22.3
HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 1.64.3630.0

After installing these updates, I noticed that my laptop's fan is constantly running (apart from very brief intermissions when it's silent (for about 30 or so seconds). I already tried performing the following actions, without success:

• Disabling the "Fan Always On" in the Bios (this option was already disabled when the issue occured).
  • Changing the Cooling Policy to Passive through the power plan options.
  • Making sure all my drivers are up-to-date.
  • Trying to uninstall the above updates through Windows Update History (the aforementioned are not listed there)
  • Checking for heavy programs or CPU-consuming processes running (there are none, checked via Task Manager).
  • Restarting the PC with all peripherals disconnected.
  • Returning Bios to setup defaults.
  • The laptop has an external cooling pad, and the machine itself does not emit heat.

I noticed after the fact that the firmware version I installed through Windows Update is intended for Win 10,
whereas my OS is Windows 11:

Sharonis2020_0-1708617849311.png

Additional previous BIOS version info via HP Assistant:

Sharonis2020_0-1708618754058.png

From what I read online, it is impossible to downgrade/rollback the firmware version I installed.
I am not sure what is causing the constant fan activity problem or how to resolve the issue.

I have a few questions about this matter:
a. Is it possible that the firmware version I downloaded, which is intended for Windows 10, is incompatible with Win 11 currently installed on my PC? Might the difference in intended operating systems cause some of the fan issues I am currently experiencing?

b. Is there a way to remove/uninstall the additional HP software updates I downloaded and installed on my PC? Despite being obtained via Windows Update, they are not listed under the Updates History.

c. Is it possible to download the previous firmware version from the HP website and install it on top of the current one?

d. Is there a way to reduce the level of fan activity (I mentioned the methods I already tried above)?

Your assistance/input/suggestions on these matters will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Reactions: madaraosenpai

madaraosenpai

Honorable
Oct 27, 2018
a. Firmware is by definition something tied to the hardware. If there was some sort of fan control software on your OS side that needed to talk to that exact firmware then having the wrong one could make sense, otherwise, it shouldn't make any difference what OS you're running. The BIOS is a type of firmware. Some stuff for controlling the BIOS from the OS is usually standard between OEMs so I don't think this is really an issue.

b. It's either an additional program or some kind of driver. The HIDClass one is a TouchPad driver I assume. It may not show up under update history since it's not actually a Windows update, in that case you might have to dig around a little.

c. Probably. Unless they're doing something weird, the old firmware should completely overwrite the new one without leaving much trace.

d. Assuming there's no fan control options in the BIOS then there are tools like FanControl or SpeedFan which are capable of controlling the CPU fan from the OS.

Reactions: LucidLCD

LucidLCD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2013

a. Firmware is by definition something tied to the hardware. If there was some sort of fan control software on your OS side that needed to talk to that exact firmware then having the wrong one could make sense, otherwise, it shouldn't make any difference what OS you're running. The BIOS is a type of firmware. Some stuff for controlling the BIOS from the OS is usually standard between OEMs so I don't think this is really an issue.

b. It's either an additional program or some kind of driver. The HIDClass one is a TouchPad driver I assume. It may not show up under update history since it's not actually a Windows update, in that case you might have to dig around a little.

c. Probably. Unless they're doing something weird, the old firmware should completely overwrite the new one without leaving much trace.

d. Assuming there's no fan control options in the BIOS then there are tools like FanControl or SpeedFan which are capable of controlling the CPU fan from the OS.
Hi Madaraosenpai,

Thank you for the comprehensive reply! I addressed the points further below:

a. As far as I know, no dedicated cooling or fan control software or element, such as the legacy HP CoolSense, is installed on my PC. It is quite a relief to know that despite the firmware OS specifications, it shouldn't cause problems with my laptop.

b. Thanks for clarifying the source of one of the components I installed. Do you think one of them might be responsible for the increased fan activity? I will try researching the topic further and see if I can somehow get rid of these software elements.

c. The firmware version notes state that the update cannot be rolled back. Would it potentially pose any risk if I downloaded the previous version I had (F.18) and tried running it on my PC? I want to avoid corrupting or losing any existing data.

d. Thanks for the software suggestions; I will look into them. In the meantime, I installed Core Temp (thermal tracking program) to monitor the CPUs' activity. When the laptop loads, the fan speed increases, the CPU is at 100%, and the core temperature ranges between 50-60+ Celsius. I used Task Manager to identify the overloading processes and either disabled them or moved them to Efficiency Mode. However, the problem persists.

Do you have any suggestions on reducing the CPU overload on startup? I am truly at my wit's end about this one.

e. I read some posts online about other HP laptop-issued models released between 2019 and 2020 that suffer from the same issue, and someone suggested it might be a manufacturing defect.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond to my queries; I greatly appreciate it and learn from the process.

Reactions: madaraosenpai
Jul 29, 2024
Hello everyone,

I own an HP Pavilion Laptop model 15-cs3001nj. Yesterday, I installed the following HP updates through Windows Optional Updates:

HP Inc. - Firmware - 15.21.0.0
HP Inc. - HIDClass - 2.1.17.3
HP Development Company, L.P. - System - 7.0.22.3
HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 1.64.3630.0

After installing these updates, I noticed that my laptop's fan is constantly running (apart from very brief intermissions when it's silent (for about 30 or so seconds). I already tried performing the following actions, without success:

• Disabling the "Fan Always On" in the Bios (this option was already disabled when the issue occured).
  • Changing the Cooling Policy to Passive through the power plan options.
  • Making sure all my drivers are up-to-date.
  • Trying to uninstall the above updates through Windows Update History (the aforementioned are not listed there)
  • Checking for heavy programs or CPU-consuming processes running (there are none, checked via Task Manager).
  • Restarting the PC with all peripherals disconnected.
  • Returning Bios to setup defaults.
  • The laptop has an external cooling pad, and the machine itself does not emit heat.

I noticed after the fact that the firmware version I installed through Windows Update is intended for Win 10,
whereas my OS is Windows 11:

Sharonis2020_0-1708617849311.png

Additional previous BIOS version info via HP Assistant:

Sharonis2020_0-1708618754058.png

From what I read online, it is impossible to downgrade/rollback the firmware version I installed.
I am not sure what is causing the constant fan activity problem or how to resolve the issue.

I have a few questions about this matter:
a. Is it possible that the firmware version I downloaded, which is intended for Windows 10, is incompatible with Win 11 currently installed on my PC? Might the difference in intended operating systems cause some of the fan issues I am currently experiencing?

b. Is there a way to remove/uninstall the additional HP software updates I downloaded and installed on my PC? Despite being obtained via Windows Update, they are not listed under the Updates History.

c. Is it possible to download the previous firmware version from the HP website and install it on top of the current one?

d. Is there a way to reduce the level of fan activity (I mentioned the methods I already tried above)?

Your assistance/input/suggestions on these matters will be greatly appreciated!
Hello, I just installed HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 1.68.3815.0 update from Windows Update and started the same problem of fan activity, it seems to be a problem of this HP updates. I have an OMEN laptop with Ryzen 7. Did you find a solution to this? I couldn't find a way to unnistall the update.