Question Constant Frame Skips In-Game and on Desktop

May 23, 2020
Specs:
Asus Dual RTX 2080 Super
3900x
Asus x570-pro
32 gigs Ram
Corsair NVME Gen4

For a couple months now I keep getting frame skips after an extended period of time. It renders any game instantly unplayable (as the skips happen every second) and it is visible on the desktop. I have a 240hz monitor and it's apparent when sliding around windows, and on my 60hz monitor the mouse visibly skips across the screen. At first I thought it was a G-sync issue, so I disabled it, but the issue kept occurring. It only stops after a restart, but then happens again randomly. I've noticed that it happens most frequently after my PC wakes from a sleep state, or if I leave a game paused for too long. I've uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers multiple times. My CPU and GPU aren't overheating, and the GPU use isn't spiking. I've looked for other solutions but none have worked so far. Any suggestions?

Edit 1: Found out my 3600mhz ram had been running at 2133mhz following a BIOS update even though D.O.C.P. was set for 3600mhz. Will update if this fixes the issue
Edit 2: Nope, still happening

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
When going into sleep state, does the ssd also do that? Maybe in Windows energy settings set hdd/ssd never go to sleep.

Could test ram at 3200mhz, maybe that will help. Or set voltage for it to 1.4V.

What psu?=maker+model+wattage. Just ask if it isn't decent quality it might not do well with certain sleep states, but also think you would have other problems if that was the case, nevertheless maybe good to know.

May 23, 2020
Computer is set to never sleep. PSU is a Corsair RM750. It hasn't frame skipped in a couple of days at 3600mhz until like 10 minutes ago in a game of League. I had restarted my PC in the last hour, maybe that made a difference.

May 23, 2020
I set the RAM to 3200 mhz and 1.4V like you said. Checked the BIOS and it's running version 1405 (which is up to date). Worked smoothly for a bit.

I had to restart my computer for an update today and within 10 minutes of rebooting it started frame skipping. Restarted it and it frame skipped again within 10 minutes. When I restart it following a frame skipping incident, I have to manually shut off the PC or else it hangs on the windows restarting window indefinitely. Could an OS issue be the culprit for the skips?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Don't think it's windows. You could try and reinstall it, but think it wouldn't change anything. Think more drivers for the gpu or the gpu itself, maybe ram.

The ram is 32gb, is that 4 sticks or 2? Came as one set?

Maybe try not the latest from Nvidia, like 442.74, the 445.87 had imo some issues, at least with me. See that there is a completely new set nr 446.14 so maybe that can help.

Any way you can test with another gpu? Maybe kept an old as spare or maybe from a friend ...

May 23, 2020
Sorry I have replied in a while.
The skipping is back in force - I updated to Windows 10 build 2004 and I've had to restart my PC every 10 minutes. I swapped the RAM (2 sticks of 16) around, took the GPU in and put it back, and checked the CPU cooler. I'm testing if having multiple monitors affects it at all (my main and my right monitor are run straight out of the GPU, the other out of a Dell USB dock. I'm going to reinstall windows, but if that all doesn't work, I have my old 780ti in my attic - I'll try using that for a bit to see if it's the GPU.

Edit: It's definitely not multiple monitors. I tested with a single monitor and started frame skipping within 10 minutes. Going to revert back to Windows 1909 and see what happens.

Last edited:
May 23, 2020
2x16gb. It's been almost a month and this issue is still happening frequently. I can be sitting on my desktop and it'll start skipping frames. It's actually doing it as I write this.