[SOLVED] Context menus, windows explorer and desktop goes completely black.

araltan

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017
This doesn't happen eveytime I use my laptop but it does most of the time. After a while of using my laptop without forcing it too much context menus, windows exlorer and desktop goes pitch black. You cannot see anything but you can still click whatever is actually behind this black curtain. It gets fixed if I restart or log out and log in but it isn't really a fix as it takes some time to do so. I couldn't find how to attach pictures so I'll put up imgur links showing how it looks like. Any help would be appreciated.

First picture is when I right click something on google chrome and the second one is the windows explorer. Imgur Link

Laptop Model:
HP 8540w Mobile Workstation
i7-620M
nVidia Quadro FX 880M
8GB RAM
700GB Seagate SSHD
60Hz 1080p Laptop Display

Solution
Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe your laptop's performance. Watch what is happening up and through the "blackouts". See what all is running and what resources are being used/used up.

Reliability History may capturing some error code, warning, or information event that corresponds to the blackouts.

Maybe Chrome has been corrupted or there was a buggy update.

Consider reinstalling Chrome.

Likewise for the GPU drivers.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe your laptop's performance. Watch what is happening up and through the "blackouts". See what all is running and what resources are being used/used up.

Reliability History may capturing some error code, warning, or information event that corresponds to the blackouts.

Solution

araltan

Reputable
Jan 18, 2017

Chrome should be fine as this happens when I'm not using chrome aswell, graphics drivers should also be fine as I had reinstalled them a week ago (it used to happen before that as well). Latest drivers were released in 2016 anyway.

The Reliabilty History shows 2 main errors that happen which I think are tied to these blackouts. The first one is a Windows Harware Error with event name LiveKernelEvent and the second one is Windows Desktop Manager (wdm.exe) which apparently stops working with event name APPCRASH.

The reliabilty history shows many details about these errors but I don't know which ones are important or what they actually mean so I'm pretty much stuck here. And by the way thanks for the reply I at least know whats going on right now (basically).

EDIT: Spacing

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Take another look at the errors and then start googling the errors starting with the error that occurs most.

Likely that some errors are related in that there is cascade/domino effect based on one single event that starts it all.

Try running the built-in Windows troubleshooters - they may find and fix something.

Running "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) may also fix some corrupted file.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161