Controller for a guy that never used one

Silaethan

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
I'm gaming for good 15 years now and never in my life I've used controller. Sure I held both ps and xbox controllers but never used them for more than few minutes. From what I've heard it's mostly about how the controllers feels in my hands because otherwise they all work the same way. But then there is Steam controller that uses pads instead of stick on the right side. So I'm currently deciding between Xbox One controller that feels really good in my hands and Steam controller which uses pad instead of stick for camera control and might be easier to use for somebody that used keyboard an mouse his whole life.

I play mostly strategy games like Total War, UFO, Civilization, Starcraft (for those I don't plan to use controller) or 3rd person RPGs/action games like The Witcher, GTA, watch_dogs, Assassin's Creed... Or rarely some FPS game like Killing Floor or L4D2.

Solution
generally yes, controllers are more about the feel in your hands. personally i prefer playstation controllers as xbox controllers feel fat but to each their own.

as far as xbox vs steam controller i cannot say much as i dont have much experience with the steam controller. i will say that the xbox controller should work natively in windows on most titles though i'm not sure how compatible the steam controller will be with all titles

i mostly use a mouse and keyboard for pc games. i have a gamepad (tartarus) for rpg or action games which fit that better and a ps3 style controller for action games. given my console history was snes>ps1>ps2>ps3 i'm fairly set in my controller preferences by now.

not all games play nice with controllers...
generally yes, controllers are more about the feel in your hands. personally i prefer playstation controllers as xbox controllers feel fat but to each their own.

as far as xbox vs steam controller i cannot say much as i dont have much experience with the steam controller. i will say that the xbox controller should work natively in windows on most titles though i'm not sure how compatible the steam controller will be with all titles

i mostly use a mouse and keyboard for pc games. i have a gamepad (tartarus) for rpg or action games which fit that better and a ps3 style controller for action games. given my console history was snes>ps1>ps2>ps3 i'm fairly set in my controller preferences by now.

not all games play nice with controllers. for some you may need to use xbox emulator drivers (for non xbox controllers) or trick the game into using a controller by mapping the controller to arrow keys or keyboard keys for games which do not natively support controllers. most games with good native controller support however should be fine. i play many rpgs though which do not always allow good mapping or controller support so workarounds are sometimes needed in my case.

Solution

Boyyyy

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
If you are going to play action games such as the ones you have listed i recommend a controller, for fps games i also recommend you use a controller and it may be easier as aiming with a thumb stick is better than a mouse, but for strategy games it shouldn't matter. I hope i have helped.

TRENDING THREADS