Question An "Unknown USB Device" keeps disconnecting and reconnecting ?

Jun 23, 2024
I've been having this problem a few months, just had it muted in system sounds as it had no impact, but it lags my Elden Ring everytime it happens so now its a problem..

The images are here: View: https://imgur.com/a/3jkzbyU

The first screenshot is my Event Viewer but I'm unsure if it has anything to do with my issue. It seems to happen anytime I tap my PC slightly but it also happens when I'm not at my desk at all.
If i uninstall the USB device it comes back after restart. Motherboard is an MSI Z790-A MAX WIFI

try updating the device

check which device it is in the details tab of the device manager

"How do I identify an unknown device?
To identify an unknown device, go to your device manager (you can find it by right clicking the Start button). Look for the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. Right-click on the unknown device, choose "Properties," go to the "Details" tab, and select "Hardware identity documents (IDs)" from the dropdown. Google those hardware IDs; it's like a device's fingerprint that can lead you to the right driver. "(source: lenovo.com)

then try downloading the latest device driver for it

if this doesn´t work, disable the device, don´t uninstall

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Jun 23, 2024
try updating the device

check which device it is in the details tab of the device manager

"How do I identify an unknown device?
To identify an unknown device, go to your device manager (you can find it by right clicking the Start button). Look for the yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. Right-click on the unknown device, choose "Properties," go to the "Details" tab, and select "Hardware identity documents (IDs)" from the dropdown. Google those hardware IDs; it's like a device's fingerprint that can lead you to the right driver. "(source: lenovo.com)

then try downloading the latest device driver for it

if this doesn´t work, disable the device, don´t uninstall

thankyou for the reply, i tried this but unfortunately this is all i get View: https://imgur.com/a/sniKSsc

I also noticed network controller has the same yellow triangle, could it have something to do with this? The device was also already disabled.

maybe related, is it the wifi module? this one has bluetooth and is connected to USB
any bloatware installed like MSI center

Is the front and back panel working properly? check for bent pins or wrongly plugged in connections / inside USB ports and on the motherboard, where the front panel is plugged in

is the BIOS updated to the latest version?

Jun 23, 2024
maybe related, is it the wifi module? this one has bluetooth and is connected to USB
any bloatware installed like MSI center

Is the front and back panel working properly? check for bent pins or wrongly plugged in connections / inside USB ports and on the motherboard, where the front panel is plugged in

is the BIOS updated to the latest version?
bios was updated in February could that cause problems? nothing seems bent and ive tried devices in different ports and unplugging 1 by 1 but doesn't help

Colif

Win 11 Master
that program should let you remove it.

FrkMaSa.jpeg

its driver version makes me think its part of windows. 10.0.19041.4474 is a windows driver but then its using usb.inf so that is probably why.

Jun 23, 2024
even removing it in the program it just comes straight back unfortunately
that program should let you remove it.

FrkMaSa.jpeg

its driver version makes me think its part of windows. 10.0.19041.4474 is a windows driver but then its using usb.inf so that is probably why.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Jun 23, 2024
there is a New BIOS dated May 30
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-Z790-A-MAX-WIFI/support
it could help although its beta, so could grab the one from April for now.

I wonder if its the actual USB port.
device ID 002 = USB =
https://devicehunt.com/view/type/usb/vendor/1D6B/device/0002

what USB devices do you have?
Does it happen if you have unplugged them all?

code 22 in device manager = Device was disabled by user.
just keyboard mouse and controller and yeah it still happens when everything unplugged, ill have to figure out how to update bios and try that thanks