Question Controlling TV (Samsung) & soundbar with one remote

nashrobinson

Prominent
Jun 29, 2018
Hey folks,

I'm on the verge of upgrading my TV situation for the first time in about a decade. I think I have the TV narrowed down (Samsung RU8000 65"), but I'm undecided on the sound bar.

Having read some reviews on options in my price range, most recommendations point to the Yamaha YAS-207/209 edging out the Samsung HW-R550. Given my priorities, though, sound quality isn't the only factor. I'm very interested in the compatibility between the TV and soundbar; perhaps most importantly the ability to control both with the same remote. I know this is an option with the Samsung sound bar, but I couldn't pin down whether that would be possible with the Yamaha sound bar. I don't mind a little bit of extra setup out of the box to get things synced, but just don't want to deal with constantly having to get the devices on the same page. Any strong thoughts on the benefits/drawbacks of pairing the two Samsung devices vs. using a sound bar from a different manufacturer?

Thanks!

Edit:

On an unrelated note, does anyone anticipate any good deals on the horizon? I'm getting a little antsy sitting around with my 40" 1080p display right now, but obviously that's hardly a dire need, so I'm more than willing to wait it out a few weeks if price cuts are expected.

Last edited: