Cool VIA DIY Kit Puts HD in Your Hands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
They certainly spent a lot of time making sure it didn't look like something you would want on the TV stand... Can't wait to see the case mods of this in something nicer, like a wooden cigar box.

Can't wait for it in a Tom's review of net-top round up.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Tempting in its own right, I will give them that, but 243 is more than I would spend for it. An Acer Revo (http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103228) and even Lenovo has some nice nettops for about the same price.

G

I talked to my Sister about this and I said it should run, cry Sis, and do everything everyone would ever want.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
This is a great idea for anyone wanting to stream HD without using a laptop but the cost of the operating system and Wifi interface makes it a bit too expensive. It's a fairly inexpensive option for a home-based server, though, for those who may have that need.

This idea has been around for awhile. Its basically a pico ITX board inside that case. Via's been making them for a few years.

The really cool part isn't the "Mini HD" crap, this is basically a real full blown PC, just miniaturized. You can install any OS you want, provided it has driver support (all MS OS 2k+ should work fine), and do anything you want with it. Connect it to a LCD with a Keyboard / Mouse combo and you got a mini-kiosk style system that can be easily hidden behind or under something.

jackward

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
"Hard drive, compact flash module, solid state drive, SD card, wireless module, antenna, system memory and operating system must be purchased separately"

I knew the price was too good to be true,

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
I don't know. I always had a soft spot for embedded devices and SFF PCs...

This is neat stuff. Tiny little computer that can handle HD.

I'm with Honis. I want to see cigar box case mods too!

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I say they should remove two of the usb ports and replace them with something more practical like.... e-sata ports. Then you would not be affected by the size limitations of 2.5" hard drives.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
VIA needs some more lovin'.
I'd rather a $200 VIA netbook over a $300-400 Atom based netbook.
However, for what it does, it does seem a little overpriced (especially compared to other VIA based products in the past).

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
The way they show it mounted to the back of a monitor on their website would make it a good web surfing station. I could just throw one on my old 4:3 lcd lying around. Plus it would probably be easier to upgrade that than a normal all in one pc. I have to agree with everyone else though, they could have made it look a lot sleeker even by just offering it in black.

Status
Not open for further replies.