Cooler Master Closed-Loop Coolers To Be Pulled From US Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslot05qsljgo9ed

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Boy, AMD is really getting reamed from all angles in recent years, innit?

As usual this problem was brought on by AMD itself.

The article states "In December 2014, Asetek won a case against Cooler Master Incorporated'. So AMD should have been aware that using Cooler Master infringing water coolers may result in a ban.

This is just one of many examples of AMD shooting itself in the foot.

gilbadon

Distinguished
AMD can still sell the cards and Cooler Master will not have to stop making the cooler for them as once it is in the AMD card it is an AMD product. However, AMD can suffer the same loss as Cooler Master if asetek pleases.

But Fury is not competitive with the GTX 980Ti and Nano is a niche market product.

I am not quite sure that is how it works. because they have to sell them to a US company, CM will probably not be able to sell the products to AMD (if this unit is affected). They can try to get around it and that would just end them up in even more trouble.

gilbadon

Distinguished

True, I guess it depends on whether they are selling them full units or giving AMD "parts" to build their full unit. If not sold as full unit's, they will be considered AMD property (at least that is how my work treats it with the FDA).

jhanschu

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I'm not sure but if the patent they're using is only CPU specific, then there may not even be an issue. I don't believe that Asetek make dedicated GPU coolers. In the case of the Fury X there's very little probably that cooler design could be used for a CPU.

http://www.asetek.com/desktop/gpu-combo-coolers/740gn/

The only difference would be in the mounting bracket which needs to be designed to fit on a GPU instead of a CPU, so make it touch the GPU ad they have different thickness from the PCB to the top of the die (GPUs don't normally use a face plate).

Even if Asetek didn't make a GPU cooler the technology has nothing to do with just CPUs. It is how the pump sits on a AiO cooler.

alextheblue

Distinguished
This only affects Cooler Master branded products sold by Cooler Master. If you are selling Whizbang 9000 XXX graphics cards that are using a CM-sourced closed loop cooler, this doesn't affects you. Not to mention that if there WAS a problem they could just change suppliers.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Asetek is becoming a company to hate. They are stifling innovation in the AIO cooling section. They had a great CPU + GPU cooler combo Asetek 760GC for ~$70. Instead of them focusing on improving the 120mm 38mm thick radiator into something more reasonable like a 240mm or 280mm radiator they play patent troll and starts suing anyone who tries to do AIO cooling like Swittech and Coolermaster.

Asetek is becoming a company to hate. They are stifling innovation in the AIO cooling section. They had a great CPU + GPU cooler combo Asetek 760GC for ~$70. Instead of them focusing on improving the 120mm 38mm thick radiator into something more reasonable like a 240mm or 280mm radiator they play patent troll and starts suing anyone who tries to do AIO cooling like Swittech and Coolermaster.
There has been one good outcome however, the H240-X is unrivaled in terms of cooling performance to noise levels thanks to their own innovative design to avoid patent hits.

How does it not since if the cooler is in violation of said patents and it is a Cooler Master branded cooler (look at the pictures) then it is a product sold to a US company in violation of the patent by Cooler Master.

It is not to say they will take your GPU away but AMD might have to source a new OEM for the water cooler.

That is all I am saying.

Unless you are a lawyer and understand all the patent laws?

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
All I got our of that was me thinking how interesting that pic of the inside of the Fury X is. I like how they put a sort of copper pipe/heat sink over the VRMs. Very cool design.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Asetek is the biggest group of patent trolls... First Swiftech and now cooler master. Monopoly on all of the AIO systems.

they are not a patent troll, they make tons of water cooling products and practice the patent.

A patent troll is someone who holds the patent, but does not practice or use it.

Source: http://www.asetek.com/

EDIT: AIO water cooling companies are just gonna have to pay the fee until the patent expires in a couple of years. Or change their designs like Swiftech did.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

While this is true in terms of performance the H240-X is not easily mounted do to the position of the side pump/reservoir.
However, the H140-X is optimal for rear exhaust installs. Awesome unit though!

pottermd

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
"closed-loop coolers that use a pump mounted on top of a cold plate"

It seems to be a trivial idea. The patient system is broken and in the end it's costing the users.

Paul Bialozor

Honorable
May 20, 2013
It's a shame that Asetek can sue for infringement rights. Seems to me that FORD has a similar claim as it built the first car and should bring suit against EVERY CAR DEALER for Infringement rights. How absurd is this, seriously??? It's not like each CPU COOLER used the exact dimensions as Asetek's original Cooler so who cares. Just goes to show you that JUSTICE is WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD these days....

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
As usual this problem was brought on by AMD itself.
The article states "In December 2014, Asetek won a case against Cooler Master Incorporated'. So AMD should have been aware that using Cooler Master infringing water coolers may result in a ban. This is just one of many examples of AMD shooting itself in the foot.
i would hope they would be smart enough to not use coolers they already knew were part of the suit. but if so, maybe part of the contract was even that Cooler Master would have to cover any loss to AMD due to products involved.

GObonzo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
It's a shame that Asetek can sue for infringement rights. Seems to me that FORD has a similar claim as it built the first car and should bring suit against EVERY CAR DEALER for Infringement rights. How absurd is this, seriously??? It's not like each CPU COOLER used the exact dimensions as Asetek's original Cooler so who cares. Just goes to show you that JUSTICE is WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD these days....
unless there is a patent on this particular cold-plate technology that was infringed upon i don't see how this case could've ended up in Asetek's favor.

Chuckiechan

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Coolermaster of Taiwan was infringing on a patent from Denmark.

Though not a China issue, it sent a message to China as to the direction US courts are going should the Obama administration decide to point it's legal system at the mainland.

Patent infringement has been a stock in trade for Asian companies and it's time to either defend your designs or get out of the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.