Cooling an e6300

razen

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I'm really new to overclocking but i've managed to push my intel e6300 Conroe to 2.8Ghz so far. I've still got the stock cooling. My idle temps are at 56 degrees celsius so I can't really load it for long. I'm now looking for a good cooling system for my CPU but there are so many that I really don't know which one to choose.

The question is: taking into account that I would like to get my CPU to at least 3.0Ghz, what should I get to cool it down?

PS: e6300 stock speed at 1.86Ghz.

Thanks in advance.

razen

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
What about the TITAN TTC-NK85TZ? It's about the same price as the contact core freezer and it's in the first place.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
The "titan TTC" is almost the exact same design as the core "contact freezer" and in my expierience will offer very slightely worse temps than the "core contact freezer"

The tests on frosty tech are not always the same because the ambient temperature is not the same.

But imo the core contact freezer performs a little better. And it comes with an ample supply of a very decent thermal paste.

Nice cooler, pain in the ass to remove the bracket from the MB when you want to upgrade or try something else.

One of the mods in the case for my last computer was a large cutout in the motherboard tray underneath the CPU, just for that reason.

I can appreciate the mod, thing is the push pins required so much force to remove that I had to cradle the MB against my chest with my left arm while using needle nose pliers with my right in order to push them out.
At first glance I thought the push pins would have made it easier, not the case in my experience.

oh really? dont u just clip off the brackets on both sides..
The mounting bracket uses push pins to attatch to the MB, and they're not the standard Intel push pins that are used to secure the HS to the bracket.
If you "clip" them off you won't be reusing it.
I'm not trying to steer you away from using it, in my first post I was just making a statement about how tough it was to remove the mounting bracket.
I put the CCF on my brother in laws machine ( QX9650 ), then he decided he wanted to see if my XIG 1284 did any better, it didn't.

It's pretty much the same with any cooler using the Intel push pin install method.
My board sits on my techstation so I get to look at the big bend in it caused by the XIG, should probably put the backplate on it instead but I've been lazy.