[SOLVED] Cooling Fan for G3258

Jul 12, 2020
I have a G3258 and planning to do some overclocking up to 4.3 Ghz @ 1.2v. Is an Intel Stock Cooler e97379-003 good? Or should I buy another cooler? Thanks

Solution
That cpu starts out with a TDP of 53w, which is actually accurate since it has neither turbo nor hyperthreading. With OC, you can throw that out the window, the 95w stock cooler isn't enough as you'll be hitting 100w+. As you've already found out. You'll need at least something in the budget tower range, 140w-150w if you want lower max temps. Like a CM hyper212, Arctic Freezr 33, Noctua NH-U12S, Cryorig H7 etc. A 120mm AIO will work, a 140mm would be better.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can you overclock? When the G3258 first was released, there were certain motherboard bios that would allow the OC and Intel had left the cpu unlocked. Wasn't long after that vendors 'fixed' the bios and Intel put out microcode to 'fix' the cpus ability to OC.

Pretty much you'll need an original release bios on a certain few mobo's and a G3258 that's never seen a Windows update, since that's how Intel shipped the microcode.

But OC is OC, and those rules still apy regardless, so no, you'd need a better cooler than Intel stock to OC.

Jul 12, 2020
Can you overclock? When the G3258 first was released, there were certain motherboard bios that would allow the OC and Intel had left the cpu unlocked. Wasn't long after that vendors 'fixed' the bios and Intel put out microcode to 'fix' the cpus ability to OC.

Pretty much you'll need an original release bios on a certain few mobo's and a G3258 that's never seen a Windows update, since that's how Intel shipped the microcode.

But OC is OC, and those rules still apy regardless, so no, you'd need a better cooler than Intel stock to OC.
Yes, Actually, The multiplier is on 44 both cores, the problem is the temperature, it rises from 45°C to 93°C that's why I'm looking for a much reliable cooler also I am planning to apply another thermal paste since the old one is gone. My mobo is Asus H81M-C

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That cpu starts out with a TDP of 53w, which is actually accurate since it has neither turbo nor hyperthreading. With OC, you can throw that out the window, the 95w stock cooler isn't enough as you'll be hitting 100w+. As you've already found out. You'll need at least something in the budget tower range, 140w-150w if you want lower max temps. Like a CM hyper212, Arctic Freezr 33, Noctua NH-U12S, Cryorig H7 etc. A 120mm AIO will work, a 140mm would be better.

Solution
Jul 12, 2020
Is GAMMAXX 400 enough? It says here INTEL 130 W SOCKET