Question Cooling options for CPU hitting 92 degrees?

NeilDaMassTyson

Reputable
Oct 20, 2020
I have a Ryzen 7 5800x that has consistently been hitting (and staying at) 90-92 degrees when under load. I currently have a stock air cooler on it that came with the CPU.

When playing pretty much any graphically demanding game or doing anything that puts it under load the temp shoots up and stays there.

Fixes I have tried:

1. Cleaned the PC numerous times, took the heat sink off and cleaned the fins.

2. The case I have was horrid for air flow (NZXT h500i). I cut a hole in the front panel and mounted 2 120mm fans as intakes. This kept the overall case cooler but had no effect on the CPU.

3. I replaced the thermal paste with new stuff with no results.

My current configuration is the 2 fans at the front of the case as intakes, the top and rear as exhausts.

Would I be better off getting an AIO? A different air cooler? Is my fan configuration a problem? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

NeilDaMassTyson

Reputable
Oct 20, 2020
AMD is auto boosting up to 95 ,it's safe according to them.
If you want to reduce temps you can look into your bios (or ryzen master) to lower max power draw a bit until you get the temps you want, it shouldn't even affect FPS by much if any.
So this is a non issue and likely not causing performance issues with my rig? I’ve just gotten some warnings from my monitoring software saying my cpu temp was too high.

I have a Ryzen 7 5800x that has consistently been hitting (and staying at) 90-92 degrees when under load. I currently have a stock air cooler on it that came with the CPU.

When playing pretty much any graphically demanding game or doing anything that puts it under load the temp shoots up and stays there.

Fixes I have tried:

2. The case I have was horrid for air flow (NZXT h500i). I cut a hole in the front panel and mounted 2 120mm fans as intakes. This kept the overall case cooler but had no effect on the CPU.

My current configuration is the 2 fans at the front of the case as intakes, the top and rear as exhausts.

Would I be better off getting an AIO? A different air cooler? Is my fan configuration a problem? Any advice would be appreciated.
Hey there,

Look, your CPU gets hot when fully loaded. Your running the stock cooler, which is barely adequate. Get a stronger cooler, so you don't have to dial power settings. Your CPU will thank you for it.

A Thermaltake Peerless Assassin or Phantom Spirit or such would be fine.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thermal Solution: Not Included
???

The case I have was horrid for air flow (NZXT h500i). I cut a hole in the front panel and mounted 2 120mm fans as intakes. This kept the overall case cooler but had no effect on the CPU.
The Wraith cooler is type of air cooler called a downdraft. They did best in the side ventilation cases of old.
Get a tower air cooler, such as the ones mentioned above.

bignastyid

Titan

NeilDaMassTyson

Reputable
Oct 20, 2020
Thank you all for the info/suggestions. I went ahead and got a phantom spirit and went to put it in yesterday. When I removed the old cooler it was a bit stuck. I by no means “reefed” on it but the CPU did come out stuck to the cooler.

I inspected all the pins and they appear undamaged. I just placed it back in the socket with the triangles pointing to eachother and install the cooler.

Do I need to be concerned about it not posting or anything?

Additionally, my board doesn’t have a jrbgRainbow headers on it (which is the instructions for the fan say the led plug is supposed to go to. I bought an adapter to hook it to my Corsair fan controller. Has anyone else had this issue?

js2

Jul 16, 2024

Fixes I have tried:

Are you using any OC software? And is the board bios up to date? Seems a bit strange to get that temperature consistently.

Also, give fancontrol a try in case it's dodgy temp sensors.

NeilDaMassTyson

Reputable
Oct 20, 2020
Are you using any OC software? And is the board bios up to date? Seems a bit strange to get that temperature consistently.

Also, give fancontrol a try in case it's dodgy temp sensors.
Board bios was updated about a year and a half ago when I installed the new CPU. Temps read the same across multiple monitoring software