G

Hi guys!

Which side of the drive is the most important to keep cool; top or bottom?

I have my drives setup in a hd-tray. I've mounted an exhaust fan blowing air out of the case through this hd-tray, effectively covering the top side of one drive, and the bottom side of another.

My thought was the bottom side needs the cooling more than the top side, so I put the fastest drive (more heat generated) so that the air cools the bottom side since this is where all the circuits are...

Any thoughts guys?

G

Drives are not necessarily intended to be mounted in any particular direction, but logic would tell someone that the metal casing goes up, the epoxy board down. The reason I say this is since HEAT rises, the metal casing over the platters, etc... will absord the heat quicker and better than the epoxy board on the base of the drive. Of course mounting does not really apply if using fans to cool the drives, just get the air blowing across the metal top surface.

G

I have a fan mounted on the top of my hdd, as it seems to be the side that gets the hottest, especially when doing intensive apps like 3d Studio max ect