Aug 5, 2021
I will need to move network shares from windows Server 2016 to Windows Server 2019. how can I get the best practices with Robocopy to copy the shares while some files are in use? How to copy all the types of permissions to the new server? How to move the timestamps as it?
And finally, Is there a way to confirm the integrity of the files after the move with Windows built-in tools without having to use something like TeraCopy or Gs Richcopy 360?

USAFRet

Titan
I will need to move network shares from windows Server 2016 to Windows Server 2019. how can I get the best practices with Robocopy to copy the shares while some files are in use? How to copy all the types of permissions to the new server? How to move the timestamps as it?
And finally, Is there a way to confirm the integrity of the files after the move with Windows built-in tools without having to use something like TeraCopy or Gs Richcopy 360?

" while some files are in use"

Sometimes, the system NEEDS to be taken offline for maintenance. This is the case with every corporate system, no matter how small or large.
Sometimes, this involves the IT people doing this between midnight and 3AM, Sunday morning.

Why not an inplace upgrade from Server2016 to 2019?
That will preserve all permissions, timestamps, etc, etc.

Aug 5, 2021
" while some files are in use"

Sometimes, the system NEEDS to be taken offline for maintenance. This is the case with every corporate system, no matter how small or large.
Sometimes, this involves the IT people doing this between midnight and 3AM, Sunday morning.
This is a good idea. and that is exactly what I was thinking about .

Why not an inplace upgrade from Server2016 to 2019?
That will preserve all permissions, timestamps, etc, etc.
you are right, this is logical if do the process in the same site but our aim is to transfer to a remote server(2019) , +100km far away

Aug 5, 2021
Hi again USAFRet , I found that doing it "OFFLINE" is the best way, but it is not an option for my request, as we need to copy some files daily while it is in use at a certain time !!

would you please recommend me a free backup tool similar to TeraCopy or Gs Richcopy 360 as per your experience with that kind of problem, any free tool that can meet our requirements ??

USAFRet

Titan
Hi again USAFRet , I found that doing it "OFFLINE" is the best way, but it is not an option for my request, as we need to copy some files daily while it is in use at a certain time !!

would you please recommend me a free backup tool similar to TeraCopy or Gs Richcopy 360 as per your experience with that kind of problem, any free tool that can meet our requirements ??
Why is offline not an option?

"copy some files daily" is a different requirement than a one time Upgrade from Server2016 to 2019.

Aug 5, 2021
that is a good question, I discussed this point with our IT Head and we reached to move the shares while there will be some files( in use) most of the day all over the week(2016), and we require them to be copied to the destination server(2019) in a specific folder every day.

any updates for the permissions and the timestamps?

Aug 5, 2021
USAFRet , Finally I discussed everything with our manager again and we found that you are right, it can be done "OFFline" for this time at least and for the permissions and the timestamps, we tried the trials versions of the mentioned products and other products recommended by experts and we have good results for this time. I think we are good now :)