[SOLVED] Core 2 Quad Q9550 (best GPU?)

Oct 26, 2020
At the moment I have a Core 2 Quad Q9550 in my system with 8GB of RAM and im trying to slowly upgrade my PC so im starting with a GPU,
At the moment im stuck with the core 2 Quad so what is the best GPU for this card?

Solution
Ah, ok, it seems that model is an older one, likely before FreeSync and GSync were a thing, as it only has, according to this spec page, VGA and DVI inputs.

To get games to perform at 1920x1080 for 60Hz (thus 60fps), you'd probably at most want to go for a GTX 1660 non-super. I don't know if any GTX 16- series cards have DVI out, though. Very likely, you'd want to get an adapter to convert HDMI or DP to DVI, assuming a new monitor isn't in the cards any time soon.

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
ok the best in my opinion on such a old system ,,,, i would run is maybe a gtx 1650 i triedrunning a a gtx 1060 6gb on a old core 2 quad 9400 overclocked and it bottlenecked that gpu some, its just that instruction sets and the technology isn't there to keep up with a modern graphics card like well even a 1660 super would probably be too much for it .

but if this is like the beginning of a grander scheme of things and future plans are getting a newer cpu ,,, then thats a different story and bottleneck though it will happen ,,, just means youll get the max performance out of that syem ,, till the new upgrades come into play. so i if thats the case and your on a tight budget ,,, I suggest looking on the used market for a GTX 1070 and get a decent power supply ,,, should be able to get that gpu soon for pretty cheap.

It depends on how you want to upgrade--you can get a gpu now that you can move to another system/setup once you upgrade the motherboard.

Or you could get a used prebuilt for around the same amount that's a couple of generations faster that would be better overall, but then you would literally have 2x computers. (Which I would still use both by taking my old system and using the new one to rdp into the old one.)

Oct 26, 2020
It depends on how you want to upgrade--you can get a gpu now that you can move to another system/setup once you upgrade the motherboard.

Or you could get a used prebuilt for around the same amount that's a couple of generations faster that would be better overall, but then you would literally have 2x computers. (Which I would still use both by taking my old system and using the new one to rdp into the old one.)

The thing is, where i live, prebuilt PCs cost a lot, and there isn't really any like cheap or budget Prebuilts just overkill 5K Pcs, not really worth it.
But, yeah i wanna get a GPU now so i can move to to another system later in the future

Oct 26, 2020
ok the best in my opinion on such a old system ,,,, i would run is maybe a gtx 1650 i triedrunning a a gtx 1060 6gb on a old core 2 quad 9400 overclocked and it bottlenecked that gpu some, its just that instruction sets and the technology isn't there to keep up with a modern graphics card like well even a 1660 super would probably be too much for it .

but if this is like the beginning of a grander scheme of things and future plans are getting a newer cpu ,,, then thats a different story and bottleneck though it will happen ,,, just means youll get the max performance out of that syem ,, till the new upgrades come into play. so i if thats the case and your on a tight budget ,,, I suggest looking on the used market for a GTX 1070 and get a decent power supply ,,, should be able to get that gpu soon for pretty cheap.

yeah, the thing is it costs me like x3 times the price so i don't really have a budget for a whole new PC just yet, im slowly trying to get new parts to get a new PCs, so right now i thought i could get a decent GPU so i could at least play something while i get money for a better PC.

But tbh, idk how would a GTX1070 run on a CPU that old, i was thinking maybe a GTX750 or a GT1030 smth like that, nothing too overkill, just to play at least CS:GO or smth.

The thing is, where i live, prebuilt PCs cost a lot, and there isn't really any like cheap or budget Prebuilts just overkill 5K Pcs, not really worth it.
But, yeah i wanna get a GPU now so i can move to to another system later in the future
Gotcha. Then get as much gpu as your current system can handle. You will have to watch out though as a lot of the newer gpus require a uefi bios that your current system may not have. I think if you stick to the 10xx series you'll be in good shape.

Reactions: GhastlyTrenches
But tbh, idk how would a GTX1070 run on a CPU that old, i was thinking maybe a GTX750 or a GT1030 smth like that, nothing too overkill, just to play at least CS:GO or smth.
I've seen 1080Tis paired with lga775 so you'll be fine. The gtx750 or even 9xx would be good, but I wouldn't waste money on the 1030 as that's basically the 10xx version of the 730 you already have.

Oct 26, 2020
I've seen 1080Tis paired with lga775 so you'll be fine. The gtx750 or even 9xx would be good, but I wouldn't waste money on the 1030 as that's basically the 10xx version of the 730 you already have.

now look whats up, the reason i went for the 1030 is cuz it would like match this system pretty well, and it can kinda play some games on 30-40 FPS, plus im gettin a GTX660 in the near future for free and i can just sell that shiz and then sell the GT1030 add some money and buy a better GPU when i have a complete new system but idk.

I live in Georgia the country and the prices are like x3 times higher, just imagine you can get a GTX 1080 for around 300-400$ but for me 300-400$ is like 1K.. so i dont have a budget for that, so im kinda aiming for at least 80-100$ GPU, i think i explained this shiz pretty badly but i think you get what i mean?

in conclusion my question is im thinkin about a GT1030 or a GTX700 series card, but idk which would is better.

now look whats up, the reason i went for the 1030 is cuz it would like match this system pretty well, and it can kinda play some games on 30-40 FPS, plus im gettin a GTX660 in the near future for free and i can just sell that shiz and then sell the GT1030 add some money and buy a better GPU when i have a complete new system but idk.

I live in Georgia the country and the prices are like x3 times higher, just imagine you can get a GTX 1080 for around 300-400$ but for me 300-400$ is like 1K.. so i dont have a budget for that, so im kinda aiming for at least 80-100$ GPU, i think i explained this shiz pretty badly but i think you get what i mean?

in conclusion my question is im thinkin about a GT1030 or a GTX700 series card, but idk which would is better.
Don't worry about matching the system--get the fastest thing you can afford since it can move on to another system or be resold at close to the price you'll get it for. If you're getting a 660 for free, just wait for that. Then you can save up and buy something outright. Otherwise, you'll take a hit when you resell the 1030 and the 660 won't be worth enough to cover the gap. Better to use the 660, save up, get a new card, and keep the 660 as a backup.

As far as performance, check these out:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-750-ti.c2548

Base performance of a 1030 is faster, but the texture rate (which is used more in games) is higher on the 750ti. When you get something like an OC 750ti, it's faster than the 1030. Also don't rule out the 670 or 770 which will blow both the 750 and 1030 out of the water:
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-670.c362

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Ah, ok, it seems that model is an older one, likely before FreeSync and GSync were a thing, as it only has, according to this spec page, VGA and DVI inputs.

To get games to perform at 1920x1080 for 60Hz (thus 60fps), you'd probably at most want to go for a GTX 1660 non-super. I don't know if any GTX 16- series cards have DVI out, though. Very likely, you'd want to get an adapter to convert HDMI or DP to DVI, assuming a new monitor isn't in the cards any time soon.

Reactions: GhastlyTrenches
Solution
It's around 3-4 years old i think or maybe 2 years old, not really sure, and it's a Cooler Master RS-400-PSAR-J3
I think that PSU has one 6-pin connector for a discrete GPU. Keep that in mind if you plan to keep using the PSU with your new GPU. It also has just a 1 year warranty, and is only rated at 70% efficient. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it's a very good/reliable PSU. Food for thought. :)