Core i3 3.06 GHz vs Core 2 E8400: Clarkdale Benchmarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http://publish.it168.com/2009/0729/20090729001205.shtml&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

In last week's news, we already know, Lynnfield core processors across the Core i7 and Core i5 two series, and the same will, in accordance with the Clarkdale processor frequency and Core i5 different across the two series Core i3. Today, we received this Clarkdale default frequency for the processor 3.06GHz (133MHz × 23), from the current Intel latest Roadmap of view, this could only be determined for the time being belonging to the processor Core i3 series, and specific models is undetermined of.

1609770.JPG

1609772.JPG

1609773.jpg

1609775.JPG

1609776.jpg

1609777.JPG

1609779.jpg

Not impressive, just decent.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
If this don't smell of rebrand then IDK what is, maybe a die shrink and some minor internal changes to make it fit on the new socket and new chipset but the performance is almost identical if not less...

The corei3 is a cut down version of the i5 with two cores and no hyper threading. It's like the celeron of the bunch but it's interesting that it hangs with the E8400. What I want to see is how the i5s and LGA 1156 i7s compare with current quad cores.

dattimr

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008

The hyper-threading part is wrong, according to X-Bit Labs and to the own chinese article:

this 3.06GHz processor will become the Clarkdale identified Core i5 series, but the processor specification is already very apparent. Clarkdale This dual-core design, each with two core 256KB secondary cache, and share three-4M cache capacity. Product with Hyper-Threading Technology, can be threaded up to four operations in support of SSE4.1 and SSE4.2 instruction set to support VT and Turbo Mode.

http://translate.google.de/translate?u=http://publish.it168.com/2009/0729/20090729001205.shtml&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=de&ie=UTF-8

The code-named dual-core Clarkdale processors will be sold under different brands and will support different features:

Intel Core i5: 3.46GHz, 3.33GHz, 3.20GHz, 4MB of cache, Hyper-Threading technology. The chips will be priced at $284, $196 and $176 in business quantities, depending on the frequency.
Intel Core i3: 3.06GHz, 2.93GHz, 4MB of cache, Hyper-Threading technology. The chips will be priced at $143 and $123 in business quantities, depending on the frequency.
Intel Pentium: 2.80GHz, 3MB of cache, no Hyper-Threading. The chip will be priced at $87.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20090728142821_Intel_Clarkdale_3_46GHz_Clock_Speed_32nm_Process_Tech_Launch_in_Q1_2010.html

Also, it's not the new Celeron, but the second best dual-core they will be launching at 32nm right from the start.

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I don't think the featuresets that differentiate i5 from i3 and Pentium are firm yet. As such, these ESs may or may not be reflective of the ultimate release. YMMV.

Purely from the multicore Cinebench scores, though, I suspect HT was enabled on these ESs-- although it's possible that it's purely a result of Turbo, as dattimr suggests.

I don't think so - the hyperthreading is fairly evident though from the multithreaded benchmarks.

Oh, and theholylancer, this definitely isn't rebranding. Rebranding is what Nvidia does, where the exact same item gets a new name. This is a CPU with hyperthreading, independent power planes for each core, an IMC, and some other minor core tweaks as well. It may also have an integrated PCI-E controller. It may have similar performance to the older model, but it certainly cannot be called a simple rebrand.

jennyh

Splendid
As a replacement for the 8 series it's ok, but those benchmarks, if true...they are very, very mediocre. I'm sure everyone was expecting quite a bit more than that, but who knows - perhaps the change to 32nm isn't gonna give as big a benefit as we thought at first.

Anandtech did a preview of some P55 boards, leaving out performance numbers. But... they did indicate that a BCLK of 245 was possible. Multiplying that by the 23 multiplier in the first post gives a very impressive 5.7. Possibly a real winner for gamers.

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008

That's assuming your chip is going to be limited by the motherboard, which isn't too likely. It'll be limited in clockspeed by itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if it routinely hit a solid 4.4Ghz.

jennyh

Splendid
Tbh, there is no way these cpu's will get to 4.4ghz, not with an igp next to them.

This is actually a very nice cpu. If intel have actually brought this to bear with an inbuilt graphics unit, it's extremely impressive and will have AMD shuddering. It might not look great on sheer power, but it's the start of a completely new design and can only get better.

jennyh

Splendid

Heat is the reason. I'm thinking this is already one hot chip and the lack of turbo on these chips would be a good indication of that too.

jennyh

Splendid
I'd love to know more about the graphic unit on this. Looking at it overall, I would expect it to be very, very low end (even for intel). The sort of thing that allows pixels to be drawn on screen but nothing more.

It's still an amazing engineering achievement.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Hmm maybe it is not a rebrand as nvidia does it, but they may be using Core 2 designs within it instead of the new neltheheme (can some one come up with a good short hand for it?) cores, looking at the performance numbers, it does look as if they simply did a socket change, added IMC, IMPcie, and IGP and call it a day. Then again, with all this changes, maybe it is a new design that is based on nelthehems that is new.

Certainly would bring up the el cheapo performance up tho, every mobo can have an IGP, that means we can see sub 50 dollar or even less (with less features from the ICH or w/e they call it) and just have the bare minimum to get a PC up and running for under 200 dollars!! Or under 300 with some performance/durability.

something like:

cpu (w igp) + mobo = 100 max
case+psu = 20-40
hdd = 30-50
ram = 10-20
add rest in as you please

and it would be a functioning computer that you can part out from newegg and build, with relatively okay parts compared to something from OEM that may be locked in.

I have to admit, I may have to eat my words of them completely rebranding c2 with same LGA 775 as i3, if they went with this they are being nicer to people whom build their own computers (I hope no cheapo mobo brands come out with no PCIE mobos lol, or at least put a big warning in that they will only work with IGP stuff), and in a sense, worse off to people whom buy from OEM.

imagine this prospect, I got a new dell, its got a i3, LGA 1156 part, and I went and upgraded to I5 1156 part, all is NOT well. Why? no IGP on I5 (on some parts) and the OEMs skimmed on costs again to nuke the expansion PCIE port.......

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
to those in the know, this won't matter

that said, i expect at least a 50% increase in traffic in forums like toms once something like this rolls out lol

it all comes down to how the venders play this out, both mobo manuf and OEMs, if they all skimp, then at least label them with clear message that this is a non-upgradeable box.

to those with the knowledge, it could mean they can save a few bucks in the near term by going with PCIE enabled mobo + IGP for now, which should be cheaper than what they can do now, where the IGP is on the mobo, as long as intel makes video out a required component or at least strongly suggest it for the cheaper segments.

This could also mean interesting video setups, where addin cards could detect there are unused video out ports on the mobo, and utilize them if they are unused (no IGP on cpu, or disabled). Or hell, hybrid SLI/CF that don't need reboots!!

archibael

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006

Clarkdale is Nehalem-based (more specifically Westmere-based, but that's just Nehalem shrink plus a couple other features).

I have to admit, I may have to eat my words of them completely rebranding c2 with same LGA 775 as i3, if they went with this they are being nicer to people whom build their own computers (I hope no cheapo mobo brands come out with no PCIE mobos lol, or at least put a big warning in that they will only work with IGP stuff), and in a sense, worse off to people whom buy from OEM.

There will be several consumer flavors of the Ibexpeak chipset (as there are P45, X48, G45, G43, G41, etc. today). All will be capable of PCIe graphics, some will be capable of IGP, but specific featureset supported will be how they are differentiated. You'll still have to do your research at the onset on which features you want supported long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.