Core i5 2400 Extremely Hot 90 C

Muzamil Ismail

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Update i have added the picture of motherboard looks like some pins are not at their place but i don't know whether i am right or wrong. Please guide me

Moherboard Picture Link

Hello
my pc processor core i5 2400 is extremely hot reaches 98 C when playing games . On idle temperature remains about 65 to 75 . There is no dedicated graphic card and i play games on intel hd. I am using stock cooler.
System specs are
intel core i5 2400
kingston 8gb 1333 ram
500 gb seagate hdd
intel dh61ww motherboard.

Solution
Those look like bent pins. I am surprised that your CPU has not fried or that it is even being detected. The socket looks pretty dusty / dirty as well. You could try to bend the pins back or you could use this as an excuse to upgrade. If you could find a decent LGA1155 board then go for it, or if you have the budget upgrade to a new Haswell as you start to see some good performance increases when you upgrade from Sandybridge or before.

Is this a prebuilt or a custom build?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would say that you either have a cooler mtg issue or a thermal paste issue. What RPM does the cooler fan spin when gaming? It may not be running fast enough for some reason.
Check the cooler's posts by looking at the back of the MB. The black posts should be fully thru the feet and spreading the white clips behind the board.

helloguy

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Switch out the stock heatsink/fan and get a aftermarket CPU cooler, re-apply the thermal paste, clean the dust inside the PC and tidy your cables if they are messy, hope I helped :)

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Take the side of the case off and see if that helps for a bit? Do you have any sort of cable management? If not, the cables could be blocking effective airflow throughout the case. Does the stock coolers actual heatsink (metal) portion been cleaned of all dust? The stock cooler should be keeping that thing in the 30s at idle and possibly into the mid 60s low 70s while pushing it.

How much thermal paste are you using? If you are using much more than the size of a pea or a grain of rice, you are probably choking your processor. You want an extremely thin layer of thermal material... just enough to be conducive for the transfer of heat between the heat spreader and the heat sink.

If it comes down to it, you could always get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo which should allow you to remain at comfortable temperatures under even full synthetic load with programs such as Prime95.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

Is the computer in an open location where it can get proper air. If it is inside of a slide out computer desk tray or just resting on carpet or against a wall, it could be choking on its own heat ventilation.

When you are installing the stock cooler, make sure to push the pins in by way of diagonals. Do not do pins that are in line with each other as this could allow uneven pressure to be applied to the CPU.

Muzamil Ismail

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Thank you for helping me dear friends. I have posted a picture of motherboard processor socket please watch it and tell me if it is damaged. Pc is working fine i am posting from the same pc but heat is the problem. Guide me

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
Those look like bent pins. I am surprised that your CPU has not fried or that it is even being detected. The socket looks pretty dusty / dirty as well. You could try to bend the pins back or you could use this as an excuse to upgrade. If you could find a decent LGA1155 board then go for it, or if you have the budget upgrade to a new Haswell as you start to see some good performance increases when you upgrade from Sandybridge or before.

Is this a prebuilt or a custom build?

Solution

kira70591

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014
If you are to purchase a new board, I would look at either of these options.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

This Asus board is about double the price but it comes with much more video options. It also supports two video cards if you ever want to SLI nVidia cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837

MSI makes great quality products and this board is good quality and is inexpensive. However, there is only VGA which you need and an HDMI port. If you ever wish to use DVI for a monitor that does not have HDMI support, you can always get an inexpensive adapter from HDMI to DVI. The board also does not support two nVidia cards so there is not much expansion in the way or video cards.

I would recommend either of these boards as replacements; however, you need to decide based on your budget if you want to purchase a new board for a dead socket. LGA1155 CPUs are no longer being manufactured. If you intend to keep this computer for quite a bit longer, then I would suggest getting the Asus board as it support more expansion than the MSI.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

What is the ambient temp where you are at?
Idle temp for that processor should be in the mid 30C range in ambient temps of mid 20Cs.

Your idle temps are WAY too high, and your load temps are dangerously high. Does your case have good airflow, is it clean?

Muzamil Ismail

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014