Core i7-930 at Microcenter

iokau

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
So, I found this Core i7-930 at Microcenter for $199.99. My first thought was...buy it! But then I thought...why is it so cheap? Is there something wrong with it? So, I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what's up with this deal.

Solution
They do it to get people into the store/spread there name. And no there are no catches/bait and switches. On the site they even tell you how many the have in stock at the store. The other stores/on-line retailers are not selling them really expensive either werxen. The 199.99 at microcenter is probably cheaper than Intels tray price per 1000 chips.

I for one love that store. They actually have people in there that know what they are selling which is nice. And the prices are really good for a retail store period. Even on the items not on sale.
Microcenters sell i7s really cheap, don't know why. You have to go instore and pickup though - that's all I know. Normally it's during sale times I think - the only U.S. well-known computer hardware store that I'm familiar with is probably Newegg.

iokau

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
This makes me happy ^^ There is a Microcenter about 30-45 minutes from my house apparently...I never knew. Me and my friend will be picking up one each in less than a week, it'll be the first part I buy for my computer.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
They do it to get people into the store/spread there name. And no there are no catches/bait and switches. On the site they even tell you how many the have in stock at the store. The other stores/on-line retailers are not selling them really expensive either werxen. The 199.99 at microcenter is probably cheaper than Intels tray price per 1000 chips.

I for one love that store. They actually have people in there that know what they are selling which is nice. And the prices are really good for a retail store period. Even on the items not on sale.

Solution

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

* $294.99
* Free Shipping!

Add item to Cart

That's from newegg... I don't know wtf you're talking about "The other stores/on-line retailers are not selling them really expensive either werxen."

There is a big difference between 200 vs. 300. One is expensive the other is not - granted its all relative but you don't know how much it costs Intel to make these chips. Using basic economic principals, however, once can assume that it is much cheaper than $200 a chip seeing as how Microcenter is still in business. Like I said, corporate monopolies.

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
You are clueless. That is not expensive. The tray price is 294.99 http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447. That is what INTEL sells the chips by 1000. Newegg is selling them for that exact same price. That is not selling them really expensive period.

What it cost Intel to make the chips has NOTHING to do what we are talking about. Absolutely nothing. And it cost Intel a fraction of 200 or 300 to actually produce the chips anyways. Microcenter or newegg is not making the chips themselfs in the warehouse and putting it a Intel box. They purchase them from Intel by the thousands. Microcenter sells the chips for so cheap(at a loss to them) for two main reasons.

1. To get people to come into the store. Why do you think it is IN STORE ONLY. Once people come in and see the store they are banking on you buying other stuff during your visit or coming back in the future and point 2.

2. Word of mouth/free advertising. Look at all the forums since microcenter has been doing this. Oh if you live by a microcenter get this chip.... I never even heard of them prior to the Intel sales. And there is one in a town I was very familiar with but did not know it was even there.

Now I understand why you did not wtf I was talking about. Simply because you have no idea wtf you are talking about in your response to me period.
The online retailers are selling them at the prices they are supposed to. Newegg as you pointed out is selling them at the Intel tray price per 1000. Yet in your mind its really expensive. And for some crazy reason you try and bring up what it cost Intel to make the chips. Fail.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I checked the website. It's convenient that they let you see how many of the CPUs are in stock. Basically, you reserved the CPU and then go pick up at the store but there's no guarantee it will still be there. However, if I can see there are 50 left and I "reserve" the CPU then start driving (one hour away) I will be surprised if they sold 50 CPUs in that one hour while I'm driving to the store.

It's an awesome deal and so is the AMD PII X4 955 BE for $99! I just bought mine from Newegg last month for $160!!

I think eventually Newegg will find a way to also offer these steep discounts on high end CPUs.

They already do to some extent, in the discounted bundles (CPU & mobo, etc) that they occasionally offer. Generally not a great discount, but better than nuttin' :p..

I find that zipzoomfly.com generally beats Newegg's prices on some items, so it pays to shop around.

No they won't.

I can tell you why Microcenter has cheap CPUs since I used to work there. They're actually losing money on every CPU they sell, so they have a 1 CPU only policy. Their purpose is to get you to buy their other CPU components for building a complete rig. That's the only way they recoup their losses.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Makes sense to me. When they have these sales they know they'll sell out all the bargain priced CPUs which I'm sure isn't their whole stock and each store has a limited number they can sell at that price.

For now, Newegg will just have to be jealous.

Let me throw this out there as well, don't bet your life on what these places are paying as "tray price" either. You are a fool if you think any large retailer is actually paying the advertised tray price for them. When large companies buy goods, it is always a "negotiated" pricing contract, and no everyone is NOT treated equal.

That being said, I don't have a Microcenter close to me now. When I used to live in Huntington Beach there is one just off the 55 in Irvine I used to go to all the time, (as well as the Fry's in Fountain Valley off the 405) I love Microcenter, they do have some great deals.

Indeed, there was a local custom PC build shop (ran out of business in 08) close to where I live and they had some kind of deal with Intel and they managed to get their CPUs significantly cheaper than Newegg prices, got my Celeron D 315 from them for like $25-30 less than Newegg from them.

Ya. IIRC, Microcenter gets the i7 920s for around $250ish I believe.

Store employees got a discount for products by base price (how much they pay for it from the manufacturer) + 5%, and I remember the final price was far more than the $200 for the advertised deal.

So they're taking a pretty big hit when people only buy their CPUs.

They are not going to tell you what they are paying for the parts, that would be corporate suicide to let the common employees know those numbers.
That is like saying that Toyota let me have a new Camry for 5% over dealer invoice, so I only paid 5% over what they paid for it. :lol:

I see no reason why management would lie to employees regarding what the store pays for items...

LOL - the guy shouldda just brought cash & 19 disguises :p.

"Hey - didn't you used to have brown hair & a moustache 10 minutes ago??"

TRENDING THREADS