News Core i9-14900K, Core i7-14700K CPUs Benchmarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg7579

Commendable
Jun 11, 2022
I'm delaying my build from this summer and waiting for this 14900K Raptor Lake Refresh.
Why not? It might be a little better. I can't wait for Arrow Lake to build (over a year away at least) and Meteor Lake is mobile only.

Reactions: artk2219

flagrantvagrant

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022
At only 20% higher TVB3 power consumption! Time to start making those 280x280 AIOs driven by outdoor water feature fountain pumps as I've codgered about before Corsair, Arctic, etc etc my water cooling friends! Dissipating 400 watts for max continuous TVB3 is, like the moon, gonna be a harsh mistress!

An awful lot of people don't seem to grasp the concept that Intel needs products for OEMs. They do yearly releases so OEMs can sell "new" and/or "latest" that are "faster" than the predecessors even if it's single digit differences.

The only 14th gen desktop part that anyone should ever have had an interest in is the 14700 as it's the one with a new core configuration so it'd be better for multithreaded than 13700 and ought to be cheaper than the 13900/14900.

At only 20% higher TVB3 power consumption! Time to start making those 280x280 AIOs driven by outdoor water feature fountain pumps as I've codgered about before Corsair, Arctic, etc etc my water cooling friends! Dissipating 400 watts for max continuous TVB3 is, like the moon, gonna be a harsh mistress!
There is Thermal Velocity Boost and there is Turbo Boost Max 3.0 they are not one thing.
Also if their CPUs could suddenly handle 20% more power it would be a miracle of engineering and would result in their FABs to be declared as GOD level.
There are other FABs that make CPUs that melt and/or blow up at ~250W and need water cooling even for below 230W.

Reactions: rluker5

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Intel is in trouble and BIG trouble ive been saying this for months now the 14th is just 11th all over again ..

Im not sure on there thinking over there at intel was it a cheap arse way to say HEY WE HAVE A LONGER LIFE SPAN SOCKET TOO ??
yet we all know 15th with be a new socket WTF??

Is it a lame attempt to leap frog AMD over the x3d parts ??

If so ZEN 5 with drop and beat 14th then depending on release windows 15th and maybe 8000x3d or we go back to 9000series against 15th then beaten by 9000x3d again maybe all on the AM5 platform !!

Im really confused to what they are doing smarter option would be to forget 14th and move straight to 15th new platform ( obviously name it 14th ) and use it as a real challenge to 8000 series and hang on to the socket life for the 14th 15th 16th 17th !!

AMD beaten at their own game at that point !!

Reactions: PEnns and bit_user

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
I'm also getting deja vu from Devil's Canyon. But it would really be something if the Raptor refresh added 500mhz. And I have Raptor and Haswell running in the house.
I do expect the refresh to at least be able to handle +200mhz at the same power or use significantly less power for the same speed though. Just like if the node optimizations acted like heavy binning.

I just don't get why all of this complaining of a refresh is going on when there is no complaining that AMD doesn't even do that much in their off year for their desktop chips.

Raptor was a big improvement over Alder. Bigger than anything from the Skylake arch era. And next year will be disaggregated. One year for a refresh is not bad.

nostriluu

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2013
All the 14th gen chips will have Intel's vpu for AI tasks, which are a big deal for many purposes, from processing audio and video streams to local assistants. Some benchmarks put the vpu+GPU combo at 1660 levels for a representative app, stable diffusion. This is going to be a big deal, and make all the previous gens look slow for AI tasks, and is more than enough reason to call this 14th gen

would it really have hurt intel to just call these 13950k, 13750k and 13650k, because the lack of a comparison to the prior generation is telling
Yes as a matter of fact it would, because you muddy the waters for OEMs. You don't want to force your biggest retail partners to try to explain to their customers why the new desktop chips are 13th gen, most laptops are 14th gen, but some laptops are still 13th gen. To do so would be flat out stupid.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I just don't get why all of this complaining of a refresh is going on when there is no complaining that AMD doesn't even do that much in their off year for their desktop chips.
They already launched X3D chips, this year. I guess you can consider that their in-between step between Zen 4 and Zen 5.

I was hoping they'd do a N4 port of the Zen 4 CCDs, but that would mostly be a move to benefit EPYC, since their 7800X3D seems to adequately address the gaming market.

Raptor was a big improvement over Alder. Bigger than anything from the Skylake arch era.
Really? When Intel added 50% more cores with Coffee Lake, or even another 33% more cores with Coffee Lake-R, I think that's in a similar ballpark.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
They still insist on saddling DeskTop class CPU's with E's cores instead of splitting them off into a "Pure P-Core" & "Pure E-Core" CPU product line.

Hybrid (P/E)-cores make sense for Mobile, but given what most DeskTop users want, they want Homogenous CPU cores, not to have to worry about processes getting shunted onto the correct cores.

Give me 12x P-Cores or 40x E-Cores.

I can find a good use case for both types of DeskTop CPU's.

It's time to specialize.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
All the 14th gen chips will have Intel's vpu for AI tasks, which are a big deal for many purposes,
I'm pretty sure that's only Meteor Lake.

I expect Arrow Lake-S (15th gen desktop parts) will have it, though.

This is going to be a big deal, and make all the previous gens look slow for AI tasks, and is more than enough reason to call this 14th gen
CPUs were never particularly good at AI, so that's a pretty low bar. If you really care about AI performance, in a laptop or desktop, a dGPU is far and away your best bet. The main thing those VPUs are for is power-efficient AI, which is why they're launching in a laptop CPU.

They still insist on saddling DeskTop class CPU's with E's cores instead of splitting them off into a "Pure P-Core" & "Pure E-Core" CPU product line.
Yes, that was a foregone conclusion. With AVX10, they basically said all their client CPUs in the foreseeable future will be limited to 256-bit, due to the presence of E-cores.

Now that they've taken the plunge, Intel is never giving up hybrid CPUs because E-cores are the most power-efficient, area-efficient, and therefore cost-effective way to scale multi-threaded performance.

Last edited:

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
All the 14th gen chips will have Intel's vpu for AI tasks, which are a big deal for many purposes, from processing audio and video streams to local assistants. Some benchmarks put the vpu+GPU combo at 1660 levels for a representative app, stable diffusion. This is going to be a big deal, and make all the previous gens look slow for AI tasks, and is more than enough reason to call this 14th gen
yes and no gaming gaming and gaming is the bigger seller of CPU's and the x3ds are crushing it..
100% no doubt as it is right now the 13900k is the best overall production /gaming cpu ..
But which sells more CPU's for gaming or cpu's for both or CPU's purely for production ( AMD threadripper as production tied up over Intel )..
once RDNA 3 hits ZEN5 or ZEN6 then intel is at a loss again !!

Reactions: PEnns

graham006

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Why even have a 'refresh'? This is why Intel is ridiculous. And whoever said they were waiting until this fall to buy one is crazy as the 13900k will drop in price.

I'd rather just own a 7800x3d
The X3d parts are junk and prone to catching on fire or frying your motherboard. Check the video by gamers Nexus where this problem with X3d parts is shown to be relatively easy with overclocking

graham006

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
There is Thermal Velocity Boost and there is Turbo Boost Max 3.0 they are not one thing.
Also if their CPUs could suddenly handle 20% more power it would be a miracle of engineering and would result in their FABs to be declared as GOD level.
There are other FABs that make CPUs that melt and/or blow up at ~250W and need water cooling even for below 230W.
Yep... Looking at the exploding AMD x3D parts that Gamers Nexus was able to burn up doing some pretty simple overclocking. I would not want those parts anywhere near my $350 motherboard

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
They already launched X3D chips, this year. I guess you can consider that their in-between step between Zen 4 and Zen 5.

I was hoping they'd do a N4 port of the Zen 4 CCDs, but that would mostly be a move to benefit EPYC, since their 7800X3D seems to adequately address the gaming market.

Really? When Intel added 50% more cores with Coffee Lake, or even another 33% more cores with Coffee Lake-R, I think that's in a similar ballpark.
X and X3D are different lines that are staggered because very few would buy the plain X if the X3D were available. After 2 generations I think that customers have caught on that if they want a chip for general use that may include gaming, that the plain X versions being sold for that are a scam.

But that is off the point, the X and X3D are biennial products for different markets. Like consumer and HEDT. I.E. an X3D purchaser has to wait 2 years for a new chip and the non 3D doesn't count because it is a downgrade. For someone who uses the X version for it's higher compute the X3D version is a downgrade and doesn't count.

Imagine if Raptor Refresh were a performance downgrade for it's intended audience. You could say that is the case for Ryzen if you counted the X and X3D to be for the same consumer segment. But they aren't so AMD is going on a biennial update cycle with 2 different consumer segments.

As for that Alder/Raptor I should have been more specific. I meant a bigger architectural improvement and a node improvement resulting in a higher achievable clockspeed increase than you saw from 6th to 10th gen core, combined. I just wanted to point out that Raptor isn't a refresh of Alder any more than Zen 4 is a refresh of Zen 3 or Haswell was of Ivy Bridge. Even an i5 13600k downclocked 4-500mhz from it's capabilities (aka stock) beats a 12900k using more cores and a lot more power in games.

Raptor refresh will be a refresh. I'm tired of hearing Raptor = Alder.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Yep... Looking at the exploding AMD x3D parts that Gamers Nexus was able to burn up doing some pretty simple overclocking. I would not want those parts anywhere near my $350 motherboard
stop talking BS there was a few issues / cases that have been all but fixed by bios updates ..

maybe quote the follow up video where they said the problems were fixed with bios updates !

in fact your so wrong about the overclocking its not funny it was the ram voltage running at 1.45 and spiking causing over heating and burning the cpu ..

so it was never the x3d cpu's that was the issue it was the boards !!

typically on ASUS boards !

And i had a 7600x and now my 7800x3d in a Asus $1000aud motherboard and had no issues !

Get your facts straight before scaring people about stuff that simply is no longer the case !

Last edited:

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Not really... The i7 14700 looks like a very compelling upgrade to someone with a 12th gen part. Lots more cores and some nice clock bumps. It will extend the life of someone with a 2 year old LGA1700 MB
the 14700 out the whole 14th gen line up is the only cpu thats looks compelling the rest are a waste of sand on a near dead platform .. !!

Reactions: bit_user
Yes, that was a foregone conclusion. With AVX10, they basically said all their client CPUs in the foreseeable future will be limited to 256-bit, due to the presence of E-cores.

Now that they've taken the plunge, Intel is never giving up hybrid CPUs because E-cores are the most power-efficient, area-efficient, and therefore cost-effective way to scale multi-threaded performance.
No, they said that p-cores will support 512.
Apart from a few special cases, those instructions will be supported at all vector lengths, with 128-bit and 256-bit vector lengths being supported across all processors, and 512-bit vector lengths additionally supported on P-core processors.
Also e-cores are far less power-efficient in multi they are more area and cost efficient which is why intel uses them
efficiency-multithread.png

stop talking BS there was a few issues / cases that have been all but fixed by bios updates ..

maybe quote the follow up video where they said the problems were fixed with bios updates !

in fact your so wrong about the overclocking its not funny it was the ram voltage running at 1.45 and spiking causing over heating and burning the cpu ..

so it was never the x3d cpu's that was the issue it was the boards !!

typically on ASUS boards !

And i had a 7600x and now my 7800x3d in a Asus $1000aud motherboard and had no issues !

Get your facts straight before scaring people about stuff that simply is no longer the case !
It wasn't fixed...
And it doesn't matter what part of the CPU can't stand the power, the point is still that too much power fries the CPU.

The only thing they did was to force-limit the amount of power that the CPU can use, turning an unlocked CPU into a locked one, so that it doesn't melt down right away, that's not fixing the problem that is avoiding the problem.
the 14700 out the whole 14th gen line up is the only cpu thats looks compelling the rest are a waste of sand on a near dead platform .. !!
We have no official statement yet, even the 14700 might be released without extra cores and this one that surfaced might just be a test CPU or for a special customer or something.
Also most people are not rich and they buy the CPU they need and stick with it for 5 years and more, a dead platform is zero argument for most people, until they can spend money on a CPU again they would have to change everything anyway, or they go for a used/older part where a dead platform is a good thing because it lowers prices.

Reactions: Lafong

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I expect a bump in power consumption here for sure. Intel's 10nm is pushed to its limits with Raptor Lake given the boost in core count and clockspeed (increased cache likely also uses more power). This refresh is going to push everything off the charts. I suspect that with this refresh, the i7 will also become very difficult to cool with conventional AIO cooler, in addition to i9.

Status
Not open for further replies.