Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I am having some problems with my pc as it constantly exits out of games and sometimes restarts completely when it is doing nothing. I installed MBM 5.3.7.0 and now it constantly sets an alarm off for my Core 0 Voltage. I was wondering which one is this and what should it be. My computer is setup as follows:
Motherboard: Gigabyte K8NSNXP-939
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 939
GFX Card: Leadtek Winfast 6600GT
Memory: 2x512Mb Kingmax DDR400
HDD: 1x300Gig Maxtor Sata + 2x200Gig WD Sata + 1X200Gig Seagate IDE
+ 1x40Gig Seagate IDE
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
Heatsink: Coolermaster Hyper 6
PSU: Antec True Power 550W
Case: SUPER FLOWER 4 Series XION SILVER WINDOW
Fans: Vantec Stealth 1x120mm + 1x80mm + 1x120mm Antec Thermoflow

this is what MBM records
CPU Temp- 40C
Case temp- 25C
Core 0- 1.50-1.63V, Averages 1.56V
Core 1- 2.82-2.86V, Averages 2.85V
+3.3- 3.28-3.31V, Averages 3.29V
+5.00- 2.09-6.18V, Averages 3.87V
+12.00- 11.65-11.90V, Averages 11.80V
-5.00- 0.00V
-12.00- 0.00V

Are these okay ranges for my system or is there something wrong like My PSU isn't powerful enough. Any help with this will be appreciated as I would like to get to the bottom of this before it gets worse
Thx

My Mum always said God has a plan, guess I was Plan B

the alarm is prolly set off because you first have to set the option in MBM on what it should be in the first place.

For starters id be checking out the basics like ram speeds + timings and whatever in the bios aswell as operating tempratures.

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
I have checked the timings and speeds and they are alright. It still does it tho. are my voltages right or are they too low or too high as I do not know what they should be like and I don't know what they mean what does each Voltage mean and what do they do.

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
In the release notes it says it is compatible with both 32 and 64Bit so I took it as being able to work. I couldn't find my Mobo in the listing so I chose the one that was the closest so it is configured for a Gigabyte GAK 8NPro would this be causing it to take wrong readings if so what other program can I use to monitor my system.

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
Checking out the RAM speed and timing. Also check the BIOS and the operating temperature, are they ok?

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">Digital-Music-Guide.com</A>

Excalibur

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
yeah they are both good. I am thinking that it is a power problem somewhere as what else would cause the pc to restart

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
this is what MBM records
CPU Temp- 40C
Case temp- 25C
Core 0- 1.50-1.63V, Averages 1.56V
Core 1- 2.82-2.86V, Averages 2.85V
+3.3- 3.28-3.31V, Averages 3.29V
<b>+5.00- 2.09-6.18V, Averages 3.87V</b>
+12.00- 11.65-11.90V, Averages 11.80V
-5.00- 0.00V
-12.00- 0.00V

No wonder the thing reboots !

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
No wonder the thing reboots !
No kidding! Thank goodness <i>someone</i> noticed that before I got a chance to post.

<i>If</i> this reading is accurate it indicates <i>two</i> serious proclems with the power supply. 1) The supply clearly isn't providing enough on the 5v rail. 2) The supple isn't following the ATX standard as it shouldn't even be allowing operation that far below spec.

Which is funny, because that power supply is supposedly an Antec True550 which has a 40A 5V rail on independant circuitry. :\ So either the PSU went <i><b>really</b></i> bad, or the readings are totally off because "<font color=red>I couldn't find my Mobo in the listing so I chose the one that was the closest so it is configured for a Gigabyte GAK 8NPro</font color=red>".

Excalibur, can you verify any of these readings in your BIOS or in software that specifically handles your mobo? It could be that the PSU went bad, or it could be that your MBM readings are off.

<pre><font color=purple><i>Jesters do oft prove prophets.</i> -Regan in
King Lear (Act V, Scene iii) by William Shakespear</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 187K -> 200,000 miles or bust!

I'd be willing to bet the readings are off - seen this with another guy that I was helping out in the Graphics forum. Now that MBM5 is no longer being updated, that program wil be problematic at best with new mobos. Does AIDA32 provide system voltage monitoring?

Excalibur: You can use a multimeter to test the voltage on the 5V rail cabling. Doesn't Gigabyte have a system monitoring utility? Look in the BIOS under system health and see if it lists the voltages on the rails. I wouldn't think that the Antec True 550W would give you this type of prob on this rig. Are you getting any BSOD before the auto reboot?

Have you checked to make sure the mobo isn't grounded (no unused mobo mounting stanchions)? Updated to the most recent BIOS/drivers? Have you run MEMTEST86 on your memory? Have you removed all Adware/Spyware/viruses?

<font color=red>You're a boil on the arse of progress - don't make me squeeze you!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rugger on 05/02/05 03:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
I was going to PM you, but you do not accept PMs. Slvr, how about you post in the 0.9r and the payola thread ? If you want to keep *any* sort of credibility here, at the very least I will expect you to post an admission of being wrong, possibly with some sort of excuse a la 'only trying to argue for the fun of it' or something. Your claims have become so incredibly outrageous, that, left as they are, I won't be taking *anything* from you seriously anymore, and I don't think I'm alone... time to show your true colours.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>I'd be willing to bet the readings are off

His +5v fluctuations are indeed *extreme*, but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss them. AFAICT, if MBM doesnt properly work with his particular MB, you might get values that are nonsensical, or that have some high "static" error, but these are neither. I really can't think of any other sensor that MBM would be reading that would give such values, and fluctuate in that range. Its possible MBM is screwing up, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

Anyhow, excalibubar: just check in the BIOS, if +5v is indeed anywhere *near* 3v or 6v, you have your problem right there. Wether it is the PSU or motherboard causing this, I'm not quite sure, but my money is on the PSU. try another one if you can.

I really can't think of any other sensor that MBM would be reading that would give such values, and fluctuate in that range. Its possible MBM is screwing up, but it doesn't seem likely to me.
I'm not saying that MBM is reading the wrong sensor. What i'm saying is that MBM may not be programmed to correctly interpret the data being provided by the sensor. That could account for the consistent incorrect readings/fluctuations. I completely agree that if his 5V rail readings are actually at the levels he stated then it is the PSU - no company is infallible and even Antec can put out bad PSUs. It just seems more likely to me that these readings are related to MBM5 not being compatible with his board. Unless he can get the readings directly from his BIOS or there is another program that get those readings for him, the best way for him to verify the voltages is to take a direct reading from the 5V rail. As I said before, I have seen instances where MBM has provided incorrect voltage readings when the wrong mobo model is entered because MBM doesn't list the correct board.