[SOLVED] Correct RAM speed isnt being recognized. Any help is appreciated!

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
So I just upgraded my pc yesterday. Below are the upgrades

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
PSU: Corsair 650w
MotherBoard: ASUS Prime B550M-A
RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200mhz

I finished building yesterday and the PC is functioning good. The only issue is that the system is not recognizing the RAM as 3200mhz. Instead it is recognizing it as 2133mhz. I am pretty new to PC so I am not sure what I should do or if this is something that is normal. Someone mentioned a BIOS update but I am a little hesitant on doing that even though the last update was 2020 and the most recent is 2021. If anyone has any advice or experienced a similar issue then please feel free to comment. Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Solution
so wait, let me get this straight. I bought 3200mhz ram but it actually isnt 3200mhz out of the box?

Yes and no.

"straight out of the box", no. It requires that you set the speed or turn on the XMP feature in your motherboard BIOS. The manufacturer is "nodding" that the selected RAM is RATED (by them) to run at that speed on systems it is compatible with.

Technically, ANY stick of RAM you put on that motherboard and don't do so will run at 2133.

Changing that setting is insane easy. I suggest you take a look in your motherboard manual and read the appropriate sections. It will walk you right through it.
Keep in mind that just because they say it will, that sometimes XMP can be hit and miss with the variety of equipment...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The "base" speed of DDR4 is 2133. In some cases (now) the manufacturers will default that to 2400. Anything beyond that is actually a RAM overclock to which the manufacturer of the RAM nods that these sticks "should" work at (such and such) speed. It is never a guarantee.

rcsverige

Commendable
Mar 15, 2021
The "base" speed of DDR4 is 2133. In some cases (now) the manufacturers will default that to 2400. Anything beyond that is actually a RAM overclock to which the manufacturer of the RAM nods that these sticks "should" work at (such and such) speed. It is never a guarantee.
so wait, let me get this straight. I bought 3200mhz ram but it actually isnt 3200mhz out of the box?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador

Yes and no.

"straight out of the box", no. It requires that you set the speed or turn on the XMP feature in your motherboard BIOS. The manufacturer is "nodding" that the selected RAM is RATED (by them) to run at that speed on systems it is compatible with.

Technically, ANY stick of RAM you put on that motherboard and don't do so will run at 2133.

Changing that setting is insane easy. I suggest you take a look in your motherboard manual and read the appropriate sections. It will walk you right through it.
Keep in mind that just because they say it will, that sometimes XMP can be hit and miss with the variety of equipment (motherboards/CPU) that it can be used in. On occasion you have to try to manually set timings to get at or near that speed.

Solution