theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Experienced PC enthusiast here, looking for advice on what to do here. I'm trying to clone my mom's old hard disk (upwards of 8 years old) onto an Nvm-e. Every time I try it, my progress stops at about 40% and will not progress further. I left it overnight and still no luck. I tried defragging it to the best of my softwares ability, still no. Just seeing if anybody has any other suggestions for me to try before I say screw it and start from scratch.

USAFRet

Titan
Experienced PC enthusiast here, looking for advice on what to do here. I'm trying to clone my mom's old hard disk (upwards of 8 years old) onto an Nvm-e. Every time I try it, my progress stops at about 40% and will not progress further. I left it overnight and still no luck. I tried defragging it to the best of my softwares ability, still no. Just seeing if anybody has any other suggestions for me to try before I say screw it and start from scratch.
If it is corrupt, cloning will not work.
Even if it completes, all you've done is clone failed data.

USAFRet

Titan
Why the clone operation?

What is the desired end state?

theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Why the clone operation?

What is the desired end state?

My mom doesn't want to have to go through another fresh restart of windows and I upgraded/ downsided her current computer. If I put a fresh install of windows on here it will take her forever to move all the things where she wants it to be back on there.

USAFRet

Titan
My mom doesn't want to have to go through another fresh restart of windows and I upgraded/ downsided her current computer. If I put a fresh install of windows on here it will take her forever to move all the things where she wants it to be back on there.
Is this to go into a whole different system?

Even with perfect conditions, which does not seem to be the case here, this is likely to fail.

Moving a drive+OS (and a clone counts) to a whole new system often fails completely.

What is the size of the hdd and the ssd?

USAFRet

Titan
Old: i5-6500, mobo unknown, 3TB WD blue (only has 430 GB used), gtx 1050, 8GB ddr3

New: i3-12300k, 16GB ddr4, 500GB samsung 970 pro Nvm-e, on board graphics
Multiple reasons why this would fail:
  1. Too much data to clone into a 500GB drive.
  2. 6 generation jump, new motherboard.
  3. Possible corrupted source drive or data.

As much as it might be a pain, a fresh OS install on the new system is needed/required here.

theFainster

Honorable
Feb 19, 2016
Multiple reasons why this would fail:
  1. Too much data to clone into a 500GB drive.
  2. 6 generation jump, new motherboard.
  3. Possible corrupted source drive or data.
As much as it might be a pain, a fresh OS install on the new system is needed/required here.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. Thanks for the advice.