VaizardsParagon

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017
Let me explain my situation as detailed as I possibly can.

My friend asked me to reformat his laptop, which is a Lenovo Idea Pad 300 if I'm not mistaken. I downloaded and installed windows on my usb. I switched the boot priority to USB then rebooted the laptop, It went pretty smooth. I chose 64 bit operating system and Custom install. I saw two partitions that are nearly full, that is why I decided to wipe both partitions. After wiping the first partition I wiped the second one. That is where everything went wrong, the entire screen froze and I was forced to restart his laptop. After rebooting I got stuck in the windows logo and sometimes it shows spinning dots. If I wait for 2-3 hours It will get stuck in a blue screen with nothing on it.

Things I've tried:
Re downloading the windows software on a new usb.(still failed)
Attempted to wipe the drive using the cmd command "diskpart"(which also failed because after inputting the command I was not able to type any other commands on cmd)

My Conclusion:
The drive is corrupted to some degree

If you think my conclusion is wrong please suggest the things I need to do to fix this problem. Thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
that doesn't make any sense, if you booted off the USB, you are running off a ram drive and not the hdd. So deleting partitions on drive shouldn't do anything like what you describe, PC isn't using it. The instllation only runs off the hdd after you delete the old partitions, and have chosen unallocated space and clicked next. and only then after a restart.

I don't think the install screen shows the USB, just the hdd...

was friend having any problems before the format? Is it possible to remove drive and see if you can format it using another PC?

Reactions: VaizardsParagon

VaizardsParagon

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017
that doesn't make any sense, if you booted off the USB, you are running off a ram drive and not the hdd. So deleting partitions on drive shouldn't do anything like what you describe, PC isn't using it. The instllation only runs off the hdd after you delete the old partitions, and have chosen unallocated space and clicked next. and only then after a restart.

was friend having any problems before the format? Is it possible to remove drive and see if you can format it using another PC?
yeah he told me that when he turned his his pc on in the morning he got a message that basically says that system 32 got deleted

VaizardsParagon

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017

i plugged the hdd on my own pc and to my surprise it made my own pc lag for some reason. Then I saw 2 partitions that can't be opened. looks like we are on the right track. Now how do I remove the partitions?

VaizardsParagon

Reputable
Jul 1, 2017
sounds like your friend is best of getting a new hdd

Try running DBAN on it and see if it will wipe them

careful not to wipe your hdd though.
I opened disk management on my own pc and everything froze to death. Im running on ryzen and I don't think its an issue its also showing up on my computer as two partitions and applications are crashing left and right. I am unable to wipe the disk using the disk manager since it wont boot unless I unplug the drive. I'll try your solution