NotSteve

Honorable
Oct 9, 2016
Hey everyone,

Now I know that the fan on this PSU is meant to operate in 0rpm mode, however at idle im seeing my psu fan is at 544(ish) rpm constantly.

Anyone have any ideas on why this is and if I should be concerned? Only noticed it today.

Thanks for any replies:)

Solution
Normally zero RPM just means quiet mode, so some PSU fans will still spin but very slowly to create no noise. Other fans that do drop to 0rpm will start spinning after a certain heat threshold. So you might fall under 1 of those 2 categories but I wouldn't worry about it. If you just noticed it then that means the fan's doing its job being quiet. Personally I wouldn't let it spin low or at 0RPM since the PSU is the heart of a system, the more watts it pumps the hotter it'll get. Low fan speed will dissipate that heat slower killing it faster.
Normally zero RPM just means quiet mode, so some PSU fans will still spin but very slowly to create no noise. Other fans that do drop to 0rpm will start spinning after a certain heat threshold. So you might fall under 1 of those 2 categories but I wouldn't worry about it. If you just noticed it then that means the fan's doing its job being quiet. Personally I wouldn't let it spin low or at 0RPM since the PSU is the heart of a system, the more watts it pumps the hotter it'll get. Low fan speed will dissipate that heat slower killing it faster.

Reactions: NotSteve
Solution