Question Corsair 550W PSU with aorus master 3070?

Jan 17, 2023
I have a question? Can I use a VS550W PSU with my 3070 for a couple of days? I need to use it because my old graphics card can't handle the workloads.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I would not. The Corsair VS is an entry-level PSU suitable for basic office machines that is inappropriate to run a 3070 on. If you were just taking about checking your email, I'd do that in an emergency, but talking about GPU workloads? Not in this lifetime, not in the next. Anything that would spike the GPU is a big no-no with this PSU.

Jan 17, 2023
I would not. The Corsair VS is an entry-level PSU suitable for basic office machines that is inappropriate to run a 3070 on. If you were just taking about checking your email, I'd do that in an emergency, but talking about GPU workloads? Not in this lifetime, not in the next. Anything that would spike the GPU is a big no-no with this PSU.
What if I would under volt the gpu?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
There's no safe undervolting I'd be comfortable with when putting on a high load on the GPU when using this GPU, which it sounds like you want to do.

The point is whether or not you accept there's a significant risk. Nothing may happen. But if something does happen, you could be out a GPU, and this would be something you broke, not a warranty issue.

Honestly, if it's something so crucial that you'd risk an expensive GPU on, it's something worth running by a store and getting something safe and dependable.