Question Corsair CX430 loud fan noises

Orbit Storm

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
Probably goes without saying that this unit needs to be upgraded.

What I'm asking right now though, is there any immediate cause for concern? System seems to run fine, temps are fine. That fan is loud.

Earlier today, we had a brief power outage from a bad storm and when my wife turned her PC back on, her power supply fried (loud pop). It was a generic brand included with this pre-built system, so I knew at some point it'd fail. No big deal. I still had this old Corsair CX430 boxed up that hasn't been used in probably three or so years. System booted fine. Had her test with a few games to be sure the unit could handle the load, and everything seems golden. Voltages look fine too.

The fan noise started randomly and hasn't stopped. I don't think there's anything rubbing anywhere. Sounds like it's the exhaust fan in the unit, maybe the intake. Can't say for certain.

Is this just an inconvenience or something worse?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
That in itself doesn't create that many worries. It's a pretty cheap PSU, so it's not like it has a quality fan in there. Most of my concerns would simply be the overall quality of the CX 430, which was a pretty poor quality PSU and now a decade old at a bare minimum, even though it may better than whatever just she had in the first place.

Orbit Storm

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2014
That in itself doesn't create that many worries. It's a pretty cheap PSU, so it's not like it has a quality fan in there. Most of my concerns would simply be the overall quality of the CX 430, which was a pretty poor quality PSU and now a decade old at a bare minimum, even though it may better than whatever just she had in the first place.

Whatever she had before didn't even have a brand name. Just its maximum output of 500W.

Fortunately, I'm not looking for the unit to be a long-term solution. Maybe a few weeks at most. I was just concerned that this thing would melt her PC. I thought maybe she had pushed the limits of the unit being that it's only 430 watts, but she plays fairly underwhelming stuff like WoW and Sims. i7-8700K, RTX 2060, 32 GB DDR4. Nothing super taxing.

It's quieted down since I posted this thread. Perhaps the fan was just struggling a bit after being boxed up for a few years.