Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2800 16GB Memory Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janithdalw

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
I would choose the Kingston HyperX here because it offers better value for money. Corsair is out of their mind. Damn, it's more expensive than my GTX 970 and DDR3 is not really a bottleneck of performance. DDR3 RAMs are more than enough for the next 5 years. I don't see myself upgrading to DDR4 until 2016.

Pikker

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
To be fair, more often than not this type of RAM will find it's way into systems that can easily exceed $1500+, at which point $50 isn't that big of a difference if it means a better-looking product, if you fancy window cases and such.
Back when DDR3 was cheap, the price premium for Dominator RAM was much higher than it is now.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
If you're upset over the price, consider the fact that new memory types are always high starting out. DDR3 wasn't exactly dirt cheap so many moons ago. They normalize after a year or so, when the quantity makes things more affordable, just like SSDs used to be.

But it was because of this issue alone, I personally made the decision NOT to build a X99. Not because I couldn't afford to do it, but the cost of the new form of memory would be way out of my comfort zone. You got to pay to play with the big boys.

sleepy1234

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
These tests don't make much sense. Ram doesn't do much in a video game in terms of bandwidth unless you run out of Vram and need to make use of Virtual memory. Testing at 4k or using a 1GB graphics card might show the true benefits of the higher speeds.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The difference was bigger a few years ago when DDR3 was fairly new, and even bigger in DDR2 days, in similar programs. The closing gap is a good indicator of progress :)

Too bad the reviews are getting published out-of-order...

Sabishii Hito

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
The Vengeance LPX kit with the same speed/timings would be interesting to throw into the mix, as ostensibly they are the exact same as the Dominators for a lot less price. Assuming they're Ver5.29 (Hynix ICs) the overclocking capability is very high for them.

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
I don't think I'll be making the jump until after my next platform upgrade.

My next one is a DDR3 based system built around a Core i5 and a GTX 970 or Radeon 380... once that system runs out of steam (5-8 years with more regular graphics upgrades), I'll br jumping on the DDR4 bandwagon... it's also enough time for these modules to go from $450 to $80

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
16gb testing is no longer a value. For this new generation i want 32, 64 or 128 memory kits.

Question is, what kind of work do you do that doesn't fit in 16GB? If it's Media Editing, CAD, etc I can see the need. If it's all purpose use and gaming, then you're just wasting money.

This is about what the price for 4GB of DDR3 was when it first came out. The high end kits always start off super high and then eventually will come down in price as production ramps up.

The major benefit will be DIMM density, We will probably be getting double the kit sizes with DDR4 vs DDR3. Great for servers and such, not so much for home systems yet.

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
People would buy this for the look and the LED lighting. Until avexir releases something similar this isn't too bad in terms of pricing. If you want budget then get Kingstons. If you need low profile spreaders g skill.

Using X99 just for gaming is way overkill by large. Capacity of the RAM usually depends upon the type of work the build is for but the catch here is different. It is GB per Core of the CPU in X99. Having more GB per core would actually benefit the heavy graphics work and rendering for which X99 aims for in MHO. Anyhow, high price is one critical factor that many users are simply not moving towards X99 or buying less expensive kits.

Price of DDR4 will reduce drastically once supporting platforms from Intel and AMD will be in market. Currently, the productions rate of DDR 4 is not that high that warrants a price drop because X99 is the only platform currently available which is supporting DDR4.

Price are expected to be reduced on DDR4 with the passage of time and availability of more supporting platforms.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
The moment I saw 4x4GB modules I skipped to the benchmarks and then on the comments. Why should we care about a 16GB kit when 16GB should be the base? I don't see any improvement yet. I'll come back later when we will speak of at least 16GBx4 or 32GBx2 kits.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good luck! The previous review had 4x 8GB kits if that helps.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
16gb testing is no longer a value. For this new generation i want 32, 64 or 128 memory kits.
Damned son.... who need 32GB+ of memory in their machines today? Even most games are happy with a little over 4GB's of memory, bottlenecking at 8GB's.
32GB's is enough in my opinion for any PC, gaming or not, at the moment. I'd more like them to increase GDDR5 memory on video cards to about...... oh, 8GB's to start out with.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
We're still talking about Corsairs top of the line Memory here. You're going to pay to play with the big boys, even if it were DDR3. Dominators weren't meant for the frugal or the budget crowd. This should have been obvious from the beginning.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What iGPU is DDR4-capable? And which identical CPUs can we use for the DDR3 vs DDR4 test?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's nearly the same, I think the differences you see are mostly due to Haswell-E's workstation-derived quad-channel memory controller. You can even cheat a little with fewer modules (using tighter-than-specified secondary and tertiary values).

Status
Not open for further replies.