Corsair h60 question help

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hi, I want to get a corsair h60 quiet edition water cooler for my i7 3770 (No overclock obviously, not a k series) but there's one problem. I have one 4 pin cpu header, and one 4 pin case fan header. My chassis header has splitter connect to two fans, the intake and exhaust. Is it okay if I connect the fan of the radiator and the pump to a 4 pin splitter on the cpu 4 pin header. Replies appreciated!

Solution
The sound of the pump is not adjustable. It has to run at full RPM or it can burn up. So whatever sound it has, is what you get. I'm assuming this is your H60:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

If you have a different one in mind, please link me to it so I can verify. I still have the above cooler sitting on my shelf. It disn't impress me and I went back to my 212 EVO. But you mention one called a "quiet Edition". Is that different?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The rad fan SHOULD be connected to the CPU FAN header. The pump should NOT. It should be connected to an always-12V connection. Don't connect the pump to a fan header unless you can set it to full speed. You can use a Molex to 3 pin connector if need be and connect it to any Molex from the PSU.

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

so will a constant 12v supply make the pump louder, or will it be just as loud as when it would be connected to the 4 pin ? Also, my case ( corsair 350d) has mounting options for the top for a radiator, is it okay for the rad to be mounted up there on the h60?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The sound of the pump is not adjustable. It has to run at full RPM or it can burn up. So whatever sound it has, is what you get. I'm assuming this is your H60:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

If you have a different one in mind, please link me to it so I can verify. I still have the above cooler sitting on my shelf. It disn't impress me and I went back to my 212 EVO. But you mention one called a "quiet Edition". Is that different?

Solution

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

it appears the "quiet edition" has a low noise low rpm 120 mm fan, also my current cooler is a cooler master tx3, it was a PAIN to install (uses the intel push pin design :( ) and the install forced me to install it in such a way that the fan on the cooler pulls air facing the graphics card. I wanted a closed loop cooler so I can have more open airflow in the case, especially for my new gtx 760 asus version, that mostly spits it's hot air into the case. Also, I just like the idea of my cpu getting air from outside the case.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
It may be an improvement for you then. Just be sure the pump is connected to a 3 or 4 pin header that is always at +12V. And it really isn't a good idea to share a fan header with more than 2 fans. The average header is only ~1A rating. Your Rad fan can simply connect back up to where the old cooler fan connected; the CPU FAN header. The Rad fan is 4 wire (PWM) and will be controlled via the BIOS just like the air cooler's fan was.

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Wait, on amazon's page for the h60, the rad fan's standalone picture clearly has a 3 pin connection http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A0HZMGA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18S8DTRYJRX4J2F64GX8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846 It's speed can still be controlled by the bios right? Also, my psu is the evga supernova g2 750 watt, what would be the cord to hook up to the pump?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The Amazon pic is an old one. I ordered mine from Amazon and got the one in the Newegg pic... which clearly shows a 4 wire fan. It indeed had a 4 wire PWM fan. If it ends up being a 3 wire fan, it will run at full RPM all the time when connected to the CPU FAN header.

If you are forced to use a Molex connector from your PSU for the pump, you will need one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CIGS75LfoMACFYhcMgodXGEAzw&Item=N82E16812226056&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Internal+Power+Cables-_-N82E16812226056&ef_id=U@FajAAAAfSaLYyw:20140820015856:s
...or one similar to it. Simply plug it into a matching Molex 4 pin from the PSU.

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

sorry about that. Also, to mount it on the top of the case, would the fan be facing the outside, or would the rad be facing the outside? EDIT: Also, I looked through my psu's box it came in , and it turns out the psu came with a molex to 4 pin cable, and it would plug into t he peripherals cable on the psu, which is all molex connectors!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The direction of the fan/radiator is always an arguing point. Corsair recommends:
IhiafoX.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

At idle, yes. But that was another complaint I had. When under load and the fan increased speed, it was noisier than my 212 EVO. I believe that was because of the suggested manner of placing the fan. Blowing in against the radiator. The turbulence of the air against that nearly solid surface became loud. My EVO 212 actually cools better and with less noise.

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

oh ok!

jareDrake13

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Hi, In just want to tell you about the cooler. Just to say, wow. Idle temps of 21-25 on i7 3770 with hyper threading and turbo boost enabled, never gets over 40 c when rendering or gaming!!!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

It sounds like a successful installation and a happy owner. Congrats on the installation and enjoy your gaming.