Question Corsair HX1200i, Is there a specific order to plug in the PCIe modular cables to an RTX 3090?

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
(not needed story. Scroll to bottom just for question) I have had the Corsair HX1200i for a few years now, and for a few years I had been having system instability. Very strange and random crashes while trying to game that I had never been able to solve. I'd upgraded my parts several times, tested components several times, reformatted countless times. I can't remember where, but somewhere online, back in September, I found someone mention about it might be the PSU. So I bought a BeQuiet Dark Pro 12 1200W PSU and swapped everything out. I put the Corsair HX1200i into my media server that has 2 LSI RAID cards and about 16 HDD, 1 SATA SSD, an m.2 and a GTX1060. Before that, it had a Corsair HX850i, which I put into my son's computer, which has my old Gigabyte Auros X299X Master and an Intel Core i9 10940X (my old system that was also crashing when I had it plugged into the HX1200i), and the Corsair HX750W from his was a spare.
After changing the PSU to the BeQuiet, I never had any more random, unexplained crashes like before, and had been happily gaming away. I hadn't even touched the computer or moved it, other than the dusting and cleaning we do on Sunday mornings (no cleaning products around the computer, just dusting). December 30th, I was gaming in the late afternoon and heard a loud pop and my computer shut down. I couldn't get it to turn back on again with the beQuiet. I couldn't get the BeQuiet to turn on at all, even using a water cooling jumper that lets you turn on the power without turning on the system. I checked the water cooling and there was no leak, everything completely dry. I plugged in the 750W that I had spare, just to see if my computer would boot, or if something happened to it as well. I booted no problem, so I spent the next 2 days taking out the BeQuiet PSU out of my gaming system, taking the Corsair HX1200i out of the server and putting that back into my gaming system to have something at least, and put the 750 into the server (and put up all the power saving stuff on it since 750W is definitely reaching it's limit).

(Question/Problem) So, I'm back using the Corsair HX1200i and back, getting the same random errors I did before. The system has an Intel Core i9 11900K, Gigabyte Auros RTX3090 Xtreme (the one with 3 HDMI, and has 3 x 8pin PCIe) . I have three separate PCIe cables run from the PSU to the GPU using the end jacks of the doubles (the PCIe cables have two 8 pin jacks each, and I'm using the end ones, in case it wasn't clear). I've tried setting the PSU to single rail and multi-rail 12V, no difference. I know with the BeQuiet it says to plug in the PCIe power cables in a specific order, but I couldn't find anything about that with the Corsair. Does it make a difference? Should I be plugging them in a specific way?

Lutfij

Titan
By few years, how many is the real question and what did it power prior to today is the second.

You're asked to avoid daisy chaining your PCIe connectors unless you fall into the last depiction in this illustration;
4veUOhl1sfxjBFJT1017NzUbQmmNVFmDPDgmpmkFrjI.jpg

That was instructions given by Seasonic(back in the day and even today).

As for the PSU, I'd chalk the HX1200i as a faulty unit considering it's moved from one build to the next and lower powered system's had no issues with it.

I have three separate PCIe cables run from the PSU to the GPU using the end jacks of the doubles (the PCIe cables have two 8 pin jacks each, and I'm using the end ones, in case it wasn't clear).
Might want to parse a picture of what you're doing. The connectors should have a labelled/marking to state which end goes to the GPU and which end terminates at the PSU.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
By few years, how many is the real question and what did it power prior to today is the second.

You're asked to avoid daisy chaining your PCIe connectors unless you fall into the last depiction in this illustration;
4veUOhl1sfxjBFJT1017NzUbQmmNVFmDPDgmpmkFrjI.jpg

That was instructions given by Seasonic(back in the day and even today).

As for the PSU, I'd chalk the HX1200i as a faulty unit considering it's moved from one build to the next and lower powered system's had no issues with it.

I have three separate PCIe cables run from the PSU to the GPU using the end jacks of the doubles (the PCIe cables have two 8 pin jacks each, and I'm using the end ones, in case it wasn't clear).
Might want to parse a picture of what you're doing. The connectors should have a labelled/marking to state which end goes to the GPU and which end terminates at the PSU.

I honestly can't say how many years it's been without trying to dig around for the receipt. Off the top of my head I'd say 4 or 5 years. I'm not sure when the HX1200i came out, with the "i" being the USB or Corsair Link being able to plug in for other controls.
Previous builds have been Intel Core i7 6850K with quad RAM, dual GTX1080tis in SLI. Upgraded the CPU and mobo to Core i9 10940X and at first, Asus Strix X299 Delux II, then the Gigabyte Auros X299X Master. Both of which went to my son when I got the Asus Strix Z590 Gaming-E WiFi and Intel Core i9 11900K. I have also upgraded the two GTX 1080tis to an RTX 3090, upgraded the main m.2 from the Adata SX8200 Pro to the WD SN850 Black.
As for the cables, think more like the third picture, except 3 cables, and I'm using the end jacks, not the first set in each. I can swap that around easily enough, but I don't think that would be it. The question was more wondering about the order of plugging them into the PSU. With the BeQuiet, the manual says to populate them in a specific order. I think it is more than likely that it is a faulty PSU since I get the same errors with it with whatever computer parts I'm using, but they stopped with the BeQuiet one. I was just wondering if it might be something I was missing, like plugging them in a certain order. The crashes only happen while gaming, though even with a simple game like "Diplomacy Is Not An Option". I'm replacing the BeQuiet one, just need to wait for it to arrive. But I was curious if there was something I was missing.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Always use the first connector if you can.
I'm pretty sure I had it that way in the beginning, using black electrical tape to tape down the extensions to make it look clean. Putting it together this time I didn't bother with trying to do a lot of work with cable management and stuff since I was going to be getting the BeQuiet replaced and having to do it all over again. I'll see about trying the first connectors again after dinner, but I don't have much in the way of hopes that it will make a difference.

Reactions: Vic 40

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
sorry, I didn't have a chance to try.
Little back story on me. I used to be in IT, last placement was at IBM at a research and development lab in Markham, Ontario. So, easy enough to say I know my way around computers. It was something like 17 years ago, so I can easily admit I'm out of touch with a lot of the business tech, but for end user/consumer/gamer, TomsHardware make it easy to keep up with the rest. As for stock trends, I learned while working at IBM to read between the lines. Anyway, I got forced into "early retirement" by disability. I have Ehler's Danlos Syndrome, and I have good days and bad days, kinda like arthritis. I did take a quick look in the case where it sits to see about the cables, but I did put them behind. I didn't tie them down or anything, but I would have to move the case and open it up to be able to pull them through that little bit, and I just haven't been up to that yet. Especially since the new PSU should arrive today or tomorrow.
Another crappy thing is that the crashes ended up corrupting the last three save files of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, the game I have been playing. The last save game file that seems okay is the one before the BeQuiet crash (cloud saves seem F'd up, too. I'm guessing Steam synced with the cloud saves and uploaded the bad ones, wiping out the good ones).

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Hope new psu wil solve this. Still would advice even with that to use first connector of each cable.

Your son can't help move the pc or even work on it? Changing cable's isn't rocket science.
New PSU came in. Swapped them out and after a couple of hours of game play, no problems.
Got the new PSU delivered yesterday. An amazingly stupid story about having to fight with the Amazon delivery guy. Long story, but shorter version; I live in a townhouse complex. I just happened to see his van outside when Amazon had said my packages had been delivered, but there was nothing on my doorstep. I went out to ask him about it and he said he had nothing for me. I asked him to double check his computer to make sure he didn't make a mistake and he kept fighting with me, refusing to check his computer, even though it was literally in his hand. Turns out he delivered 2 out of 3 of my packages to the wrong address. He went to grab them (they were at #16, I live at #26) and comes back a while later. Drops 3 packages at my door, all too light to be the PSU. I mentioned this. 2 of the 3 packages he gave me were mine, the other was addressed to someone else, but not even the same street, let alone the same complex. After searching his truck for a while, finds the PSU.
Anyway, after dinner I swapped out the PSU and went back to Shadow of the Tomb Raider. 3 of my game files had been corrupted from the crashes so I was a few hours of game play behind. But I loaded the one that was still good and played for a few hours before bed. No crashes at all, all good.
My son's 13 and I have been teaching him about putting computers together. When I got the Z590 and Intel Core i9 11900K, giving him my hand-me-downs, I had him put it in his computer. His case was also pretty old, though good, an Antek P182, I think? A good case, but more silent than good air flow. For Christmas I got him a Phanteks Eclipse P500A DRGB, white to match his computer desk, and had him swap it all out. Helped some of it. Seriously jealous of the new case, too. It's way nicer and better than my BeQuiet SilentBase 802. With the big PSU, RTX3090, custom water cooling, etc, the case is a bit too heavy for him to lift/move to be able to work on the cabling. I'm really not that sure if just changing the PCIe power cables to the first would end up making a difference, and I really didn't want to test it since the crashing had already corrupted 3 of my save game files. And as I wrote that I remembered something else. When it was in my server with all the hard drives, the server needs 6 peripheral cables (SATA and/or Molex). There's one SATA cable that when used, the computer won't turn on. It would try to turn on, but in less than a second, would click and turn off. Bunch of trial and error to find it was that specific cable, no specific port on the PSU. So, if the cable did that, maybe one of the PCIe cables for the RTX was messed up? Again, not something I want to test now, especially since that would also risk my RTX3090, which was over $3k Canadian.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
So new psu works again, that is good to know. Doesn't mean the HX 1200 I is bad, voltages might just get read/sensed wrong by the Asus bios. With the bad cable you can try Corsair support, maybe they can send you a new cable or maybe they just say to rma the whole psu with all that is happening when using it.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
So new psu works again, that is good to know. Doesn't mean the HX 1200 I is bad, voltages might just get read/sensed wrong by the Asus bios. With the bad cable you can try Corsair support, maybe they can send you a new cable or maybe they just say to rma the whole psu with all that is happening when using it.
You have to remember, with the Corsair HX1200i, I've had it for a long time and I was getting errors with various computers as I upgraded. Something like 5 or 6 motherboards, 3 CPUs, the GTX 1080tis, in SLI as well as single. The server that I moved it to has a GTX1060 6GB with hacked drivers for Plex encoding, etc. As for that one SATA cable, I'm not overly concerned. I have a Corsair HX850i, and a Corsair HX750, so no shortage of cables. Back with the BeQuiet PSU and everything up and running, that's good enough for me. I don't want to risk any of my computer components or whatever on trying to test through trial and error for the PCIe power cables.
btw, thanks for your help again.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
If the psu has brought stability issues over several systems is that enough to go for an rma. No harm in getting in touch with Corsair support.

Is up to you. Good that you have a nice running system again.

deleting my previous statement. Corsair reached out to me, which was a huge, pleasant surprise. I don't want to go into details, other than to say that they went far to make amends, and did so in a very friendly manner.

Last edited: