Question Corsair HX850 Plantinum, possible Coil Whine?

Aug 8, 2021
Hello,

Just built myself a new watercooled system in a Lian Li O11D XL case, AMD 5950X, Asus Crosshair VIII Hero MB, Asus Strix RTX3080 OC GPU, etc. And a Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU.

Ever since the first power on, there has been a high pitch noise, which I can only attribute to being Coil Whine, coming from the PSU. It is almost always present, and changes pitch as load changes. If idle on Windows 10 desktop, the sound is there, and if you say open MS Word or Outlook etc, the pitch changes with load until its loaded and idle again and it returns to its base frequency.
It sort of sounds like crickets, mixed with a bad case of tinnitus in your ear. It is way louder than all the fans in my system, and I can hear it from outside my office.

I made a recording using my phone, started off about 20cm from the PSU, then at about the 15 second mark I moved it right next to the PSU rear, then at around 30 seconds I loaded up Outlook, you can hear the pitch change. Definitely coming from the PSU, not another component.

Thoughts?

I posted the MP3 on Onedrive which can be played directly, https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak2DUCelcmmIhdh-jl0aSklS-wH66g?e=1sd9Gw

Regards
JB

Hello,

Just built myself a new watercooled system in a Lian Li O11D XL case, AMD 5950X, Asus Crosshair VIII Hero MB, Asus Strix RTX3080 OC GPU, etc. And a Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU.

Ever since the first power on, there has been a high pitch noise, which I can only attribute to being Coil Whine, coming from the PSU. It is almost always present, and changes pitch as load changes. If idle on Windows 10 desktop, the sound is there, and if you say open MS Word or Outlook etc, the pitch changes with load until its loaded and idle again and it returns to its base frequency.
It sort of sounds like crickets, mixed with a bad case of tinnitus in your ear. It is way louder than all the fans in my system, and I can hear it from outside my office.

I made a recording using my phone, started off about 20cm from the PSU, then at about the 15 second mark I moved it right next to the PSU rear, then at around 30 seconds I loaded up Outlook, you can hear the pitch change. Definitely coming from the PSU, not another component.

Thoughts?

I posted the MP3 on Onedrive which can be played directly, https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak2DUCelcmmIhdh-jl0aSklS-wH66g?e=1sd9Gw

Regards
JB
My HX1000 does coil whine a bit sometimes, although recently it hasn't been doing it. It's not as loud though I can only hear it if I'm next to the system.

Aug 8, 2021
the fans adjust their RPM according to temperature report, not load used.

so you've already tested stopping the fan while in use.
you should report all troubleshooting you have already been through.

Temperature rises with load, so they go hand in hand. But yes, the fan comes on with temperature.

The sound happens when the fan is running or not. Just did various cinebench and other benchmark tests to get some heat into the system, and the sound is constant throughout, aside from the pitch changes periodically.