Corsair Intros LL Series RGB Fans With Dual Lighting Zones

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I read the article and I love the new fans because they can be changed to match the theme of rig they are in but instantly laughed out as the scenario below played out in my head:

Marketing - Customer are going crazy over the this RBG thing we need more!

Engineers - Well we already milked their pockets by making them choose between HD120/HD140, SP120/SP140 and ML fans. I don't think they will fall for more of the RGB gimmick.

Marketing - Well how about we combine the SP and HD lighting zones creating a new 2 zone lighting fan so they can have twice the RGB?

Engineers - Shall we also put the ML maglev technology in it as well?

Marketing - Hell no! We will add RGB to ML fans after E3 2018 and say its new!

Engineers - Shall we make those dual lighting zones as well?

Marketing - Hell no! Make 2 models. One model will have an outer ring with individual addressable LEDs and the other will be an inner ring with 1 colour.

Engineers - But that doesn't make any sense, the customers wont fall for it.

Marketing - They will. They will indeed.

radio1981

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Why would I buy a dual pack of 140mm for $99 when I can buy individual ones for $40? Shouldn't the multipack be LESS expensive than buying the fans individually?

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

Did you not read the very last sentence? It says 'The multipacks also include Corsair’s Lighting Node Pro controller, which is a $60 value.'
The 120mm 3 pack is also more expensive then buying 3 individual fans.

There is more to it than that. A lot is about R&D and cost vs return. I doubt it would have been the same price when the HD/SP fans came out.

Of course they do have the options because some people do not like RGB, that's where the MLs come in, and some like the way the SP look vs the HD. I personally think the HDs look vastly better than the SPs in the 570x.

But you are correct. They and all companies should stop making new products others might like and continue making the same old stuff.

Or, they release new products that may or may not sell well depending on how good they are.

Personally I am waiting to see what the specs are on these vs the HDs.

Because it includes the fans AND the Pro Node controller. So if you buy it all separately you would pay $140. It is like getting a free fan.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

It would be funny if the released 3 versions of the LL fans creating more segmentation in their product line.

1 High Performance edition (2400 RPM)
1 Quiet edition (1500 RPM)
1 model that comes with AIOs that spin faster than the performance model (2700 RPM).

This makes 9 different fan models on there website.

What I don't like is that they force Corsair link on the customer to control the fans which is terrible software. Coolermaster went about the right way and used the 4 pin RGB header on the motherboard to let the motherboard control the RGB eliminating extra hardware, software and cost.

I can say 1 thing though, they finally gave customers what they have been asking for years. The ability to stop the fans at 0RPM via corsair link but they top out at 1500RPM. And I love the frosted hub and frame as it spreads the light more evenly as opposed to the clear plastic on the HD models. As for me, I'm not willing to update my 4 SP120L (2700 RPM) fans or Corsair Commander Mini until 2020. By then they should have the product line all smoothed out lol.

Waiting to see the radiator performance reviews on the LL fans vs the SP fans.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Everyone hates something, I'm sure you have something you like to do that others hate as well....

Status
Not open for further replies.