soterius

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Hello all, I would really appreciate anything you can tell me to help choose one of the following three memory kits. Price isn't important, I just wanna know which one gives best performance.

G.Skill DDR2 Dual Channel 4096 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz

Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5 G 4096 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz

Kingston ValueRam Dual Channel 4096 MB, PC6400, 800 MHz

The only obvious difference I can see, is that the G.Skill has a CAS-latency of 4 and the others two have a CAS-latency of 5. Now does that automatically mean the G.Skill is the best choice?

Other specs that might be important:

Motherboard: P5K-E/WiFi-AP
CPU: Q6600 G0
GPU: 8800 GT 512 MB
HDD: WD Caviar GP 750 GB

Thank you in advance!!

soterius

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Thanx for your advice there. I'm curious, did those reviews elaborate on why the Corsair performs better even though the G.Skill has better latency? And what about your own experiences? Did you do benchmarks or something? It just seems strange to me that the one with best latency does not have the best performance..

winkgood

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Corsair isn't the same superior ram that it used to be. Back in the DDR days, Corsair XMS was the stuff to get for overclockers but things have changed and other companies are using just as high quality components.

I bought two gigs of Corsair dominator when I built a system a year or so ago with the old mindset that corsair was superior only to find out that Corsair was using cheap ram in their dominator series. So I basically paid a premium for better heat spreaders/combs.

My recommendation is that you look on overclocking sites as to how far people have been able to push certain types of memory and go on that. If you notice, Toms hasn't used corsair for any of their overclocking projects in quite awhile which does give an indication as to where corsair stands right now.

For future posters in this thread: Don't just say stuff like "I like corsair because I have it and it works great." Give the op something substantial. IE - "I overclocked this to 1000 Mhz on these timings with this voltage and ran prime95 for 24 hours."

Also, newegg reviews aren't the most accurate source of information when buying. You definitely want to stay away from the stuff with really low reviews, but a lot of products usually have around 4-5 stars so further research is needed to find out what really works the best.

soterius

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
Something substantial would be nice yes :D

By the way, I'm not planning to do an overclock. I just want to know which set gives best performance at normal speed, without overclocking. At this moment I'm still leaning towards the G.Skill, simply because it has better CAS-latency and I haven't really heard any solid arguments why the Corsair or Kingston would be better...

lcaley

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I also have 2Gb of G.Skill ram, and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. Seems very fast and stable.

Hope this helps.

MikosNZ

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
If you not overclocking then a cheap 4gb set would be best, failing that the cheapest of the three options above.

Without overclocking I doubt you will be able to tell the difference between any of the three options. The only difference in my humble opinion is the epeen effect.

I have 4gb of the gskill ddr2 800 at 4-4-4-12 and it works as well as you could reasonably expect. As per sig its running with a 600mhz oc, I havent tried going any higher as its fast enough for my needs already but im sure it could go higher.

Winly

Distinguished
well one little tip, in almost all Tomshardware reviews, they use Corsair Memory. Maybe in other reviews they use different memories like G.Skill or OCZ. (correct me if im wrong)