Corsair Launching Three Fast New SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I believe you have your read and write speeds reversed. Quote "and will supposedly feature a 128MB cache and read and write speeds of 200MB/s and 240MB/s, respectively."

G

10 TB for $100 and sold! Too bad we arent anywhere near that.

notty22

Distinguished
In 2004 I paid almost 300 for the original 37 gig raptor, 10,000 rpm.
Its 8.0ms seek time was the draw. It gave a system boost, but nothing like a ssd does for 105.00/boot drive.

G

Even the most power hungry users should laugh at these SSD prices. If you visit online tech stores (like newegg), we're told we are getting good deals or discount savings even when the things still cost $3 a gigabyte. It's all just become one big jerk-off session to see who's got the fastest boot time.

I understand the idea of quick program load times and, as graphic designer, having programs like the Adobe Suite instantly on when I need them. But you still have to ask yourself why? The money used for an SSD would be better used for productivity if you bought a faster processor. If your a gamer, the money could a go to better use countless ways, processor, video, or a high end cooling setup (liquid and etc.)

SSD's just don't make sense yet, and they won't until the prices fall consistently into the $2/gig range on the larger drives.

/rant

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Very very nice, everything looks great when you are window shopping. However I'm just an average joe, can't really justify it yet but we are getting there damn it :D

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
It's ridiculous how much they still charge for SSD's,when they drop to 100-200 dollar range I might retire my 36Gb Raptor....other than that no thank you I can wait.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
It is ridiculous how many cheap chumps keep commenting on price. It's new technology, what do you
want them to give them to you for free. If you can't afford the steak and lopster don't look at it, look
at the salid bar.

n8dogg

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
What the hell is a lopster? I personally have never eaten at a salid bar but I would assume it's some sort of hooker bar??

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]It is ridiculous how many cheap chumps keep commenting on price. It's new technology, what do youwant them to give them to you for free. If you can't afford the steak and lopster don't look at it, lookat the salid bar.[/citation]

First, your spelling is terrible, so not many people are going to take your post seriously.

Second, SSD drive prices went up significantly since October. 256GB SSD drives used to generally cost between $599 and $680. Now they are $740 - $800+ for the same drives that were on the market back in October. .

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I remember when I got my Corsair P128 (Sequential read 220mb/s, write 200mb/s) for $260. It's now $375. This was about a year ago.

I can't wait until after a year these new Corsair SSD's are released. I can then spend $115 more!

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]It's ridiculous how much they still charge for SSD's,when they drop to 100-200 dollar range I might retire my 36Gb Raptor....other than that no thank you I can wait.[/citation]

Just so you know the samsung f3's are slightly faster. I did that switch recently.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
why pay for larger 3.5drives for a ludacris $1,400 when you can buy smaller and lighter SSd's that may be just a tad bit slower for basically $1,000 less? Does this make sense?

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I think I'll hold out a couple more years before investing in a SSD. With an average price fall of 40% anually per GB, it should be perfectly affordable by then.

barmaley

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]It is ridiculous how many cheap chumps keep commenting on price. It's new technology, what do youwant them to give them to you for free. If you can't afford the steak and lopster don't look at it, lookat the salid bar.[/citation]

Ok, even though several people had already responded to this, I still want add a few things. I'm not one of those who you consider "cheap chumps". I have a fairly decent gaming system, like many people on this website. I have a full time job and certainly can afford to buy even a $1700 SSD mentioned in this article, should I need one, without changing my lifestyle even temporarily, again like many people on this website. However, just because I have the resources to do so, does not mean that I'm going to buy something that does not feel like a good deal. No, I don't need them to give it away for free. But, likewise, I refuse to be taken to the cleaners just because it's new technology.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010

I, for one... would LOVE some lopster. A side salid would be nice, too.

5gtbilko

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Well all lopster and salid aside, the article itself is full of mistakes.
Bad english and wrong or incomplete information.
Don't you guys at Toms Hardware proof-read your articles?
Even at a glance you can see that something is wrong with the numbers.
Quote "The extra $10-$20 will buy and read speeds of up to 215MB/s and write speeds of 130MB/s on the 60GB model and 195MB/s on the 120GB model".
"will buy and read speeds"? or "195MB/s on the 120GB model"
Is 195MB/s write or read or is it buy and read...what do you mean?
Half of the speeds shown are in fact not faster at all.
Please try and be clear and precise boys. It's just not very professional the way it is.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
To take the middle of the road here and avoid the lopster, repeated, "OMG too expensive"? How do these repeated personal purchasing choice rants further the article? Most reputable hardware sites are recommending SSDs as at least boot drives in higher end gaming systems. And vendors as well are providing then as options.

The slow boat today for most systems is the magnetic hard drive. The fastest CPU, RAM, and GPU cannot overcome their limitations as doen of those components can flex until the computer boots and your application loads into RAM.

If you try an SSD in everyday use you won't want to go back. I don't care what kind of conventional drive array you're using. A decent SSD is, noticably different and noted as the most significant means to improve overall system performance.

So yeah the fifth "OMG!, they are too expensive still!" We got it. You do think its a good deal. Fine.

I do. And whether I have a full time job or not, SSD's rock. Now pass the drawn butter.

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
So, I'm thinking that 'lopster' could become a meme or phrase.
Perhaps reffering to high-end/enthusiast level hardware.

That aside, I'm more interested in the end products from the new shrink, so I'll wait untill those products become available before considering the purchase of a SSD (lower prices, possibly higher perfomance).

Status
Not open for further replies.