News Corsair Starts Selling Wood PC Case Panels

chaz_music

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I hope these wood accent pieces are just an exterior laminate covering and not the structural part of the case. The reason UL and IEC allows PC power supplies and the rest of the PC subsystems (HDD and SSD cables, etc.) to not need fuses is that the box should have a metal interior to stop a cable fire from exiting the box. Having seen a burned up server once made me remember how important that actually is. And to highlight how common this is, we just need to recall that recently in the PC world, there have been video power cables burning due to engineering / manufacturing errors.

So make sure that you keep the smoke in the box, especially if the box really does smoke.

And related: Don't buy things that plug in to an outlet that do not a UL (or ETL) mark on them. The US was the first country to have safe appliances because of UL and similar safety agency standards.

Reactions: bolweval and Why_Me

bolweval

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
I hope these wood accent pieces are just an exterior laminate covering and not the structural part of the case. The reason UL and IEC allows PC power supplies and the rest of the PC subsystems (HDD and SSD cables, etc.) to not need fuses is that the box should have a metal interior to stop a cable fire from exiting the box. Having seen a burned up server once made me remember how important that actually is. And to highlight how common this is, we just need to recall that recently in the PC world, there have been video power cables burning due to engineering / manufacturing errors.

So make sure that you keep the smoke in the box, especially if the box really does smoke.

And related: Don't buy things that plug in to an outlet that do not a UL (or ETL) mark on them. The US was the first country to have safe appliances because of UL and similar safety agency standards.
chaz_music/smokey bear. ;)

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
They seriously punched holes in Teak that came all the way from Laos or Burma...to make a PC case ?!

Even if it's just layers of veneer, what a waste.

What's next, a PC case made from Mahogany so a few rich kids from Dubai can post a picture of it on social media ?

What a waste of great wood.

Last edited:

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Having seen a burned up server once made me remember how important that actually is. And to highlight how common this is, we just need to recall that recently in the PC world, there have been video power cables burning due to engineering / manufacturing errors.

How flammable wood is depends on the wood. Hardwoods like Teak are not that flammable.

But Bamboo, yes, Bamboo will catch fire like crazy with the minor spark.

MiniITXEconomy

Prominent
Dec 9, 2022
And to highlight how common this is, we just need to recall that recently in the PC world, there have been video power cables burning due to engineering / manufacturing errors.

If you're referencing the 12HVPWR cables from nVidia, I thought Gamers Nexus proved those mishaps were due to user error? The way I see it, my computer's either sitting on my wooden desk or underneath it so wood accented panels slapped onto the side of it isn't hurting me much.

As for it being a waste of wood... I suppose, but it was already cut! If it was going to be wasted on something, then why would a chair be considered any less stupid than a computer case?

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM

KyaraM

Admirable
And to highlight how common this is, we just need to recall that recently in the PC world, there have been video power cables burning due to user errors.
Fixed that for you. If people are too dumb to make sure their plugs are properly seated, that's on them and nobody else, no matter how much you moan about bad design. It's really not hard to check.

TRENDING THREADS