Question Corsair Vengeance versus Vengeance Pro DDR4 ?

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
I am trying to upgrade my Corsair Vengence RGB ram to 32gb as i currently only have 16gb and im struggling to run Escape From Tarkov....

I have recently bought a new rtx3080 and i already have an i7-8700k so i should be able to run most games easily.... My motherboard only supports DDR4 at present and i already have corsair vengence so i wanted to match it as it saves me £ unless obviously its better to upgrade to some other DDR4.

The issue i have is i originally bought this RAM ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071RYZRJD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And i cannot find it anywhere only the PRO version seems to exist ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Vengeance-Enthusiast-Illuminated-Memory/dp/B07D1XCKWW

So my question is.. is it the same RAM and can i use this is my machine alonside the old stuff i have... Or am i being stupid and should i upgrade it to something much better (baring in mind as mentioned i can only have DDR4)

Any help welcomed !

Cheers

George

Lutfij

Titan
Can you please pass on the make and model of your current motherboard and it's BIOS version?

can i use this is my machine alonside the old stuff i have
You should not mix and match rams. This is more so the fact when working with Corsair rams since they tend to have PCB revision numbers on the side of each stick or even on the ram kits, to denote their IC's used/sourced by Corsair. People have bene known to run into BSoD's when mixing and matching Corsair rams in spite of being within the same series but with different PCB revisions.

To add, the series of the ram kits are not the same.

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
My problem is this is the ‘pro’ version and I worry it’s different to the one I have on the link I sent in my original post. Is this ram even still sufficient as if not I’ll just upgrade it all

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
Can you please pass on the make and model of your current motherboard and it's BIOS version?

You should not mix and match rams. This is more so the fact when working with Corsair rams since they tend to have PCB revision numbers on the side of each stick or even on the ram kits, to denote their IC's used/sourced by Corsair. People have bene known to run into BSoD's when mixing and matching Corsair rams in spite of being within the same series but with different PCB revisions.

Currently have a ROG STRIX Z370-E MOTHERBOARD

This is my current motherboard

ROG STRIX Z370-E MOTHERBOARD
I worry my current ram is unmatchable and maybe they discontinued it ? Is it worth getting other ram? Is my ram even any good anymore ? Are there better DDR4 alternatives ? Cheers

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
My problem is this is the ‘pro’ version and I worry it’s different to the one I have on the link I sent in my original post. Is this ram even still sufficient as if not I’ll just upgrade it all
maim difference between rgb and rgb pro is heatsink height size difference, whats underneath it migh be something totaly different even if you buy same ram (unmatched pair), as there is also revision number of that stick

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If you need 32GB of memory then buy a 2X16GB set and try to sell your 2X8 GB set.

If you don't then you might get stuck with 2 sets of 2X8GB memory the just don't work together putting you right back at buying a 2X16GB set.

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
maim difference between rgb and rgb pro is heatsink height size difference, whats underneath it migh be something totaly different even if you buy same ram (unmatched pair), as there is also revision number of that stick
So would you suggest I get new stuff ? I just ideally wanted another x2 sticks of 8gb of the same stuff I have currently

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
If you need 32GB of memory then buy a 2X16GB set and try to sell your 2X8 GB set.

If you don't then you might get stuck with 2 sets of 2X8GB memory the just don't work together putting you right back at buying a 2X16GB set.
I ideally want 2 sticks of the 8gb versions of what I have now but I presume I can’t do that ? If not what is good to upgrade too DDR4

First I would watch the resource manger and see if you are actually using all the memory or not. That game claims it only needs 8g and you have 16 already. Now maybe the game has a bug the eats memory if you run it too long maybe restarting the game every so often will keep the usage in control.
If you are not actually using all your memory adding more will not have much if any effect.

Memory is a tricky problem. Even if you were to walk into a store and buy 2 packages of exactly the same memory that does not mean the memory will work together. This is the reason they sell kits of memory with multiple sticks in the same package. In the factory when they were testing memory they match sticks of memory that had almost identical results and put them together.
This gets even worse when you purchase the memory say month or years later. They might have made small revisions to the boards or maybe they are using a different brand of memory chips.

Pretty much the only way you can be almost sure to get memory to work is to buy what you need in a single kit and even then it is best if it is on the QVL list for your motherboard.

Now if you mess with it long enough you likely can get most memory sticks to work but you pretty much need to be a expert in setting all those memory parameters related to timing and voltages.

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
First I would watch the resource manger and see if you are actually using all the memory or not. That game claims it only needs 8g and you have 16 already. Now maybe the game has a bug the eats memory if you run it too long maybe restarting the game every so often will keep the usage in control.
If you are not actually using all your memory adding more will not have much if any effect.

Memory is a tricky problem. Even if you were to walk into a store and buy 2 packages of exactly the same memory that does not mean the memory will work together. This is the reason they sell kits of memory with multiple sticks in the same package. In the factory when they were testing memory they match sticks of memory that had almost identical results and put them together.
This gets even worse when you purchase the memory say month or years later. They might have made small revisions to the boards or maybe they are using a different brand of memory chips.

Pretty much the only way you can be almost sure to get memory to work is to buy what you need in a single kit and even then it is best if it is on the QVL list for your motherboard.

Now if you mess with it long enough you likely can get most memory sticks to work but you pretty much need to be a expert in setting all those memory parameters related to timing and voltages.
Any idea what the best DDR4 ram is in this case then as I’ll just purchase 2 16GB sticks if that’s logical

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
So I’m looking to upgrade my RAM as I currently have 2 sticks of 8gb and I want 32gb of ram total to run escape from tarkov and new current triple A game titles… I have tried endlessly to find my sticks but they seem to have discontinued it and I can only find the ‘pro’ version. I’ve also heard getting 2 sticks of the same stuff now could cause problems bla bla bla …

my current specs are

Current specs -
INTEL I7 8700K 3.7GHZ
RTX 3080
16GB CORSAIR DDR3 RAM
EVGA 650w G2 GOLD

I don’t have any idea on ram if I’m completely honest I’ve had the same sticks for 4 years ish now … I just want to know do I need 4 sticks of 8gb ? Or 2 sticks of 16GB? And what DDR4 ram is good now ? What will work with my pc etc ? Any help I appreciate

thanks

Are you sure you have DDR 3?

Best idea is 2 sticks of 16 gb each in ONE package. Not 2 separate packages of 1 stick each.

You can try to find something actually mentioned on the motherboard's qualified list if you want, but a lot of RAM not on the list will work fine.

If Intel, look for 3200 or 3600 speed.

Ralston18

Titan
The guiding document is the motherboard's User Guide/manual.

Pay attention to revision numbers.

Check the specification pages for supported RAM and RAM configurations.

Some motherboards require that the first physically installed RAM stick be placed in a specific slot.

Also visit the motherboard manufacturer's website for more up-to-date information and changes.

The required RAM will need to be purchased as a kit of matched RAM modules.

Pretty standard process you go to the vendor for your motherboard and search for QVL for memory. This purely is a list of memory kits they have tested.
This represents you best chance they work out of the package.

Make sure this is actually your motherboard asus has lots of very similar names.

gcuzza

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
Are you sure you have DDR 3?

Best idea is 2 sticks of 16 gb each in ONE package. Not 2 separate packages of 1 stick each.

You can try to find something actually mentioned on the motherboard's qualified list if you want, but a lot of RAM not on the list will work fine.

If Intel, look for 3200 or 3600 speed.
Sorry mate you’re right it’s DDR4 was a typo … I’m thinking I just get the same ram I currently have but in 16GB version .. it runs at 3200 speed and has worked great for years… unless 3600 is noticeably different and worth the upgrade