Question Could a faulty CPU be causing this?

Juanbenzo

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi everyone.

First of all, here are my specs:

CPU: I7 4790k
GPU: Asus Gtx 1080 Strix
PSU: EVGA 750W Bronze
MOBO: Asus Z97-A
RAM: Kingston HyperX 1866mhz.

I was playing OW about two weeks ago when suddenly Windows 10 crashed and I got a BSOD. I didn't think much of it as I thought that restarting the system would be enough to solve the problem. It wasn't. After I restarted it multiple times, checked the BIOS for any bad voltages or even overclocks I hadn't done, it still wouldn't boot.

Of course, I tried replacing the main HDD with the secondary one, but it just BSODs at startup; right after the Windows logo disappears. I tried reinstalling it through my bootable USB drive created using the Windows Media Tool but it also BSODs at startup. I tried creating a bootable Ubuntu usb drive in total desperation, and while it booted, it crashed frequently and usability was largely inhibited. This is the main problem: it BSODs whatever I do, and just gets into an inescapable restart-bsod cycle.

The code errors seem to change every time that it BSODs, for example I got some "CRYPTO_LIBRARY_INTERNAL_ERROR" and some RAM related error, but after a while it just says "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" and no matter what I try or do or change in the BIOS every time it starts up it displays that error.

Naturally, at first I thought it was a software issue, so I tried what I already told you, the ubuntu bootable usb, because I read that it comes with built-in diagnostic tools that, while available on Windows, I of course can't access. I tried booting with “Ultimate Boot CD” and attempted to run some diagnostics but that yielded no results. It seems that diagnosing a software issue is impossible. And also, it being a software issue seems improbable, given that I also couldn’t boot from the Windows USB or even my secondary HDD, which has no OS installed. Yes: It doesn’t have any OS installed but it still seemed to boot up Windows and also gives the same error. The most I could do is get to a screen that gave me the option to go to system recovery or to restart: it crashes when you click on System Recovery.

As you can imagine, I was already desperate by this point so I checked for hardware errors. First I checked the RAM sticks: they’re fine, and the RAM slots on the MOBO are also alright. I thought it might be a voltage error (even though the BIOS showed they were all okay, I live in Buenos Aires were the electricity service isn’t good so there are frequent blackouts) so I tried replacing the PSU with an ever better one from my dad’s pc, and of course, it still didn’t work.

And this is why this is on the CPU forum. At last, I knew it was either the MOBO or the CPU, and because the MOBO seemed to be the more likely culprit I sent it to get checked, and they’ve recently informed me that they detected no problems with it. Also, CPUs are much more expensive than MOBOs here in Argentina so I was hoping it was the Motherboard, but now I know it is not.

Given all of this, it would seem like the CPU is the culprit. However, I still feel that if it (although badly) booted other OSs and was working perfectly until just a few weeks ago (I bought this cpu around two years ago) then it can’t be.

So; BSOD whatever I do, tried other OSs and they worked, tried to reinstall Windows but BSOD before the ‘choose a language’ screen; thought it was a hardware problem and it seems like it’s the CPU. As you can tell, I’ve basically given up at this point.

All and any help is appreciated and please excuse my horrible english.

Juanbenzo

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
It is strange that with a faulty cpu you can simply enter windows.

I'm inclined to be a RAM problem. If you have 2 sticks try starting with only one. Then another.

Hi, thank you for replying.

I can't actually enter windows: it BSODs right after the logo disappears, before I can even enter my password or anything like that. With the USB it was the same. It just won't load past the loading screen, if that makes sense.

I thought it was the RAM at one point and tried every possible combination of slots and sticks, including what you suggest, and the problem was still there.

Juanbenzo

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
have you taken the cpu out and looked in the cpu socket and under cpu for broken pins?

I have, and this was one of my main fears because this has actually already happened to me with this CPU on an Ashrock MOBO. However this time it didn't look like any pin was broken or bent, and I also think if one was the people at the technical service would have told me.

Juanbenzo

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
It can be Cpu or ram.Depends.I don't think it's the psu as usually you can pick up as a psu usually trips the pc power(for instance like in my case i had a faulty 3.3v)and it kept on restarting without a bsod.

I tried a completely different PSU from another PC and the problem persisted, so this is discarded.

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
Last edited:

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
if your looking for a cheap replacement. look for used intel xeon e3 1240 v3 or e3 1270 v3 your motherboard seem to support them. about 120 s used on ebay or aliexpress.

cheaper option intel xeon e3 1220 v 3 80 s but only quadcore

Juanbenzo

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
ok , it is not common that cpus and ram die so you got real unlucky. If you bought it used the previous owner might have overclocked it and shortend the Life of it.

I bought it new... guess I just got really unlucky. Im leaving this open just in case anyone has other suggestions. Seriously dude, thank you for your help.

Juanbenzo

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
UPDATE: Thanks to your help I was able to narrow it down to it being a CPU issue. This led me to try meddling with every CPU-related thing in the BIOS, and so I found that the pc works perfectly but only with 1 core enabled; if I enable 2, 3, or all 4, it just crashes like always. Activating or deactivating hyperthreading did not seem to make a difference.

Once I got to Windows and could finally test some things, all though very slowly, I downloaded the Intel Diagnostics Tool, ran the tests and the CPU passed them all.

So, faced with this, I would like to know if there is any specific software that I could use to further diagnose or even solve the problem.

Thank You.