Question Could a faulty PSU start causing stutter?

Mar 24, 2024
Hey all!

So a few months ago my PC started stuttering/hitching seemingly out of nowhere. I tried everything I could find online but nothing fixed it.

I have switched every component in my PC excluding an SSD. I also changed my motherboard which seemed to fix the issue. Later it started stuttering again although significantly less.

Last week I decided to finally update my BIOS version to the latest one, and after that the stuttering worsened back to what it was with the old motherboard.

My friend wondered if it could be the PSU. I’m not sure but could a faulty PSU break the motherboard since i tried another known good PSU and it didn’t help. My current PSU (Corsair RM750) is 3 years old bought brand new.

If any of you know anything that could fix this, please comment. If you need more info, feel free to ask. Thanks for reading! :)

SPECS:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
GPU: Asus RTX 3070 TI
MOBO: Asus B550-F Gaming WIFI II
PSU: Corsair RM750 750w
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb 3600mhz
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB 60% full and Seagate Barracuda 500gb 20% full

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original to build)?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Look in Reliability History/Monitor for error codes, warnings, and even informational events just before or at the times stuttering occured.

Also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both tools but only one tool at a time) to observe system performance. You will need to leave the tool window open and viewable while working, gaming, etc. as usual.

Watch for what changes when stuttering starts and stops.,

Reactions: Nikzogg
Mar 24, 2024
@Ralston18 updated the post.
What’s weird is that usually when playing, my GPU usage shows 0-2% in task manager, but normal in Nvidia overlay.

Some games stutter more and some less (e.g. The Finals, there’s one map that doesn’t stutter almost at all). The stuttering also occur mostly when moving around the map. If i stay still and move the camera around, no stutters (except if something is happening in the background, like buildings breaking in The Finals)

Snowrunner has the worst stutters, very frequent, every 5 seconds or so(when moving). Very noticeable, sometimes last for up to half a second. The Finals on the other hand mostly has really short hitches but even more frequent, like 1-2 seconds between hitches.

TRENDING THREADS