Question Could anyone advice what to do with supposedly failing GPU?

May 25, 2023
I’m wondering if anyone has ideas on this issue...

When I’m playing any other games like Hogwards or Overwatch everything works perfectly. But when I play a very old game during specific situation (when fps drops rapidly due to bad game optimization) my primary screen goes nuts. I’m getting really crazy artefacts, and tabbing out of the game doesn’t help. I need to reboot the pc 1-2 times for problem to go away.

I also wanna note that the artefacts are visible not only on the screen but on the screenshots too (so faulty monitor is very unlikely) and every time they appear they look completely different. My secondary screen looks perfect, no artefacts, no problems at all.

My pc build (all parts are 6 months old):
- gpu: msi 3070ti ventus
- cpu: i5-13600KF
- psu: be quiet! 750W
- primary monitor: samsung G7
- secondary monitor: some old DELL
- ram: KINGSTON FURY DDR4 16GBx2
- mobo: Asus Rog Strix B660-A

Here's what the artefacts look like:
https://ibb.co/L1hGxSy (This one was the worst case so far, because artefacts were actually moving non-stop and I couldn't see anything on the screen, the color scheme was completely broken too)
https://ibb.co/zhM0Hhw (The same time as the previous one, even windows ui is affected on that screen when restarting, artefacts completely gone after restart).

The possible reasons I'm considering right now:
1. G-Sync+rapid fps drop = screen goes crazy (that would explain why non-gsync screen is unaffected)
2. VRam is dying (that's why certain ui element are duplicating and distorting on the images 3-4)
3. bad psu or bad powering (I'm powering with 2x8 from single split cable which I found out is kind of bad and I will reconnect it this weekend)
4. Some software/drivers issues

I think that this is very likely to be GPU issue, but I doubt they're going to detect it if I send it back to the store, because it's happening only in this game and only on the primary monitor (They won't be able to reproduce it most likely).
What also makes me feel strange is that I use this PC a lot (both for work and gaming) and it never happens anytime but when I play this specific game (I play it every day but it happens like once a week during a very rapid fps drop).

Do you have any ideas what could be done in this situation?

P.S. I'm sorry if I didn't give enough information, this is the first time I'm using tech forum :D

Reactions: Avro Arrow

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
since it only happens on this one old game, it is not likely to be a hardware issue. your taxing the gpu a lot more with the newer games so if it was the gpu dying, you'd def see problems there.

i assume this old game is issue. have you tried running it in compatibility mode for an older OS. that usually helps older software. don't know what game it is or what OS it was made for, but try setting it to maybe win 7 compatibility and see if that helps.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder if DXVK would be of some help with your older games. Something I have been meaning to try with an Nvidia card for a while. Intel's implementation for Arc is pretty decent.