Could this be an install folder and files?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Howdy All,

I have attempt a repair install of windows, which subsequently failed.

I was able to install windows in a different directory (WinXP) and then copy
over software,system, sam, security and default files. And boot into my new
install.

But in explorer I see a folder on the C: drive labeled 66a4412f8a51aad which
contains what appears (at least to me) to be the set up files copied over
during the failed repair install.

The folder contains 992 objects:

These folders:

download
ip
lang
new

and examples of files:

cabinet.dll
inetcomm.dll
netdde.exe
netbt.sys
auupdate.exe
telnet.exe
tracert.exe
sysmod.dll
etc...

Can someone verify that this is the folder used during the failed install?
And would it be safe to delete it?

Thanks,
Brian

It is likely the directory that SP1 or SP2 used to extract itself into.
Following the installation of the service pack the directory is supposed to
automatically delete itself but sometimes it remains.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Howdy All,
>
> I have attempt a repair install of windows, which subsequently failed.
>
> I was able to install windows in a different directory (WinXP) and then
copy
> over software,system, sam, security and default files. And boot into my
new
> install.
>
> But in explorer I see a folder on the C: drive labeled 66a4412f8a51aad
which
> contains what appears (at least to me) to be the set up files copied over
> during the failed repair install.
>
> The folder contains 992 objects:
>
> These folders:
>
> download
> ip
> lang
> new
>
> and examples of files:
>
> cabinet.dll
> inetcomm.dll
> netdde.exe
> netbt.sys
> auupdate.exe
> telnet.exe
> tracert.exe
> sysmod.dll
> etc...
>
> Can someone verify that this is the folder used during the failed install?
> And would it be safe to delete it?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks Harry.

Is it safe to delete it?

> It is likely the directory that SP1 or SP2 used to extract itself into.
> Following the installation of the service pack the directory is supposed
> automatically delete itself but sometimes it remains.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Howdy All,
>>
>> I have attempt a repair install of windows, which subsequently failed.
>>
>> I was able to install windows in a different directory (WinXP) and then
> copy
>> over software,system, sam, security and default files. And boot into my
> new
>> install.
>>
>> But in explorer I see a folder on the C: drive labeled 66a4412f8a51aad
> which
>> contains what appears (at least to me) to be the set up files copied over
>> during the failed repair install.
>>
>> The folder contains 992 objects:
>>
>> These folders:
>>
>> download
>> ip
>> lang
>> new
>>
>> and examples of files:
>>
>> cabinet.dll
>> inetcomm.dll
>> netdde.exe
>> netbt.sys
>> auupdate.exe
>> telnet.exe
>> tracert.exe
>> sysmod.dll
>> etc...
>>
>> Can someone verify that this is the folder used during the failed
>> install?
>> And would it be safe to delete it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Brian

yes, poof

--
For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!