Question Could this possibly be a GPU Issue or something else entirely?

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
So, i havent turned on my pc for quite awhile now and my gpu has been lying around in its static bag for about 1 month. And my PC hasn't been turned on for like 2 whole months. And so, 3 days ago i decided to install the gpu in my PC because school was going hard on me. And once we installed the GPU, Plugged in the PCI-E Cable we were set.

I plugged the DP Cable to the GPU and I nervously clicked the power button and turned on the pc and then "No Display" i figured "oh it could probably be the ram" But i decided to leave it alone since i had class tommorow. 1 day passed by and i decided to try another cable it was a HDMI Cable and i plugged it to the Motherboard HDMI if it really was the Ram. And..... It booted straight up to windows. So i figured the DP Cable maybe needed a reseat and it working now. I can be able to use the DP output on the GPU.

And so, I set my PC up for some gaming and tests to make sure the GPU was okay because i bought it brand new-ish in a store a month ago.
So i gamed with it for awhile and this is the things i noticed: One slight bump in my table by my chair would cause the PC hanging and crash. And when i do my regular old GPU routine test by testing my gpu on FurMark and Heaven Benchmark i would hear a clicking noise around a 1-2 minute span of it testing. And it's somewhere around my front fans like something or some wire is blocking the fans but nothing is blocking it though. And on the heaven benchmark it also had the clicking noise and i figured it let's run it for 6-7 minutes and so i did it. And when it reached the 7 minute mark i was about to turn off the benchmark but it immediately crashed.

FYI: The gpu temps looked fine it wouldn't go over 90 or even 80 just at the low 75-78 ish.

(*The issue would also carry over to games not just benchmarks or stress tests so basically if the gpu hits full load the clicking noise would start appearing.*)

After i got my PC to boot again, I tried FurMark and Heaven Benchmark again and tested it for 30 minutes this time and the clicking noises are not that frequent or apparent now. Sometimes it would do clicks but it's not that extreme compared to earlier instead it would go away now. I also did a Benchmark just to be sure and sure enough the clicking noise is not that apparent now and would only happen sometimes and go away and do it again, etc. It doesnt last for over minutes now. Instead it'd only appear for only half a second or a full 2 seconds and gone.

May it be a PSU issue or a GPU let me know?

After that I noticed that it would sometimes go "NO Display" on BIOS and still would do the slight bump on the table crash issue or a hang sometimes. but the error codes that Windows would give me is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" Back then my PC wouldn't do all this things with my past gpus
And now im figuring if i should (Put it on my Mother's PC or Replace the Card) *cause i still have my 6 month warranty.*

I also forgot to mention that before buying the card we tested it in the shop's testing rig and ran Furmark for 7 mins and it had no noises but mine has. That's why i had no hesitations on buying it.

GPU: GALAX GTX 1660 TI
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST60F-ES230

Here's the clicking noise *the noise starts around the 0:20 mark*:
View: https://youtu.be/Kuve1IbtMME?si=U3vJPFfveQdeYcTQ

Last edited:

stewuie

Great
Jul 4, 2023
It sound like a wire in the GPU for the fan is hitting fan blade. Was this an open box or returned GPU.
The seller said these were GPU's that were lying around in China for display in racks. But were never used.

I also forgot to mention that before buying the card we tested it in the shop's testing rig and ran Furmark for 7 mins and it had no noises but mine has.