Question Couldnt get to BIOS, tried taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in, now nothing shows

Jul 17, 2024
I wanted to get into BIOS to change the boot order on my computer. When spamming delete or f2 on the splash screen, it would bring up a black screen and if I moved my mouse, it would bring up a green cursor that could move but there was nothing to interact with. I couldn't leave this screen with escape, and I left it running for 30 minutes with no change. The only way was to click the power button, which would turn it off immediately. I tried entering BIOS from settings in windows 10, but the UEFI option didn't come up. I read taking out the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and holding the power button for 30 seconds with everything unplugged would discharge and reset the BIOS. I did this and now it won't show anything.

I have tried reseating the GPU, running it with 1 ram stick, I have tried all 4 ram sticks individually. I have tried without the GPU and plugged into motherboard HDMI with all 4 rams sticks and just 1 ram stick. Everytime it gets stuck on 3b which is "PCH memory initalizing has started". I have tried updating the BIOS to 1903 using the ROG connect button at the back, and then read that 1309 was the most stable so I moved back to that one, still nothing. I have built 5 other computers so I feel comfortable while taking things in and out, but I am still learning a lot, any suggestions for what to try next?

Maximus V Gene motherboard
I7( bought in may 2013, but sure which one though)
4x8GB patriot RAM DDR3
EVGA Geforce GTX 670
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD(C drive)
2 x Western Digital 1 TB(wd1002faex)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your PSU and it's age?

I would reflash the BIOS to 1903, then clear the CMOS. In order to do the latter, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS from the board, press and hold down the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power, then replace the battery after 30mins.

Jul 17, 2024

I would reflash the BIOS to 1903, then clear the CMOS. In order to do the latter, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS from the board, press and hold down the power button for 30secs to drain any residual power, then replace the battery after 30mins.
Sorry I forgot that one, corsair 650M(2013)

Jul 17, 2024

Thanks for the suggestion, I updated to 1903, then cleared the CMOS by disconnecting wall power, monitors keyboard and mouse, removing the GPU to get to the CMOS battery and removing it for about 32 minutes. I held the power button down for 30 seconds during that time, and for good measure I also held down the start button on the board for 30 seconds after I did the power button. I came back after 30 minutes, put the battery back in, reseated the GPU and plugged in just the power cable. The motherboard still only made it to 3b, it's been on for about 5 minutes and is still at 3b. Any other suggestions? Is it most likely a problem with the motherboard at this point?

I also was mistaken, the PSU is Corsair TX650M(2013)