[SOLVED] Counterfeit PSU?

Aug 20, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a PSU and have found that some local places in Asia have varied pricing (50% of what it costs in US sites) for the same product...

I'm wondering if counterfeit PSUs under big brands such as Corsair / EVGA is commonplace?

If so, any tips on being able to detect it? Wouldnt want to pass up a good deal either!

Solution
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a PSU and have found that some local places in Asia have varied pricing (50% of what it costs in US sites) for the same product...

I'm wondering if counterfeit PSUs under big brands such as Corsair / EVGA is commonplace?

If so, any tips on being able to detect it? Wouldnt want to pass up a good deal either!

Hi @Catoy

1st off, welcome to the forums! As a wise man once said "Stay awhile and listen" :)

A general rule of thumb is, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is." At which point you need to exit whatever site you're on and try elsewhere. That being said, some places do charge more than others for the same item and if you find a great deal on a reputable site, then...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi everyone,

Hi @Catoy

1st off, welcome to the forums! As a wise man once said "Stay awhile and listen" :)

A general rule of thumb is, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is." At which point you need to exit whatever site you're on and try elsewhere. That being said, some places do charge more than others for the same item and if you find a great deal on a reputable site, then there is a good, though not 100%, chance that you are indeed just getting lucky. Also some items in Asia/Europe are just cheaper than the same items found here in the US. Comes down to the value of the local currency, supply/demand and even import taxes being passed onto the consumer can cause a difference in prices.

Do you have a site in mind you want to buy a PSU from? I love a good deal, but some items you really don't want to skimp on, a PSU being one such item. Does Amazon deliver to your area? They have a great return policy, should you get a bad item. A quick google search taken from multiple sites can also give a general idea if the site is fake or shady. Would need to know which sites you use though for us to give you a more educated answer than my ramble above.

Again, welcome to the forums!

Solution