Question Covert M.2 NVMe SSD to SATA ?

pard976

Reputable
Aug 1, 2018
I got a Ramsta M.2 NVMe SSD sata from someone, and the problem is, my computer doesn't have any nvme slot in the motherboard cause its an old desktop. I wonder if there is a way to convert this nvme to sata? I know that I will lose lots of bandwidth but its better than having an old HDD. If really there is a product exist out there, can you show me a picture/sample, just to make sure to buy the exact thing online.

sincerely yours,
Pard976

Might be able to use a PCIe/NVME adapter.

It's a card. Card fits into a slot. NVMe drive attaches to the card.

I use one for an NVMe data drive.

Might matter if your intent is to boot from it?

SIIG M.2 NGFF SSD M Key NVME PCIe 3.0 x 4 Card Adapter - (SC-M20014-S1)

is what I use. About 20 bucks?

pard976

Reputable
Aug 1, 2018
Might be able to use a PCIe/NVME adapter.

It's a card. Card fits into a slot. NVMe drive attaches to the card.

I use one for an NVMe data drive.

Might matter if your intent is to boot from it?

SIIG M.2 NGFF SSD M Key NVME PCIe 3.0 x 4 Card Adapter - (SC-M20014-S1)

is what I use. About 20 bucks?

Thanks you for replying asap.

I see.. So its possible by plugging it through a pcie adapter. I could buy the same thing for around 5-10 bucks, from my local online shopping app.

To your question "Might matter if your intent is to boot from it?" = yes, I intent to boot from it and use it as my main drive where I put all my applications/games. Will be there any problem if I try to boot from it? or its not possible at all?

pard976

Reputable
Aug 1, 2018
Don't know. Never tried it.

Might depend on what motherboard you have.

The adapter card might be the only game in town. 5 or 10 bucks for you to find out. Certainly worth it if successful.

I have not had any issues with that SIIG card. Get the expected speeds.

I see, I'll do more research about it then. If it really can boot through pcie, Its really worth the money.

Thx!

if it doesnt have any m2 slots, then at 100% success rate you wont be able to boot from m2 nvme drive as your bios would be lacking nvme module

there is a workaround, either editing bios to add nvme module or by using bootloader which has nvme drivers

but for nvme boot drivers, bios needs to support uefi boot

in case your bios supports uefi boot, than with workarround it would boot like this:
bios -> efi bootloader on usb or second drive -> efi nvme drivers -> windows on nvme

Last edited:

pard976

Reputable
Aug 1, 2018
Dell 3310 comes up with a whole bunch of laptops.

It would be helpful to post your actual specs. If this PC is more than five or six years old, it's doubtful that you'll be able to boot off of it, even with an adapter.
Sorry for replying late..

Link: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-3010-Desktop-Professional/dp/B00SEXH9I6

Here's the link of the desktop. Upon checking the insides I cant find the motherboard model/serial, It probably hidden behind the cpu fan.

I also upgraded the desktop specs since then:
Current Specs:
I5 3470
6gb ram 1x4gb and 1x2gb
Gt 730 1gb gddr5 (OC)

and recently change power supply.

Thank you for helping me in this thread, and I hope I provided the important info's you need.

pard976

Reputable
Aug 1, 2018
if it doesnt have any m2 slots, then at 100% success rate you wont be able to boot from m2 nvme drive as your bios would be lacking nvme module

there is a workaround, either editing bios to add nvme module or by using bootloader which has nvme drivers

but for nvme boot drivers, bios needs to support uefi boot

in case your bios supports uefi boot, than with workarround it would boot like this:
bios -> efi bootloader on usb or second drive -> efi nvme drivers -> windows on nvme

So booting on it seems like impossible, so my only choice would be to use it as a second storage where my apps/games will be stored. I'll research more about the procedures on editing my bios, even though it sounds risky.

Thx as well for replying.

USAFRet

Titan
Don't worry about editing the BIOS to force this drive to be bootable.
You'd gain no real performance.

Just leave it as a secondary drive.

"Ramsta M.2 NVMe sata "
Some details on this drive? What is its capacity?
It can't be both NVMe and SATA.

pard976

Reputable
Aug 1, 2018
Don't worry about editing the BIOS to force this drive to be bootable.
You'd gain no real performance.

Just leave it as a secondary drive.

"Ramsta M.2 NVMe sata "
Some details on this drive? What is its capacity?
It can't be both NVMe and SATA.
Sorry for the typo and thx for the help, it should been "Ramsta M.2 NVMe 256gb"

You can also check specific specs on the provided image.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Yqmxbyi1XkWjorwFlFWQOPwhx1ByRXN/view?usp=sharing

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
So booting on it seems like impossible, so my only choice would be to use it as a second storage where my apps/games will be stored. I'll research more about the procedures on editing my bios, even though it sounds risky.

It's not something I would recommend someone trying without a lot of experience.

Your best bet would be to sell it and get a 2.5" SATA SSD that will run in a normal SATA port and still be very fast compared to an HDD. You can boot off one of those, for sure.

If this adapter only cost 10 bucks try it.

The worse that happens is it won't do what you want and your out 10 bucks.