Question CPU 100% Utilize

riobijoy

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
I am writing to seek assistance with a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my computer's CPU utilization. The problem is as follows:

My system's CPU usage spikes to 100% according to the Task Manager. However, as soon as I open the Task Manager to investigate, the CPU usage immediately drops back to normal levels. Once I close the Task Manager, the CPU utilization again surges to 100%, and I can hear the system fan spinning very fast and get Hot.

This issue is affecting the performance of my system significantly, and I have been unable to pinpoint the exact cause. Below are the specifications of my system:

• Processor: Intel i5 13600k
  • RAM: 32 GB DDR5
  • GPU: Zotac RTX 2060
  • PSU: Cooler Master 650W
  • OS-Win 10 22H2 Build 19045.4529
I have tried basic troubleshooting steps such as updating drivers, checking for malware However, the problem persists.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or support you can provide to resolve this issue. Please let me know if you need any additional information or logs from my system.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Try using Process Explorer. This program is similar to the Task Manager but way more in-depth. It sounds like you have something running in the background on your computer that immediately stops as soon as it detects that the Task Manager is open.

It could be virus or malware related but it is usually something innocent like Microsoft doing some sort of update or running its memory checking utility in the background. I turn junk like that off to prevent these problems.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Reactions: CompuTronix
Jun 2, 2024
look at the currents of your power supply.I don't know how long you have it and what exactly it is but I know that the graphics card you have and the processor suck it

riobijoy

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
Try using Process Explorer. This program is similar to the Task Manager but way more in-depth. It sounds like you have something running in the background on your computer that immediately stops as soon as it detects that the Task Manager is open.

It could be virus or malware related but it is usually something innocent like Microsoft doing some sort of update or running its memory checking utility in the background. I turn junk like that off to prevent these problems.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
I have run Process explorer and seen that nothing like that but as soon as it close the process explorer also cpu utilize high and get hot and if i open again task manager or process explorer fan speed decrese and cpu utilize back to 2 or 3 percent

I am writing to seek assistance with a persistent issue I have been experiencing with my computer's CPU utilization. The problem is as follows:

My system's CPU usage spikes to 100% according to the Task Manager. However, as soon as I open the Task Manager to investigate, the CPU usage immediately drops back to normal levels. Once I close the Task Manager, the CPU utilization again surges to 100%, and I can hear the system fan spinning very fast and get Hot.

This issue is affecting the performance of my system significantly, and I have been unable to pinpoint the exact cause. Below are the specifications of my system:

• Processor: Intel i5 13600k
  • RAM: 32 GB DDR5
  • GPU: Zotac RTX 2060
  • PSU: Cooler Master 650W
  • OS-Win 10 22H2 Build 19045.4529
I have tried basic troubleshooting steps such as updating drivers, checking for malware However, the problem persists.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or support you can provide to resolve this issue. Please let me know if you need any additional information or logs from my system.
My system's CPU usage spikes to 100% according to the Task Manager
However, as soon as I open the Task Manager to investigate

How are you seeing 100% if you don't have task manager open?

riobijoy

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
My system's CPU usage spikes to 100% according to the Task Manager
However, as soon as I open the Task Manager to investigate

How are you seeing 100% if you don't have task manager open?
When i open task manager,it shows for 2 to 3 seconds then get back to low

riobijoy

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
If it only happens on this (and I just realized your OP says spikes of 100%), then this is normal. Task Manager has a lot of things it needs to do to present the information to you. After that, it's just gathering statistics once a second.
But the thing is when i close task manager the fan spin in full speed and temp goes up like anything,and then again if i open task manager cpu temp goes down as well as utilisation.

But the thing is when i close task manager the fan spin in full speed and temp goes up like anything,and then again if i open task manager cpu temp goes down as well as utilisation.
So what's the behavior here?
  • CPU appears to be at 100% all the time until Task Manager or Process Explorer is open, then goes down, but ramps back up again once they're closed and stays that way
  • CPU spikes up to 100% when opening Task Manager, then goes back down, then spikes up again after it's closed but will go back down
What you've been describing isn't very clear.

Did you try running CoreTemp? It allows monitoring cpu usage without opening Task Manager.
Or are you monitoring cpu usage with some other software?

Do you have 100% cpu usage shown with Core temp running and Task Manager closed?

riobijoy

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
So what's the behavior here?
  • CPU appears to be at 100% all the time until Task Manager or Process Explorer is open, then goes down, but ramps back up again once they're closed and stays that way
  • CPU spikes up to 100% when opening Task Manager, then goes back down, then spikes up again after it's closed but will go back down
What you've been describing isn't very clear.
I will clear you,when my cpu utilisation is 100 and fan spinning fully in that time if i open task manager or process explorer cpu utilisation drops after 1 to 2 second and back to normal but then when i close the task manager cpu utilisation throttle up again and fan spins fast and temp goes up

I will clear you,when my cpu utilisation is 100 and fan spinning fully in that time if i open task manager or process explorer cpu utilisation drops after 1 to 2 second and back to normal but then when i close the task manager cpu utilisation throttle up again and fan spins fast and temp goes up
That doesn't answer if it stays this way or if it goes away after some time.

riobijoy

Reputable
Jun 30, 2019
CPU appears to be at 100% all the time until Task Manager or Process Explorer is open, then goes down, but ramps back up again once they're closed and stays that way

Tinderbox (UK)

Commendable
Feb 22, 2022
I have an mini pc with an Intel N100 win11, during an update, task-manger was at 100% for minutes on end, while the Intel Arc software data overlay showed cpu usage at around 45%, Intel help said this is due to the different way the data is polled, but the cpu load was consistent for a long period of time, not some spikes, Ahhha, It does my head in, Anyway the guy who wrote the task manger for Microsoft has an Youtube channel out of interest.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Could it be malware that recognises when process explorer is open, and then throttles down...?
Have you tried OCCT like I suggested it would be harder to make it notice all monitoring programs since a bunch of them exist.

EDIT Heck I have a Logitech keyboard G510s and it shows my CPU and Ram usage on a display on my keyboard.

Last edited: