Jun 8, 2019
Hello everyone!
I am planning to build a PC soon. I have almost everything already decided.
When I wanted to use a Ryzen 7 1700 (which comes with a Wraith Spire cooler), the place where I'll buy ran out of stock for a long time, and I don't know if they're going to get it back.
I then decided to use a Ryzen 5 2600, but then I found out it comes with a Wraith Stealth cooler, and its heatsink is smaller than the Spire, so I guess its performance is worse. I've read both positive and negative comments. If I'm not going to do overclock, and I run the CPU at its Turbo speed (3.7GHz I think?), will the stock cooler be enough? Should I wait for stock for the R7 1700 that comes with a better cooler, and the performance is different?
Just so you can have an idea, I think I will use a CoolerMaster MB500, which comes with 3 coolers (2 front for intake, with an air filter, and 1 in the back for exhaust). My GPU will be an open air one (not blower), probably an RX 580 or RX Vega 56 With that, will I have good temperatures in CPU and GPU?

TL;DR:
Is the Wraith Stealth enough for a Ryzen 5 2600 at spec turbo speed, or should I go for a Ryzen 7 1700 with Wraith Spire?
Is the CoolerMaster MB500 case good, with 2 intake and 1 exhaust fan?
With that case and an open air GPU (RX 580 or RX Vega 56, at stock speeds), will the thermal performance of both CPU and GPU be fine?

Solution
By running the Ryzen 5 2600 at turbo speed (3.9 GHz), do you mean disabling turbo and OC'ing all the CPU's cores to 3.9GHz? If so, the stock cooler may be right at the margin, but safe.

If you mean just leaving the CPU at stock and letting it run some cores at turbo speed as normal, the cooler will be fine. That's what it was designed for.

The case looks great. Plenty of airflow from stock and good ventilaton.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
By running the Ryzen 5 2600 at turbo speed (3.9 GHz), do you mean disabling turbo and OC'ing all the CPU's cores to 3.9GHz? If so, the stock cooler may be right at the margin, but safe.

If you mean just leaving the CPU at stock and letting it run some cores at turbo speed as normal, the cooler will be fine. That's what it was designed for.

Solution
Jun 8, 2019

I mean running as it normally does. I'm not sure how the turbo works.
I won't OC, at least not in the short term (maybe later to avoid buying a new CPU, but I could get a new cooler if I did)

Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
At stock (no OC), the number of cores that will actually run at turbo (3.9GHz) depends on the cooling situation and volatge. As long as the core temps are below a certain level and the auto voltage remains below a certain threshold, the core(s) will increase up to 3.9GHz. As those parameters become exceeded, the max core speed will decrease... eventually back to 3.4GHz.