Question CPU and GPU completely underutilized and pc is massively underperforming

boonker

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
I hope I can get some help. I have tried what feels like every fix.

I recently upgraded to a rx 6800 xt, an 850watt psu, and updated my graphics drivers.

Using a system performance overlay I can see that my cpu flickers between 1-8% utilization, gpu sits between 40-50% yet my uncapped fps in rocket league cannot hold 240 fps with hyper fluxuation to even 100 making everything look very flickery and terrible.

temps are all under 60 ram util also about 50%

battlefield 1 can barely hold 100fps (again gpu and cpu not near full util) but looking up my gpu cpu combination people are getting 300 fps high settings is bf1

Attempted fixes:
I've reset my pc from media creation usb
tried windows 10 and 11
updated graphics drivers
updated bios
updated chipset drivers
changed ram slots (a1b1 to a2b2) toggled xmp ram profile
changed every graphic setting combo toggle freesync etc.
changed displayport cables and port
switched power options to high performance
im sure im forgetting a few things ive tried.

ryzen 5 1600 (AF)
asrock b450 pro 4
sapphire pulse rx 6800 xt
3200mhz ddr4 16gb
850watt sfx cooler master psu
samsung 500gb m.2 (c drive)
crucial 1tb ssd windows 11

Any help would be reeaaaally appreciated considering i cashed out for the gpu.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
From what GPU did you upgrade? Try Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure you clear out everything. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

As long as you have dual channel memory working at 3200, that shouldn't be a problem.

Battlefield 1 and other Frostbite engine games can be misleading. The multiplayer performance will be much worse and way more CPU dependent than single player benchmark maps. You need to confirm what you were looking at to use that as a measure.

I would suggest a CPU upgrade at some point. 1600AF is a little outdated compared to the GPU. You will get a much better experience.

boonker

Commendable
Dec 1, 2020
From what GPU did you upgrade? Try Display Driver Uninstaller to make sure you clear out everything. https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

As long as you have dual channel memory working at 3200, that shouldn't be a problem.

Battlefield 1 and other Frostbite engine games can be misleading. The multiplayer performance will be much worse and way more CPU dependent than single player benchmark maps. You need to confirm what you were looking at to use that as a measure.

I would suggest a CPU upgrade at some point. 1600AF is a little outdated compared to the GPU. You will get a much better experience.
thanks for the reply. I had an r9 390 before. I completely reinstalled windows from usb tool and fresh installed graphics drivers (on a new m.2 as well) and still have the issue would ddu do anything different?

I will def upgrade my cpu at some point but the fact that my pc performs worse than when I was using an 8 year old gpu is what I wanna fix

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
DDU shouldn't do anything to a fresh install.

Download GPU-Z, and run some games or benchmarks. Benchmarks would be preferred since that can be directly compared to others. There should be a section called PerfCap (Performance Capping) This will tell you what is causing any GPU issues that would slow it down.

Throttlestop would be another tool you could use to check the CPU, but a simple cinebench run to see if you compare favorably to other 1600 AF (Or just slightly less than a 2600)

Power supply might be the limiting factor, but you would have to see if it is overheating with an external temperature sensor.