Question CPU and Graphics Card Decision help

Flow483

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Long story short im deciding between 2 cpus and 2 gpus and which one to pair with each other. Keep in mind this is for 90% gaming.

Cpus: i7-13700k and ryzen 7 7800x3d
Gpus: 6800xt or 4070 or 4070ti

I heard great things about the 6800xt and I do understand that some people still have reservation on Radeon graphics cards but I think they have come a long way. The main reason though is I can get a 6800xt for 450 dollars which is an incredible deal in my opinion for that card. Budget is not a huge concern, but i feel like passing on the 6800xt is a mistake. Im also not wasteful so. I was originally going to go with the 13700k and the 6800xt pairing but wanted to reach out here and see what people had to say.

Cheers everyeone!

Based on the reviews and benchmarks, the 7800x3d with the 4070Ti sounds like the most optimal combination, but the 6800xt is also a good choice vis a vis price to performance.
Since you have not mentioned your resolution, this is based on assuming you are on 1440p...

Flow483

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Based on the reviews and benchmarks, the 7800x3d with the 4070Ti sounds like the most optimal combination, but the 6800xt is also a good choice vis a vis price to performance.
Since you have not mentioned your resolution, this is based on assuming you are on 1440p...

Yeah 1440p

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
I was Team Nvidia for 20 years. Bought a 6800 XT a couple of months ago and boy oh boy, I don't think I'm ever going back to Nvidia. Great price, great performance. And waaay better control panel imo. Got mine from Sapphire Nitro+, I'm really happy with it. Btw I'm playing on 4k, 60fps, high settings, no problems. Undervolted it to 1020mV, now even Resident Evil 4 Remake doesn't make my GPU run hotter than 60'C. I could crank up the graphics even higher, but I'm fine like this. I love this GPU so far. But if you're a fan of extreme graphics, than I guess you're better of with Nvidia. Can't say for sure though, I never tried ultra settings in my games. I really don't care about graphic details past a certain point. If you're a guy like me, the 6800 XT will make you happy. If you're a guy like my friend who needs to see every grain of dust in 4k, with ambient occlusion and ray tracing, then it's Nvidia all the way I think.

Reactions: Flow483

Flow483

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
I was Team Nvidia for 20 years. Bought a 6800 XT a couple of months ago and boy oh boy, I don't think I'm ever going back to Nvidia. Great price, great performance. And waaay better control panel imo. Got mine from Sapphire Nitro+, I'm really happy with it. Btw I'm playing on 4k, 60fps, high settings, no problems. Undervolted it to 1020mV, now even Resident Evil 4 Remake doesn't make my GPU run hotter than 60'C. I could crank up the graphics even higher, but I'm fine like this. I love this GPU so far. But if you're a fan of extreme graphics, than I guess you're better of with Nvidia. Can't say for sure though, I never tried ultra settings in my games. I really don't care about graphic details past a certain point. If you're a guy like me, the 6800 XT will make you happy. If you're a guy like my friend who needs to see every grain of dust in 4k, with ambient occlusion and ray tracing, then it's Nvidia all the way I think.
great response. And no I’m not. Even if my comouter can run on high graphics. I still drop my settings lower for higher fps. I’m looking forward to the 6800xt

rbogomolec

Honorable
Nov 16, 2017
great response. And no I’m not. Even if my comouter can run on high graphics. I still drop my settings lower for higher fps. I’m looking forward to the 6800xt
Cool, I think you'll like it then. Also, don't forget to look at some YouTube videos that show you how to configure the settings in the GPU control panel (called Adrenalin) for best performance. For example, if you don't need more than 60fps in your games, just turn on Radeon Chill (it tells your GPU that 60fps is enough and that it doesn't need to work harder than that). There are also other useful setting like that, which you can make use of if you're not a 4k-ultra-settings-200fps freak. These settings and the undervolt made my GPU run super-smooth without ever breaking a sweat. I went through Shadow of Tomb Raider on high settings in 4k and the temps peaked at 75'C, while most of the time being around 65'C. Considering that I have a cramped PC case and no extra fans whatsoever, these are some really nice temps I think. I'm playing Resident Evil 4 Remake now (also high settings) with the side of my PC case open (cuz it's mid-summer here and the room temperature is really high) and the GPU temps while gaming actually never passed 60'C, mostly the are 50-55'C. As for the power consumption, I've seen videos where this GPU hits 400W, but mine never pulled more than 210W so far, even on demanding games. And even that was just once, before I adjusted the setting to my liking. Usually it pulls around 120W in Resident Evil and Tomb Raider. I'm really happy about this GPU.

I'm the same as you. I also could've afforded a more expensive GPU, but I also didn't want to spend extra money if not necessary. And I'm really happy with this GPU so far. I can only recommend it. If you can, grab one from Sapphire Nitro+. Only they have an extra option that lets you use custom resolution. Not that you'll need it with this GPU for now, but it might prove to be very useful in like 4-5 years. It let's you lower the resolution for any % you like and then upscales the missing part. Let's say I'm playing 4k on high settings but I can only get 56fps. So I lower the resolution for like 15%, upscale the rest and that gives me the 4fps boost that I needed. The upscaled picture is maybe 1% less pretty than the original. I tried it out and didn't even see the difference. It's like Nvidia's DLSS, but it works ON EVERY GAME. Yes. Even on Emulators. There are some videos on YouTube about it, if you're interested.

As for the CPU, it's probably better to get Ryzen then. I think you get a 5-10% performance boost if you pair AMD with AMD. At least that's what I've read on forums. But if you still wanna go for Intel, that's also ok. I'm running this GPU paired with a i5 9400f and there are no problems whatsoever. I researched a lot about this topic before trying to pair AMD and Intel, but I didn't find a single case where people would have problems. And I can also confirm it myself now.

Reactions: Flow483