Solution
Hello! I noticed that my cpu is being at 100% most of the time (my cpu is the i5-5200 2.20ghz) so i checked my speccy and at some moment i saw this: View: https://imgur.com/a/kXTiOuc

I have a laptop and the thermal paste hasnt been replaced since it was made. Please help me cuz im scared of my laptop dying because of the cpu.
CPU won't die as it will not allow temperatures that can cause harm. But to do that it will throttle it's performance when temp reaches ~100C to keep itself cool. Changing thermal paste is a good idea including cleaning the insides too as it will help with better and effective air cooling. But manually opening laptop might void it's warranty (If it's still in the warranty...

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Hello! I noticed that my cpu is being at 100% most of the time (my cpu is the i5-5200 2.20ghz) so i checked my speccy and at some moment i saw this: View: https://imgur.com/a/kXTiOuc

I have a laptop and the thermal paste hasnt been replaced since it was made. Please help me cuz im scared of my laptop dying because of the cpu.
CPU won't die as it will not allow temperatures that can cause harm. But to do that it will throttle it's performance when temp reaches ~100C to keep itself cool. Changing thermal paste is a good idea including cleaning the insides too as it will help with better and effective air cooling. But manually opening laptop might void it's warranty (If it's still in the warranty period).
And if it's your first time, better have someone experienced look over you.

BTW, how's your idle temp? and what do you mean "CPU is at 100% all the time"? Which process is eating up that much CPU resource?(Check on Task manager).

[Plz include full system specs and how many years you've been using it]

Solution

Sparklingtube

Commendable
Jun 12, 2021
CPU won't die as it will not allow temperatures that can cause harm. But to do that it will throttle it's performance when temp reaches ~100C to keep itself cool. Changing thermal paste is a good idea including cleaning the insides too as it will help with better and effective air cooling. But manually opening laptop might void it's warranty (If it's still in the warranty period).
And if it's your first time, better have someone experienced look over you.

BTW, how's your idle temp? and what do you mean "CPU is at 100% all the time"? Which process is eating up that much CPU resource?(Check on Task manager).

[Plz include full system specs and how many years you've been using it]
Hi, I'm in the car rn so I don't know my full specs but here are some I remember: 8gb ram, intel hd 5500, amd radeon 255, laptop is: hp 450 g2 or 470 g2 idk anymore please say if I'm missing something

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
Hi, I'm in the car rn so I don't know my full specs but here are some I remember: 8gb ram, intel hd 5500, amd radeon 255, laptop is: hp 450 g2 or 470 g2 idk anymore please say if I'm missing something
No, as it's a laptop, this much is enough. Try checking CPU resources to see why it goes 100% and check individual core temperatures too. (I use MSI Afterburner for that)

Sparklingtube

Commendable
Jun 12, 2021
Laptop internals are really compact and hard to deal with without experience. I would first try to see why it's going 100% at all times. Btw how many days has it been since you bought it? Usage wears thermal paste over time
At least not the whole time but most of the time, but the laptop is I think from 2016 and it's really hot even when I only use chrome

Ziadul87

Reputable
BANNED
At least not the whole time but most of the time, but the laptop is I think from 2016 and it's really hot even when I only use chrome
Then cleaning the vents, insides and reapplying thermal paste is a really good option. (To the point where it's actually recommended if you can do it)

Careful though. Laptops are very difficult to open and disassemble. Lots of screws and tiny wired connections here and there. If something doesn't want to move, don't force it. You might be overlooking a screw or cable connection.

Also, follow a video guide to avoid amateurish mistakes while disassembling laptop and applying thermal paste.
And CLEAN THE DUSTS INSIDE AS WELL. Otherwise changing thermal paste will lose its effectiveness.

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

It would be rare to find a big fix by repasting on a laptop.
That is usually a difficult procedure and you may risk causing damage.

Sparklingtube

Commendable
Jun 12, 2021
Then cleaning the vents, insides and reapplying thermal paste is a really good option. (To the point where it's actually recommended if you can do it)

Careful though. Laptops are very difficult to open and disassemble. Lots of screws and tiny wired connections here and there. If something doesn't want to move, don't force it. You might be overlooking a screw or cable connection.

Also, follow a video guide to avoid amateurish mistakes while disassembling laptop and applying thermal paste.
And CLEAN THE DUSTS INSIDE AS WELL. Otherwise changing thermal paste will lose its effectiveness.
Yeah and while playing roblox (GreenVille) Just to test its at 92-100 celsius

Apr 23, 2021
If you didn't open it since 2016 to clean the fans and cooling fins, I bet my money that everything is clogged with dust, which reduces the already poor airfoil inside the laptop ( any laptop has this problem, not yours in particular). Poor airflow --> poor cooling --> high temps.

Also, consider that due to normal wearing, the internal electrical resistance of the components increases with time. So even at perfect, replicable airflow + cooling conditions, the same exact processor will become warmer and warmer as it ages.

It is very likely that the high temps you are having are a combination of the two.

If feel comfortable opening the laptop, as many other suggested do it and clean everything from the dust, very gently. So you clean the fans, then detach the heat spreader, clean the fins, reapply thermal paste, reattach the heat spreader. if you don't feel comfortable, have a technician do it for you :)

Sparklingtube

Commendable
Jun 12, 2021
If you didn't open it since 2016 to clean the fans and cooling fins, I bet my money that everything is clogged with dust, which reduces the already poor airfoil inside the laptop ( any laptop has this problem, not yours in particular). Poor airflow --> poor cooling --> high temps.

Also, consider that due to normal wearing, the internal electrical resistance of the components increases with time. So even at perfect, replicable airflow + cooling conditions, the same exact processor will become warmer and warmer as it ages.

It is very likely that the high temps you are having are a combination of the two.

If feel comfortable opening the laptop, as many other suggested do it and clean everything from the dust, very gently. So you clean the fans, then detach the heat spreader, clean the fins, reapply thermal paste, reattach the heat spreader. if you don't feel comfortable, have a technician do it for you :)
Hello again! So, i did what you said back then, there was little to no dust in the laptop, (i was VERY surprised because it had not been opened for ATLEAST 4-5 years) and i reapplied the thermal paste, now half a year later, my laptop sometimes just freezes and i have to force shutdown and reboot it to make it work again, just ran a stress test, it goes to the shutdown temps (105 degrees celcius) but does not shutdown or freeze, how can this happen?